My New 4x4 Compressor.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just replace my 4X4 compressor, The big one I had someone stole when the broke in to my lock up last year and I am still adding up the cost even now,

Anyway I bought this "Not" so little beast and it is Idea for my Truck tyres, I just ran it off of a stuff Car battery and it took 3 and a half minutes to fill my truck tyre form 0 to 40.5 psi, and with the truck started with a good battery it can do it in about 2 minutes, Seriously this thing is fast, It is that fast even with the stuffed battery I could see the Truck going up back towards it's normal ride Height, I would recommend one of these to any one going out in the bush or up the beach, I still have one of those TruckAir 275psi compressors that came out in the mid 90's early 2000's and it works a treat but having a Cigar lighter plug on it they tend to blow the Sockets Fuse, It blew them on both of my pajero's, and I replaced them but they have another fuse hidden away some place that I never did find so the sockets remained out of action, This new compressor has a good set of Crocodile clips on it so no more blown fuses,

Any way this it the little beast and it is worth getting and a lot cheaper than the ARB compressors, No doubt they have a different brand name in Oz but they are worth getting just the same.

hope this helps.

John.

https://www.britpart.com/parts/wheels/tyre-monitoring-and-repair/air-compressors/da2392/

1501169617_dp_compressor.jpg

yeah that looks like a good one.
I was lucky enough to get an ARB compressor free when I put new BF Goodrich KO2 tyres on my Hilux, otherwise, i still wouldnt have a decent compressor. I was up for new tyres anyway, and replaced the old BF Goodrich KO,s with the KO2,s. Thicker side walls. Not a real aggressive tread, but they are pretty tough.

davent said:
yeah that looks like a good one.
I was lucky enough to get an ARB compressor free when I put new BF Goodrich KO2 tyres on my Hilux, otherwise, i still wouldnt have a decent compressor. I was up for new tyres anyway, and replaced the old BF Goodrich KO,s with the KO2,s. Thicker side walls. Not a real aggressive tread, but they are pretty tough.

That was a great deal Dave, over here the ARB compressor is about $373.90c. and you ended up with about the best tyres on the market, WTG.

When I get the cam belt changed tyres are my next purchase, and then I need to get the roof rack sorted ready to fit the tent, Oh and I got to fit my winch as well.

These detectors seem pretty cheap when you compare them with what you spend on ya truck so you can get there.

John.

A good compressor is a must if any one intends to go off road in their 4x4 also good for the air mattress :D
Well done John
My prado came with an ARB compressor and a ARB fitted diff locker, worth about $3,000 according to ARB
They have come in handy a few times so pleased I had them.. :Y:

Rockhunter62 said:
Hey John,

Looks like your compressorcame out of the same factory as the Thumper Max Dual Air Compressor from the 4wd supacentre. :) There's cost $130.

Cheers

Doug

Yeah Doug there is one the same over here that goes by the name "T-Max Duel Air Compressor" as well, so maybe they just altered the name to suit and you are spot on about the price because I paid $121.00 for it, and $9.80 for postage, so I reckon I got a good deal,

I am impressed with it's speed, I think if I hooked it up to the trucks battery with the motor running it would fill a truck tyre in under 2 minutes, My TruckAir 275 one takes about 11 minutes and is real noisy, It was fast back when these things first came out it would do car tyres in about 5 minutes from dead flat, But these newer ones air almost or just as fast a small home workshop compressor @ 150 L per minute or 5cfm.

nucopia said:
A good compressor is a must if any one intends to go off road in their 4x4 also good for the air mattress :D
Well done John
My prado came with an ARB compressor and a ARB fitted diff locker, worth about $3,000 according to ARB
They have come in handy a few times so pleased I had them.. :Y:

Yeah Mate, I can't wait to get the Lockers fitted, On my warrior they don't come with the Centre Diff Lock like the Pajero's did which I did not notice at the time, I was thinking of an ARB in the rear and maybe a Detroit Locker in the front, but I am not sure yet because I like the Idea of being able to switch off the ARB's via the Compressor, A mate up at Gympie had ARBs in his Hi-Lux and it was unstoppable,

John.

I have one of the Thumper max air compressors andit is very fast with inflating tyres and it doesn't get as hot as an smaller one.

MartinM said:
I have one of the Thumper max air compressors andit is very fast with inflating tyres and it doesn't get as hot as an smaller one.

Yeah the heat was one of the first things I checked out, the ones that came out years ago would blister ya fingers, even the air hose would get hot on the fittings, Once learnt never forgotten, Lol.

John.

