Handy Cooler and Warmer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few months back I tried to replace a small cooler that I once had and it was great because it held about 9 cans of coke, Most of the posts/claims out there claim that they use a lot of power, Anyways I bought it and last week I decided to test it out and it seems to cool drinks down enough Not like the ARB but it does ok when you consider it cost around 40 bucks, With an ambient temp of 21*c it got down to about 6*c +/- which is good enough for the job, Anyways this new version has a switch on the front so now you can turn it from a cooler to a warmer, what surprized me was the temp it got up to and the power it used, within and hour or so it had heated it's self up to around 65*c which is close to the temp where hot food is enjoyable where you can get stuck in and not burn ya mouth. Back when I was driving Trucks we use to wire food parcels to a plate mounted near the Turbo/manifold and pull up a couple of hours down the road and it was ready to eat, but with this handy gizmo life is a bit more civilized, Just chuck in a few pies and snag roll and Jobs a Gooden.

On the Cold setting it peaked at 2.7 Amps for less than half a second and right away it was reading 1.36Amps +/- and it stayed there for the 6 hours I tested it for, So I switched it off and then I thought I would try the hot setting, It got up to 60 odd degrees and I tested the Amperage again, this is where it really surprized me, On the Hot setting it uses 1.14 Amps Now I would of thought that the hot setting would have drawn the most current but No it does not, Even if you leave it running in ya truck after ya journey while you set up camp and go of and do a bit of detecting and come back after about 6 hours it's only going to use 6.84 Amps which is nothing really ?

This thing Is Ideal for those long trips if you don't want to pay over the odds for hot food along the way and I can really recommend these little coolers, my last on lasted over 6 years closer to 8, and it only died because I left it in the truck for a couple of winters without using it,

Anyways have a think about it because it really surprized and I like it that much that I might even order another one for later if this one ever gives up the ghost,

This is the one I am talking about, Hope that helps.

John.

1502963750_small_cooler.jpg

7.62marksman said:
Thanks mate i will give it a long think and watch your post to see the outcome of your test

Well I am using my Kestrel Shooting Ano doodad so I know it is spot on, So heres what happened for the first hour. Baring in mind it does not help with the heating of it when you open the Lid every 10 minutes,

Starting Temp 21/22c degree's

10 mins =32.2 = 10.2 gain,
20 mins =41.6 = 9.4* gain,
30 mins =47.3 = 5.7* gain,
40 mins =51.4 = 4.1* gain,
50 mins =53.0 = 1.6* gain,,,, I opened it 3X here.
60 mins =54.1 = 1.1* gain.

All up during this hour I opened it 13 times in total,

Now I am testing it keeping the lid closed for an hour non stop and I have got 25 minutes left to wait,

hope that helps,

John.

7.62marksman said:
That first link you gave me well i have found the exact same one for sale here same pictures and all
Ebay australia
$28.99 au
They must be importing them

well that sounds like a good deal does that include the postage ?

I got 17 minutes to go.

John.

Well it got up to 67*c in an hour and it will get hotter, I might leave it on for another hour or two and see just how hot it will get and then I will let it cool down naturally and then try the fridge mode and see what that goes down to,

67*c is pretty hot when you consider that when you do the washing up the water is normally around 46*c and that is about the limit you want to put your hands in,

Funny thing is the outside is just normal room temp and there are no hot spots on it.

John.

7.62marksman said:
Yes that sounds like the way to go i can have a hot lunch/dinner with little work
Partner makes them in containers then i just heat up
God i am in heaven :lol: :lol:

Well I bought a One Amp 12v wall wort with a cigar lighter socket on it and it runs real good on that, I got it from out version of Dick Smiths for about 15/20 bucks for my AA battery chargers and it runs this thing fine 55/65* is pretty hot, you only have to try sticking ya hands in water around that temp to see what it feels like.

John.

Well I just stuck my hands in water that was 51*c and it will make you jump and mutter under ya breath,

I reckon it should work Ok.

I just used a Laser to measure the Heat inside it and the bottom was 57.5*c and at the front there is a square transfer plate and it was reading 84.3*c So it's not far off boiling point and there is a Thermal cut out which turns it off at around 57-58.5 degrees and then 5 maybe 10 minutes later it will turn it's self back on which is good because it won't knacker ya battery, Once it is up to Temp just like a normal fridge it recycles it's self. If you want things really hot then you need to load them up the front touch that plate or close to it,

At 84*+ is almost hot enough to cause blisters so watch ya fingers, I am testing it's minimum and Maximum Temps now,

John.

Latest posts