Need help identifying my recent finds - bullets are included!!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Any comments on my finds? What could they be? Medals? Trophy parts? Designs off a case holding the gun and bullets? Bullets look to be 303 calibre? Ends are worn. Bullets have been in the ground for some time judging by the rust? How old are 303 calibre bullets?

I can only guess they are at least 50-100 years old as I found them in a field near an old school that dates back to the 1800's.

YES - all in the same hole pretty much if not a few inches away from the first item taken out of the earth!!

Looks like a knights head with his shield, second knight not found (even on second trip) so bottom of shield only, and a spoon, all broken sadly. on the back of the knights shield is stamped "21". Also two small dent holes where you would add glue to stick to a surface. Maybe not so old??

1502790146_20170811_191152_450x800.jpg

1502790191_20170713_173123_800x450.jpg

Check the head stamps on the brass, often has letters and numbers which can then be used to identify the calibre, manufacturer and year.

Those are really interesting....Not sure what they're from/off, maybe a jewellery box, who knows really....Research on Google may shed some light. :) :Y:

Had a closer look at the bullets, no numbers as its fairly rusted but I can make out something on one it says

C A . . . 1A

That's my best interpretation. The dots are either corroded letters or spaces...

I don't know much about bullets but agree that the ornate item/s on left are the 2 parts of a sugar spoon. The other ornate items look really interesting but can't place them.

It's not a sugar spoon, if it is then it's the smallest spoon in the world. No bigger than your pinkie finger...

It has to be off a school crest or shooters club shield...It was found in the same hole as the bullets!!

Time will tell :)

Bullets might be old.
You can still buy 303 rounds today.
On the base of the case it should have the cal and maker.
Lee Enfield or Springfield .303
Chuck them in a ultrasonic cleaner with a few drops of detergent and cream of tartar.
A few runs through they'll look like new brass.
Cheers cam

Cameronpatrol said:
Bullets might be old.
You can still buy 303 rounds today.
On the base of the case it should have the cal and maker.
Lee Enfield or Springfield .303
Chuck them in a ultrasonic cleaner with a few drops of detergent and cream of tartar.
A few runs through they'll look like new brass.
Cheers cam

Cool thanks :Y:

Latest posts