How coins and objects get to where you find them.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameronpatrol

Cameron
Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm curious as to how coins and bits and pieces get to where they are in parks etc.
I get how coins are found in parks. Dropped by someone etc.
Watching the English and euro videos. They are finding old Roman coins etc.
They have a much more historical story to their lands.
But what about in Australia?
I live in sale Victoria. And find it hard to belle that there would be some nice old bits and bobs in our parks.
Still waiting for my detector to arrive but I wouldn't feel at ease digging, probing etc in public places.
It's hard to explaine what I'm trying to ask or say on screen lol.
I guess before current towns there would have been bush and paddocks.
Back in the early early days would people have been passing through or camping in these areas to drop and leave artifacts?
Do we have the same sort of riches as in the UK and historical areas such as europe and the rest of the world?
As in the big picture Australia is pretty young.
Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers cam

1502621144_image.jpg

This guy layed out his gear every night, washed and hung his clothes and drank his fair share of rum around a warm campfire with fellow travellers that enevitably resulted in wild dancing and tumbles. The amount of harmonicas I have found with old coins and buttons indicate times were entertaining.

Travellers rests in the days of foot and horse travel are now parks and reserves.

Although, I think most of my bush coinspills have been from camp areas or more importantly they have been found in adjacent areas near rocks or trees where one can be civilised and drop ones pants for a nice peaceful bush crap.

dont forget Bushrangers riding hard dropping some coins
some have been known or suspected of burying their takings (then getting captured never revealing where they buried it)
then as above you have travelers heading for the gold fields or coming back with pockets of cash

That makes sense.
it would be interesting to find old trails from back in the day and have a one around.
I believe there's one not far from sale I started riding my bike up it one day.
:Y:

You have to put yourself in the shoes of the people from the early 1900's and 1800's, and think of what activites would have been a part of normal everyday life, where they might likely have taken place, and whay might possibly have been dropped there. Life was so much more simpler back then, a social outing might have meant a visit to a local lake, river's edge, or a location with a view etc.

Where were things like waterholes for those travelling on horseback, or on stockroutes - there were many shops, hotels, inns and cottages that now have no surface evidence of them ever existing.

Roads back then may have taken a completely different route than what we currently have with our moden highway system, where were the postal routes, telegraph stations and stage coach stops.

There are so many possibilities and reasons why coins are where they are, sometimes it's just blind luck that you come across ideal areas, other times it is down to a good session of research to locate a paying site so to speak.

coins are where people were. We dont have much coin history, the black fellas didnt need them.

thanks for the relplies fellas.
I typed a nice post but somehow lost it.
Anyways had a look around the vic library and found some old maps.
Also I watched a tutorial by AussieBlokeProspector on how to drive geovic preoperly.
Awsome program/site.
The poor old patrol is going to be doing some lms thats for sure, more weekednds out bush with the kids and myself is better than couch time anyday.
looking forward to finding some old things and the yellow stuff.
cheers cam :)

Best to do your research on a park, how old it is, was it used for market days or festivals in the past....??

You would be wasting your time if it was a rubbish dump and back filled in the day now turned into a modern park land! Mostly trash. I found one of those once, had to figure out where the new ground started verses the original "virgin" ground, guess what? Found all the good stuff near the road along the foot paths or near the park benches hint hint... found nothing interesting on the back filled area!

Locals, especially the older generation are you best history channel. Ask them and if they are friendly they can tell you some true history on the area. One guy came up to me once and said, your wasting your time, this used to be a river and was back filled...try down there.. that's where the waters edge started and people hopped on the ferry boat - may have dropped something - ...needless to say I was nowhere near the actual waters edge. It truly was mind blowing how time changes everything!!

Good luck!

LostNowFound said:
Best to do your research on a park, how old it is, was it used for market days or festivals in the past....??

You would be wasting your time if it was a rubbish dump and back filled in the day now turned into a modern park land! Mostly trash. I found one of those once, had to figure out where the new ground started verses the original "virgin" ground, guess what? Found all the good stuff near the road along the foot paths or near the park benches hint hint... found nothing interesting on the back filled area!

Locals, especially the older generation are you best history channel. Ask them and if they are friendly they can tell you some true history on the area. One guy came up to me once and said, your wasting your time, this used to be a river and was back filled...try down there.. that's where the waters edge started and people hopped on the ferry boat - may have dropped something - ...needless to say I was nowhere near the actual waters edge. It truly was mind blowing how time changes everything!!

Good luck!
That's really interesting and a good read.
Never thought of that.
I guess I could ask my boss, he's born and bred in sale and his old man too.
Having a think about where I could try to start with locally before delving into populated areas, I was thinking of trying along the river where the monthly market is held.
And possibly down by the old swing bridge along the banks.
Hopefully the new detector arrives next week, bit of a stuff around but I think it's been sorted now.
:Y:

Latest posts