River Sluice in Tasmania

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got a quick question I have read the mining regulations for Tasmania but uncertain. To me it reads like even a river sluice is banned but is that only in conjunction with a mechanical pump. It has no mention of a cradle is that ok? has anyone had experience in using these items in Tasmania.

Cheers guys

River sluice is ok but yes no mechanical pump. Cradle is okay to use. At Doctor Rocks a week ago the inspector was out checking licenses and had no problem with the equipment people were using on the day.
Also if you want absolute clarity, email the MRT and the inspector will get back to you.

Cheers Tassie,

Do you need a license for the designated fossicking areas?

Sounds typical of what happens when the Greens are allowed to run rampant. I'm sure they would like to put in a regulation that orders all prospectors to have their hands tied behind their backs as well. :eek:

Drewe.

they do it with every thing but they still drive cars live in houses they should practice what they preach they should live in caves with no power so they cant sook on the internet and make people ;) miserable

Your not alone, we always used to be able to sluice in Tasmania. Its a new thing.

We now have the most confusing and restricted "anal" prospecting licence in the country, and most expensive! From a state that from day dot. would be dead in the water without mining. You don't thankfully need a prospecting licence to fossick in any of the designated areas, Penguin, waymouth, magnet, lord brassy, weld river, killiekrankie etc.
Sluices of all descriptions are banned. River, box, ground, high banker etc. But, as Jack stated they have allowed a high banker at doctors rocks recently and Ralph Bottrill even suggests the wording is hard to understand. I agree.

Starry has a petition going and i am pursuing our loss of heritage, and artisanal Mining avenues. Both fall under the United Nations. And seeing as 1/3 of the state belongs to the UN under the WHA. We lost that too. I dare say i can for our direct lose of Mining cultural and historical prospecting rights

Latest posts