NSW Highbanking Illegal ..... so what is a Highbanker and Highbanking?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are getting a database together , a national database of information for us as prospectors. this information will help support the groups on the ground in their fight and hopefully soon a national body.

please if you have time fill this out and share it with your friends the more data we ahve the more numbers, the stronger we are as many.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6VXM9F6

G0lddigg@ said:
We are getting a database together , a national database of information for us as prospectors. this information will help support the groups on the ground in their fight and hopefully soon a national body.

please if you have time fill this out and share it with your friends the more data we ahve the more numbers, the stronger we are as many.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6VXM9F6

DONE
casper

Oh remember when I was challenging Qld laws about water pumps ect...and you were all ....dont rock the boat because it didnt effect you...and now you feel the pinch and ya running around like ya knobbs chopped off.......if this gets off the ground you better hope all states follow the same regulations.

Might be worth putting the survey in as a separate topic, it could get lost in here ...

Not sure if it's changeable now, but people could have multiple answers to question 20 :)

Took time out to read through the Final Submission or Report from NAPFA regarding the multiple issues they are fighting for on our behalf and I must say it is a very concise and compelling document in deed. :Y: It is obvious that Napfa has its finger on the pulse of all the relevant issues affecting our rights and liberties with respect to both the ambiguity and downright draconian measures that stand in the way of what is, after all, a lawful pursuit.
A huge credit is warranted for all the Executive who have worked hard on our behalf..along with no doubt help from a few: 'ordinary members", You will no doubt know who you are and your combined efforts are just unbelievably massive and most honourable of you all. :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :eek:
Congratulations on a job well done.Rossco and company. :cool:

shakergt said:
Is it legal in WA
Yep, keep it that way! Shoot on site at the boarder anyone who wants to change laws of what makes any real impact.
They think they are saving the country! A country that was made from gold... and hard honest work

Yobskin,
You have all the makings to form your own Sate Lobby Group.
Go for it and make it happen bloke. :D :D :Y: :Y:
It will not take much to happen. :rainbow: :rainbow:

yobskin said:
Oh remember when I was challenging Qld laws about water pumps ect...and you were all ....dont rock the boat because it didnt effect you...and now you feel the pinch and ya running around like ya knobbs chopped off.......if this gets off the ground you better hope all states follow the same regulations.

When I read the NAPFA submission , I noted the new word the Government people use , and I heard it again today on the radio 2GB and that word is
" ADVISOR" , so the ruling people use advisors to monitor public reaction and to formulate suggested changes, once upon a time they were called "consultants"

perhaps the advisors have been the watching telly series "Klondite Gold" and think thats what a highbanker is , well I suppose they are , but ,hey, they use a 40 ton excavator to load the sluice , we use a shovel lol

Tathradj said:
Yobskin,

yobskin said:

I have suggested a couple of times that a NATIONAL Body with state chapters might have more clout than individual state bodies but no-one seems interested.

We have NAPFA members on here...so let me ask again....if NAPFA wants Australia wide support for the highbanking issue in NSW will NAPFA:

• consider changing its objectives, constitution etc to become NATIONAL Assoc of Prospectors and Fossickers Australia[/*]
  • work with PA forum to call for the creation of State based chapters[/*]

If the answer is 'NO' or 'too hard' or 'not interested ever' then maybe the hobby is destined to stay fractured and self centred...so you will then know with certainty that even if NSW resolves the legal use of highbankers using pumps...dont bother bringing them into QLD. :) :)

MikeB05 said:
Tathradj said:
Yobskin,

yobskin said:

I have suggested a couple of times that a NATIONAL Body with state chapters might have more clout than individual state bodies but no-one seems interested.

We have NAPFA members on here...so let me ask again....if NAPFA wants Australia wide support for the highbanking issue in NSW will NAPFA:

• consider changing its objectives, constitution etc to become NATIONAL Assoc of Prospectors and Fossickers Australia[/*]

If the answer is 'NO' or 'too hard' or 'not interested ever' then maybe the hobby is destined to stay fractured and self centred...so you will then know with certainty that even if NSW resolves the legal use of highbankers using pumps...dont bother bringing them into QLD. :) :)

Mike,

At the end of the day, decisions like that are a matter for NAPFA members to consider, so comments below do not represent any official NAPFA position, so please don't quote it out of context. They are most certainly my personal opinion.