MartinM said:

is this the one you are talking about mate i have been looking for one the one i had just didnt cut it (ripped off again :mad: :mad: :mad: )
Air Compressor 300L/min Thumper Max Dual 12v 4x4 camping 125psi 300L inflator

7.62marksman said:
MartinM said:

is this the one you are talking about mate i have been looking for one the one i had just didnt cut it (ripped off again :mad: :mad: :mad: )

Struth 300L per minute is equal to 10.59cfm I would think that is a but much, and must be running at twice the speed my one is,

Back a few years ago they would change the pulleys on an 8cfm compressor speeding up the pump and calling them a 10 cfm and 12 cfm compressors to 14.7 etc and they did burn out quicker, yes they could put out the Air but they ran hotter causing more condensation in the Air Lines, so that is another thing to be wary of.

John.

thanks mate i got ripped off with my last one it cost about $140 and would not blow up a pushbike i was a bit :mad: so i tossed it a few months ago and have been trying to find one that will work there is a lot out there to choose from
also i have a two man heavy duty boat/ribb with a electric motor that has to be blown up as well so it will be used for a few different things

7.62marksman said:
thanks mate i got ripped off with my last one it cost about $140 and would not blow up a pushbike i was a bit :mad: so i tossed it a few months ago and have been trying to find one that will work there is a lot out there to choose from
also i have a two man heavy duty boat/ribb with a electric motor that has to be blown up as well so it will be used for a few different things

Sorry to hear that mate, Not Good.

This one is powerful enough to blow junk across the floor and I can actually watch it lift the truck up when my right rear was flat as a you know what, within one minute or so +/- it had over 20 psi in it, to be honest this is the best bang for the Buck in terms of performance,, My Brother bought the single cylinder version and he says his will take his VW people carrier tyres from 26 to 32psi in under 30 seconds which is not to bad,

A good sign with these things that they are rubbish is when they quote High Flow rates IE 300l that is a sure sign they have speeded them up and another thing is like my old TruckAir 275, If they are putting out that kind of pressure (275psi) then they have been sped up like crazy because my TA 275 hardly makes a draft, yet this new one is almost on par with a small workshop compressor to the point you could even run a Touch up spray gun with it at a pinch.

If I had more hair it might even blow in the wind, :lol: :lol: :lol:

John.

Thanks RR i will take all that on board and do some more looking around
there is a
TruckAir 275 for $111.20 plus $17.95 postage on ebay Australia at the moment
PRE-LOVED ITEM
SUITS MOST 4X4S AND LIGHT
TRUCKS
MADE IN THE USA
IN VERY GOOD CONDITION
SOLD AS PICTURED
PICK UP WELCOME
HAPPY TO COMBINE POSTAGE

7.62marksman said:
Thanks RR i will take all that on board and do some more looking around
there is a
TruckAir 275 for $111.20 plus $17.95 postage on ebay Australia at the moment
PRE-LOVED ITEM
SUITS MOST 4X4S AND LIGHT
TRUCKS
MADE IN THE USA
IN VERY GOOD CONDITION
SOLD AS PICTURED
PICK UP WELCOME
HAPPY TO COMBINE POSTAGE

Yeah I got one of the USA made ones here, it's hardly been used and still in its box with the sales receipt, the later ones were made in China, which are the Truckair 300,

I paid somewhere near the $130/$140 mark for it but they are not as fast as my New Twin cylinder one, My older Truckair 275 still works fine but the one in the box has not been used more than a dozen times if that, If I like something I always buy a spare,

If you get stuck let me know.

J.

7.62marksman said:
MartinM said:

It hasn't let me down yet and works really well, it is the one from 4wd supacentre.

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/sp...-11261653&mc_cid=900d8f2a8c&mc_eid=25db97a7aa

The Aldi compressor is a pretty good piece of gear ($98)... Had mine for 4yrs now and never missed a beat. Inflates 4x BGF KO2's from 20psi to 40psi no worries , then I help do my mates tyres when he is still on his 2nd one. :rolleyes: I have made a few 'Mods' to mine like upgrade the cable and get rid of 'those' Jumper clips and replaced with Anderson Plugs, Replaced Air-hose with a rubber type and a different tyre chuck... :Y:
Now they have a twin head version that is just as good...And... They are Exactly the same(same factory and same parts) as the Thumper Max and the Thumper Max Duel, only less money...
These should be on Sale in about 2-4 weeks time when the other 4x4 stuff is also available... ;)

Another option is adapt an Air-con compressor to an Air Compressor and run an air-tank...

LW...

Marksman that dual thumper has a really good reputation, I have the single cyl thumper and it's great.
The dual is on my long long list of to buy items.