Action Thread about HighBanking in NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what has NAPFA done for prospectors ?.. Like literally, go buy a miners right and go digging ... what does NAPFA have to do with that ? .. Sry to be blunt.

Keitzy said:
what has NAPFA done for prospectors ?.. Like literally, go buy a miners right and go digging ... what does NAPFA have to do with that ? .. Sry to be blunt.

Seriously :rolleyes: Mate without them let us know how you get on. If you haven't been involved with NAPFA then I suggest you go and introduce yourself because without them your up the proverbial Creek so to speak. I'm not in NSW and won't be anytime soon but I can assure you NAPFA is your best friend as a volunteer lobby group looking after yours and everyone else's interested with regard to all pursuits of prospecting.

that doesnt answer the question .. what have they done or do for prospectors ? .. I have nothing to do with them, can jump online, buy a miners right and away I go ...

Keitzy said:

Well for a start NAPFA is the NSW body.

Miners rights are not required for NSW , unless you are going into state forests in which case you buy a forestry permit which is 27 bux for 2 years or maybe it was 5 ? Cant recall . Alzheimers is a Bitchh.

Read the napfa website .

yeh i already have ... i see lots of submissions and thats about it ... lol, what exactally have they done apart from lobby the government for these submissions. .. What have they won or had changed for prospectors ? .. Apart from making heaps of submissions, i cant really see much of what they do ??

They've done a hell of a lot!
3 major things for me were:
1. That so called Miners Right you purchased online (I assume the NSW State Forests permit) before lobbying from NAPFA was not available to purchase online & also wasn't statewide i.e. in some circumstances it was expected to buy one for different sub areas. NAPFA got State Forests to change & make their process more streamlined for us!
2. In the last couple of years, after submissions & lobbying from NAPFA, a large number of areas have now been declared fossicking districts which means we no longer have to chase up & get permission off EL holders to fossick there.
3. They also prevented the sale of some crown land near Sofala used for camping/fossicking
They are just 3 that I have appreciated. There are many more by reading through these:
http://www.napfa.net/NAPFA-News.html
NAPFA is only a young association in comparison to other state bodies like the PMAV & APLA but they are making good headway IMO. Too many are either too impatient &/or expect overnight changes or are just plain unrealistic about the processes involved in engaging Government departments etc.

Edit: P.s. I forgot the most important thankless tasks they do! They ensure our hobby has a voice with these Government departments etc. Without them there may not be fossicking in State Forests or elsewhere! They ensure we at least get some input to decisions where we previously had none. They try to improve things for all of us - members or Not!

Sweet, thanks for answering that... I got my miners right for victoria btw, havent been out in NSW as yet.

No worries - NAPFA has no bearing on Victoria but the PMAV are on the job down there (currently fighting to stop the Greens declaring more National Park/State Park & excluding prospecting in them so very busy with your own state woes).

Please keep it civil please people. Fine to express your opinion but personal attacks are not permitted. Thanks to the poster who reported himself. We all get wound up about topics we are passionate about. Nice to see someone cool down and put their hand up.

RULES said:
Posts which are of an offensive nature will be removed without notice.

NOW.... back to the topic at hand....

PS. 2 posts deleted as they added nothing positive to the conversation.

mbasko said:
No worries - NAPFA has no bearing on Victoria but the PMAV are on the job down there (currently fighting to stop the Greens declaring more National Park/State Park & excluding prospecting in them so very busy with your own state woes).

The VEAC committee is presently involved in a report to be completed by March 2019 on some areas in Victoria, from the quantity of submissions there has been phenomenal support from various different interest groups, many areas have been discussed and many people have taken the time to attend meetings. You, as can anyone else be involved in the decision making process. I think the key to a successful outcome is to address the terms of reference and promote low impact prospecting (fill your holes and remove your rubbish) and generally contribute in a ecologically positive way. VEAC is trying to work out the best way to have as close to zero negative effects as is possible. In the present study area there are several species that are in low numbers, but by excluding people the potential for worse bushfires exists which would wipe out endangered species in the area. Lots of information to evaluate before a decision can be made. Previous reports have been mandated in full so it is only with peoples input that the outcome will be positive for prospectors.

Thanks to this forum for having a post re the Wombat state forest which alerted me to the present investigation.
NAPFA also had a submission to VEAC supporting prospecting in the study areas.
Ken.

Is there any update on this issue, as I am starting to think about getting a hand operated bilge pump to run my banker, albeit at lower flow rate

It seems there are still many people high banking in NSW.
I saw on a prospecting Facebook page today, photos of some people using high bankers.
As they are from NSW, it is understood they were operating somewhere in NSW.
They are prolific posters and in this instance they were brazenly bragging about what they were doing in the photos.
I don't know if they are PA members.

1525342233_01.jpg

Below is an excerpt from the conversation that followed, when another poster enquired about the legality of what they were doing.

NOTE: I have deleted the names and faces of those involved.

******* "Isn't it illegal to run highbankers"

******* "Not that im aware off" ?

******* "Illegal ?? Ive never heard that one how about you **** ? I heard its illegal to drive with only one hand on the steering wheel or take a leak on the side of the road but highbanking ? Anyway we had our sluices set low on the creek bed so probably classed as lowbanking in this case. ?

******* "I dont know of any Act of State legislation passed in parliment that prohibits the activity" ?

My heart goes out to all the PA members (and others) who are doing the right thing, not using their high bankers, but still hoping common sense will prevail and there will one day be change in the law. Those flaunting the rules will only make it more difficult to get the laws changed.

Lack of knowledge is no excuse.
The last few lines of your post ring very, very true.
The amount of work that has been put into the situation is staggering I can
tell you.
This sort of thing only makes it worse for all of us on both sides of the fence
while we work on a resolution.
Just hold on for a bit longer folks and play nice.

Unfortunately theyre out there
I have been speaking to my local member MP and I think if we can all speak out and talk to politicians because most of them dont know that laws like this are passed and if they do know they dont know and understand the impact it has so I think more information we can give them the better. And yes its hard not to be able to use a high banker but I have found a Croc nearly as good so there are alternative.
Its a great hobby and a let out for a lot of us

I believe that sweet F.A has been done you tell us all to be patient dont stir the pot. Well honestly i think that you have left what ever that you are doing well and truly to late if you think that the bureaucrats are going to turn around and back flipp on this your wrong you should of done something well before it has come this far so face it it has been outlawed and now i will become an outlaw.....

Latest posts