Looks like a ring but no...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just new to the site...found this 4 years ago around the mighty harietville hills....Gold plated and a orange glass stone I think...I remember it sung like Angel on the machine..thought I'd put it up for analysis...thanks
1501824030_image.jpg

1501824031_image.jpg

1501824032_image.jpg

I first thought cuff link...but it wouldn't sit right and I don't think it is one?

I can't see it working as a cufflink either, but it looks so unbalanced, that it's difficult to imagine where/how it could be worn or used. Maybe a drawer pull or cupboard handle?

Looks like it might have lived on the end of a chain at one stage, thought maybe it was a re-modelled ring though can't see any previous mounting points for the band.

oops don't know what happened to my earlier post . I think it is a seal for sealing letters with hot wax , the stone is possibly an agate and worn on a watch chain thanks Brett

bbrook said:
I think it is a seal for sealing letters with hot wax , the stone is possibly an agate and worn on a watch chain thanks Brett

That was my initial thought also, however i'm yet to see a 'seal' without any 'form' or design/pattern...it's just a smooth face which would only give you a rectangle shape without 'Authority' reference...

The only thing i can consider is it may have 'lost' the original seal and was replaced with what we now see...

Dependent on age, it may have been an expensive piece at one time being Gold plated and all...back in the day even plated 'costume' jewellery was only for the wealthy...

I'm thinking it 'may' have had a back to it where a lock of hair was kept, and perhaps it may be a form of 'mourning' jewellery hung from a chain.

Gypsy

Thanks a million grubstake& goldpick &gypsy and bbrock your a star!! Now certain it's a wax seal but for some reason the stone was never engraved ...sorry to mention it was found on a goldfield site from 1850-1900...So greatfull for your time and effort boys...Wow...never thought I'd solve that....Can only wonder as to why it wasn't engraved but the ones I've found on the web under 1800s wax seals all seem to say something different....found one similar online...
1501909121_image.jpg

I remember very close to where I found it was a hole half full used of "Battersea England " fluxing cups....took a couple of the least chipped home and now i can put the "wax seal" alongside.. Cheers hope I can repay the favour one day.. :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

1501910186_image.jpg
yeah engraved ones go in good nick seem expensive ..i can never part with anything...but the miner must have had some coin!

Seals were more commonly used for 'confidential' communications by the Gov't & business etc, not ordinarily by miners. It may have been an 'Inspectors' or 'Constabulary' seal at one time perhaps.

Check top left hand of the page for your PM... ;)

Gypsy

Latest posts