Minelab Question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravOz

Wayne
Reaction score
Hi Guys when the 4k came out we bought one and got a few months under our belt detecting in FNQ. we sold it due to work commitments before it got to much age on it lol. my question is this we are about to travel oz again for the third time and well is it worth the upgrade to latest greatest minelab or should i stick with what i know? as all i remember was it was a massive learning curve at the time and we sure did dig deep for those boot tacks on the Palmer River. any help would be great cheers :)

TravOz said:
Hi Guys when the 4k came out we bought one and got a few months under our belt detecting in FNQ. we sold it due to work commitments before it got to much age on it lol. my question is this we are about to travel oz again for the third time and well is it worth the upgrade to latest greatest minelab or should i stick with what i know? as all i remember was it was a massive learning curve at the time and we sure did dig deep for those boot tacks on the Palmer River. any help would be great cheers :)

I would say that the 4500 will fit the bill nicely or maybe the SDC because it a real fine Gold getter, but the 4500 will give you more options and more coils ta boot.

hope that helps,

John.

Thx John. I remember the 4000 being a beast and found us some nice gold in Georgetown but alas not the Palmer although many drinks were partaken there lol. money isnt the issue was just wondering ppls opinion on whether the upgrade is worth the coin. cheers and thx again mate :Y:

Ive got the 2300,5000 ,7000 personally ill go 7000 and a 2300 with the new update in the 7000 im inpressed but it heavy, 2300 sniff out little gold and ucan get it out and go im just setting my self up at the moment after summer look out aussie land im just brought 7000 and ready 10 g,5.5g golden triangle there got the 7000 handling salt WA 5000 is good but get ur head around it timings etc

Yeah mate I have pondered the same thing a few times, the GPX 5000 is the ultimate PI but the 4500 is a real workhorse so much so ML re-released it just over a year ago, That's the one I'd be getting, and it is pretty close to your 4K so It won't take you long before you start seeing results.

John.

Hi TravOz. I agree with dam it. You did state: "is it worth the upgrade to latest greatest minelab or should i stick with what i know? as all i remember was it was a massive learning curve at the time" , then I reckon dam it's answer is spot on.
More expensive, but you also stated that money wasn't a problem. The GPZ-7000 is the latest & greatest minelab for gold; will handle hot ground and is not as complex as the 4500 to set-up and run (IMHO). I have a 4500 and have also used the Zed in FNQ.

cool so it's the 4500 workhorse or go the legs and get 7000. i mean dont get me wrong of course I want the seven lol was just curious is it all it's cracked up to be. sulks now still have a wife to answer too lol thx guys

TravOz said:
cool so it's the 4500 workhorse or go the legs and get 7000. i mean dont get me wrong of course I want the seven lol was just curious is it all it's cracked up to be. sulks now still have a wife to answer too lol thx guys

Easy decision TravOz, buy yourself the GPZ7000 and the SDC2300 for the missus, then she can't complain. :Y: :Y: :) :)

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
TravOz said:

Easy decision TravOz, buy yourself the GPZ7000 and the SDC2300 for the missus, then she can't complain. :Y: :Y: :) :)

Cheers

Doug

Spot on :Y: RH62 happy wife happy life, even happier when you or she dig up the yellow. TravOz as others have said if you've got the coin and time a Zed and 2300 are the best arsenal money can buy.

madtuna said:
As much as I loved my 4500's and 5000's, if I could only have 1 detector there's no question it would be a 7000. The proof for me is in the end of year tally.

I would want to hope so due to the cost of a 7000.

Just make sure you are happy to swing the weight of the 7..Some guys I know have a 7 and a 4500 and don't like the weight of the 7 and have sold them..Depends how many hrs you want to swing for,I guess..These guys are pretty fit and swing all day..But age does catch up with you..

Baldy said:
Just make sure you are happy to swing the weight of the 7..Some guys I know have a 7 and a 4500 and don't like the weight of the 7 and have sold them..Depends how many hrs you want to swing for,I guess..These guys are pretty fit and swing all day..But age does catch up with you..

As long as you are using the harness, and have it adjusted correctly, there is little 'weight'. I am an 'old fart' and with the harness I can swing the 7 all day, no problems, easier than the SDC! If you want to show how 'macho' you are, and try it without...then yes, it's bloody heavy!

madtuna said:
As much as I loved my 4500's and 5000's, if I could only have 1 detector there's no question it would be a 7000. The proof for me is in the end of year tally.

Totally agree.

Latest posts