Digging in public parks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
everyone, I've always wanted to give a park a shot.
Just wondering, do you just dig a hole and fill it in nicely and you should be fine?
I don't want to get in trouble for digging up the park.
Cheers,

Your going to get all sorts of answers.

Someone will suggest a probe which i have used and
Scratched a coin while i prefer to cut a plug.

I hate detecting parks as i have been challenged twice
If i was allowed to do it.

My preference of time is 6.30am so no one is around.

As always each to their own and have fun..

Define park is the best way to go about it, if it means a sports oval i wouldnt touch it, if it is a park and the grass is long yes there are ways to dig without damage
But if the park is trashy how many holes are you going to dig and how good are you at digging holes
I think if you are more experienced and can retrieve coins or relics with very little disturbance to the ground you wont really need to ask the question

the duck said:
Define park is the best way to go about it, if it means a sports oval i wouldnt touch it, if it is a park and the grass is long yes there are ways to dig without damage
But if the park is trashy how many holes are you going to dig and how good are you at digging holes
I think if you are more experienced and can retrieve coins or relics with very little disturbance to the ground you wont really need to ask the question

great reply..

The best advice I could give you is watch vids on youtube. Search for 'coin popping' will bring up thousands, from there just follow on with suggested vids in the links.

One golden rule, 'Leave it as you found it'. Using that rule you can decide for yourself what the best method will be.

If you have a pin pointer and it can detect if from the surface, your target is very shallow and a screwdriver/probe will do the job. With practice and time you can get very efficient at this.

If the target is deeper, cut a plug. I usually cut a 6" semi circle and fold back leaving a good section attached. Once you have your target out, fold back the plug, press down, no-one will ever know. At this time of year, when the ground is wet, I'll do that almost anywhere. In the summer months when the ground is dry, be more careful because council mowers can lift plugs out if there has been no watering to help bind the ground back together.

If you have a knife, you can cut a slit 6" or 8" long, lift the turf on each side from approx 2" deep and pull back in both directions allowing you to dig underneath. Once you have your target out, refill the hole and then fold back the turf.

Another thing to take is an old tea towel or similar, lay it down and place any removed soil on it. Once you have your target, empty the towel into the hole, replace the turf and the whole area is clean.

Most importantly use your own discretion. If that area was yours, how would you like it treated and left? If you really are wary about any particular park, ring the council for permission. Most are ok if you go the right way about it, especially in country areas.

Paul.

Contact your local Council & ask them. In NSW a Park is a public space & my local Council is OK with me detecting there, but as others have written, only cut 3 sides of a hole or use probe & screwdriver methods if possible. Basically what DaBilda has written & like him, I prefer to dig when the ground is damp so the grass has a better chance of growing back quickly. I also make a practice to not dig on Fridays (before a weekend) or when any-one is using the Park.

All I can say is if you are not confident or capable of digging neat plugs, then don't go digging holes all over the place, particularly in heavily manicured areas. Stick to practicing in your own yard first up, or the more ratty areas surrounding ovals and in reserves. Secondly, get a decent tool specific to the task, don't use a shovel or unsuitable garden trowel, some are ok, others make more of a mess than cut a nice clean plug. Look at Predator Tools in the US, they makes some great turf tools including the well known Lesche, or the similar Garrett turf tool.

I detect at night, so I generally never encounter people, plus I ensure that I am proficient at digging plugs so I can access a wider number of areas for detecting. Some plugs are so well disguised, I actually detected a target unknowingly under someone elses previous plug, I was wondering why it was so easy to dig. :D

Thanks for the replays everyone, I've decided it probably isn't the best idea. I'll try to find a less-popular park in the area.

DaBilda said:
One golden rule, 'Leave it as you found it'. Using that rule you can decide for yourself what the best method will be.

Agree, try fill and tidy the hole up as best you can. Shouldn't have any problems by doing that :cool:

StirFX said:
Thanks for the replays everyone, I've decided it probably isn't the best idea. I'll try to find a less-popular park in the area.

Go for the stuff on top first, then try the screwdriver/ pinpointer method, as long as you don't make a mess it should be fine, really depends on the park though.

This is what is going to sink your hobby,clowns making mess like this in a well know area.
I would call this "NO BRAINS"
I said before we must tread carefully.

9FnDQLWl.jpg

rUvU4oUl.jpg

TheDigger :mad: :mad: :mad:

Lets hope they weren't finished yet and are still to finish up and then clean=up.

Good evening guys,

Just a quick question about what sort of tools and technique do you use to dig in public parks? I have been over to the park across the road and have got plenty of readings but have not been game to dig up the grass. Your advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

Haha cheers guys I like the screwdriver idea, don't know if I'll be bringing out the cloth or the muffs thanks for the help

MMmm, well I did two parks today. I have my own rules.... I never detect in the "working part" of the oval. That means I only detect edges and where supporters watch from. I never make a show of detecting.
I never cut a plug right out, I cut 3 sides only. I defy anybody to find my holes. I always place any dirt on a tea towel. I never work on a manicured lawn. Just use common sense and respect, never ask for permission unless it is private land you wish to detect.
If I dont think I can get the target in a 2" plug I leave it.
They are my rules only...for me, but I have never had any trouble.
Hope that helps.

Thomas

Practice makes perfect. In winter you can get away with a lot more than any other season. I 100% of the time I use the slit method and a pin pointer. Using the one cut method I find in winter no area is really "out of bounds", except private property. 1 cut with the lesche like a surgeon doing keyhole surgery. Dirt on an old black tee shirt where you need to get a little deeper.
Just be smart, better to stagger a few hunts over a couple of weeks, and pick times that cause the least amount of interest. If your nervous do a bit of practice in your own backyard or out in a paddock/vacant block.
Always good to check out if there's any by laws against it though....a few parks in certain areas are no go zones.

Battersby said:
Thanks for the tips, hopefully get out this week and try some of these techniques.

GL, post pics! Not only of your missus, but your finds as well ;)

Latest posts