Which Evo coil??? 15 or 17x13

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhaseTech

Phase Technical
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
A question I am regularly asked is "So which coil is better, 17x13" Evo or 15" Evo?"

My answer is always: they are both good, but with a couple of little differences. If swept slowly, I mean real slow, the 15" round will have a pinch more depth on more solid bits. The 17x13" will be a pinch more sensitive. The 17x13" can be swept a little faster before the signal response starts to fade, and the fact it covers a little more ground makes it the perfect candidate for a good all-round /open ground/ patch hunter coil. The spoked version is also very light for it's size.

But in saying that, I did find two mini patches in the last 12 or so months, and both were with the 15" strapped to the 5000, going over very old spots that were neglected. So known areas, giving them a brush with a new technology combo.

Anyway here's a video where I compared the two on a couple of nuggets:

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/WFFqu95pA9o[/video]

NOTE: Video was originally 15 mins long with a lot of me waffling over strong wind noise, so there's a few sharp cuts in the editing :rolleyes:

Great video Nenad very informative . I am currently running a " new " 4500 / 17 x 13 spoke and very happy but hope you can clarify a couple of queries I have .

Is there any differences at all between the new and old 4500's to the best of your knowledge ? Seems opinions vary .
Is there any difference between Enhance mode on a 5000 and on a 4500 or are they identical ?

Cheers

Ps : this is the time of year is when I start thinking about short trips to the GT , don't know if you have ever considered but I reckon a tag along camp for for a few days mixed with a bit of tuition would get quite a bit of support from SA based members . Just a thought :)

Well done Nenad. It is a bit hard to make an accurate judgement when you are not actually on location and hearing the sound first hand but the coils gave clear signals in both Enhance and Fine Gold. I looked at the clip twice and thought that the best signals came from Fine Gold on the 15". I also thought that the 17x13 was better than the in Enhance than in Fine Gold. The 4500 also performed well. The smaller target seemed to give a fair signal but the 1 grammar was making the machine really buzz. Stupid stuff hey.... This game can really do your head in sometimes.

I would have loved to have seen the 12" Evo thown into the mix. At a guess, the smaller target was at about 5-6 inches and the larger piece at 10-12". If those distances are correct, I would have expected the 12" Evo to sing on both bits. Keep those clips coming. It keeps us armchair prospectors entertained on rainy days.

Cheers

Les

I've got the 15 spoke, great coil, however, for 1 reason, I'd prefer the 17x13, and that's because the 15 round won't fit into my day pack, just a tad too wide.

Bacchus said:
Ps : this is the time of year is when I start thinking about short trips to the GT , don't know if you have ever considered but I reckon a tag along camp for for a few days mixed with a bit of tuition would get quite a bit of support from SA based members . Just a thought :)

Great idea, when?
Cheers,
Paul

Bacchus said:
Great video Nenad very informative . I am currently running a " new " 4500 / 17 x 13 spoke and very happy but hope you can clarify a couple of queries I have .

Is there any differences at all between the new and old 4500's to the best of your knowledge ? Seems opinions vary .
Is there any difference between Enhance mode on a 5000 and on a 4500 or are they identical ?

Cheers

Can't recall the exact details but a Gold Gem and Treasure article a few months back had an article written by Woody that stated there were a couple of components that were different in the old 4500 compared to the newer ones. He only found this out because of a newer detector he modded wasn't getting the same depth as older 4500's. He stated that he rubbed off the white paint covering the resistors (or whatever they're called) and found different strength ones were used in the old verse new detectors. From memory, i think he said the lower rated components made for a quieter detector than the older models. Can't say I know much about electronics so just relaying what i remember the article said.

Friends, I'm currently working with the GPX 5000 with a Nugget Finder 17 "X 11" Advantage, and then I go over the area where I found gold with a 16 "ADvantage. I want to migrate to Evolution but I can only get a reel and I'm in doubt between the Evolution of 15 "and the Evolution 17" x13 ". Which of the two do you recommend to me to prospect new areas, be my coil of work and to get nuggets from 0.1 grams? Work in sawed areas with many stones in the soil and low vegetation and soil usually with high mineralization. Thank you! Looking forward to an answer soon to acquire my evolution :) !!!