In principle a national body is not a bad idea but the reality is that it is extremely difficult to bring about for a whole range of reasons. It is also debatable how effective it would be when mining regulations are state law and there is no compelling benefit at this stage that I can see to putting in the necessary time and money to create a national body. That's because the issues are state-based.

The various executives of our associations (NAPFA, PMAV, TMAV, PANDIANT, APLA) all have their work cut out now dealing with state issues in sensible priority and remaining functional in the face of a diversified group of constituents who so often as we see on this forum can't agree between themselves.

Many fossickers/prospectors are great examples of rugged individuals who don't wish to conform to group ideas and prefer to go their own way. That's good but it makes group action quite difficult to achieve.

How many members on this forum don't support their hard-working state associations, I wonder, even with paid memberships? It is so easy to sit behind a keyboard and stir the pot or to be an armchair admiral. But it is a lot harder to actually bring about legislative or regulatory change even when you know and understand the issues and have resources behind you.

There is a huge time commitment to do the sort of work you talk about properly and it actually requires a professional, and paid national executive, otherwise you may as well forget it. Just this highbanking issue has sucked weeks out of my life, let alone the other things we have under way - like fossicking districts, national park policy, communication to members, building membership, remaining financially viable etc. Even at the level of NAPFA we have committed fossickers in NSW who are not members or who are unfinancial.

Queensland and South Australia are also unorganised and that situation undermines the concept of a national body. You live in Queensland...why is there not a Queensland association of a sort to work on your state issues?

There would be a benefit in all the associations having a meeting once a year to swap notes, but that takes time and money and it has not shown itself to have the necessary priority, otherwise it would have occurred.

With volunteer committees, time is always the most limited resource. Volunteers can only put in the time they can afford to. The time I spend writing this post is time I don't spend on planning my next trip or being out there. Good strong memberships obviously encourage committees to do more.

So if individuals want to help then they can do so by becoming financial members of their associations and solving the issues they can, first at a state level by being actively engaged and getting on with it. When that is happening, there may be a fertile environment to look at better national coordination.

Just my personal thoughts. :)

Stephen (aka, NAPFA President).

I had the same idea but as Stephen has stated, Very hard to set up and keep running.
I put about 2 months of research into such a thing and even at that stage, Very hard
owing to the complexity involved.
Later on down the track as if to say may be feasible but not at this stage.
Doug

MikeB05 said:
Tathradj said:
Yobskin,

yobskin said:

It's not just that easy Mike. NAPFA, even if they wanted to, couldn't just up & form a national body with state chapters. Other state associations have been around for a lot longer i.e. APLA since 1904 & PMAV since 1980. NAPFA (or any other proposed national body) simply can't just take over or push aside these well known & supported associations. A national association or guild is a good idea but it's not going to happen in the short term. With NSW, Vic, WA, Tas & NT already having individual state bodies with their own identities, agenda, focus, membership base etc. etc. it would be no easy task but doable in the longer term.
Short term you blokes in Queensland need to get something happening on a state level firstly. There has been assistance & advice offered on this forum in the past. Most issues are very state specific due to varying state legislation & that can't be "fixed". Many states have unique situations, like WA pastoral leases as an example, & having national laws or rules wouldn't be ideal because some states might come out in front & others well behind!
Just because NAPFA is asking for support on this issue now should not mean that they should be pressured into fronting a national body. Both APLA & PMAV have also in recent times called for interstate support on their own state specific issues which many of us have provided where possible. I'm a member of NAPFA & PMAV - if I ever get to WA I'll join APLA too.
A starting point for Queensland maybe to contact this NQ association
www.nqma.com.au/ They may be able to offer assistance with setting up or may even be interested in a sub group of new members? I would also be contacting the various prospecting/fossicking/lapidiary etc. clubs around Queensland to get them behind a push to form something.

Edit: above 2 x posts were read after I put this up.

Thank you to Mbasko, Tathradj and Stephen (NAPFA).

The thanks is for taking the time to consider what I said and respond. I am grateful for your responses because they explain the issues and complexities in what looks to be a pretty simple situation...that in fact is no so simple.

As a secretary of a couple of incorporated associations I also understand the real amount of work in establishing any organisation.

Thanks for the tip on the NQMA I will make contact and see where that may lead.

Finally I have sent a membership request to NAPFA as I want to offer support but also I am a caravan traveller (like many others) and I have enjoyed hunting for gold in NSW.

Thanks again guys...much appreciated.
regards
Mike

Latest posts