Is prospecting legal at Goodmans Creek and Nuggety Gully, Vic?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This weekend, I was going to look for some fossils down at the junction between Nuggety gully and Goodmans Creek. Is it legal to prospect at these sites?

I guess you have already made the decision but if you're still around....

The area you mention is just west of the Bacchus Marsh to Gisborne Road about 11km north of Bacchus Marsh and is in the Lerderderg State Park. In general it is prohibited to prospect in State and National Parks (NB There are many exceptions to this rule - talk to Parks Victoria) however the Vic government recently opened up some of the Lerderderg SP to prospecting but I understand most of the new land does not hold gold.

Parks Vic have published a map - Google

VEAC Prospecting%20_Maps_B-G.pdf

it doesn't show the area you describe instead it talks about "Recommended prospecting areas" which translates to "The places we don't much care about where we'd like to shove all the nasty people who dig holes in our park".

You could try the Forest Explorer mapping software to see if it has a prospecting layer but I'm almost certain it doesn't. Otherwise give Parks Vic a call and ask them, they should know - phone 13 1963.

Hi S&D.

Thanks for that correction.

Taking another look at the map from Parks Vic I note it is dated 2013 so I assume prospecting has always been allowed in parts of the Lerderderg SP? I don't prospect there - much too close to Melbourne for my liking which equates to too many people around.

I was told in the 1980s when i first got into prospecting that there was NO PROSPECTING of any description allowed in the Lederderg SP.
So i never went there looking.

Did see a Facebook post from a group interested in old mining sites that met up with DEWLP / Parks Rangers recently, they were told there is a number of complaints about
people prospecting in No Go Zones, coming in from bushwalkers etc and they ( Parks ) were patrolling Brisbane Ranges & Lederederg issuing fines for people caught doing illegal prospecting within the No Go Zones.

Went looking for the link to post but can,t find it?

Swinging & digging said:
I was told in the 1980s when i first got into prospecting that there was NO PROSPECTING of any description allowed in the Lederderg SP.
So i never went there looking.

Exactly likewise! I thought the whole park was off limits and it was only today I found the Parks Vic map.

I doubt I'll go there anyway for the reasons I mentioned previously.

The areas are NOT OPEn as there was NO APPROVAL by parliament, a change of government to Daniel Andrews ( ALP ) & the greens holding balance of power led to it never
been approved.

I have asked the PMAV to follow up and report back on this matter, though i doubt prospectors will ever get access to the proposed areas?

Good on yer for referring it to PMAV.

And I must correct my previous assertion where I stated the map was published by Parks Victoria, I was rather slack with that as the maps are clearly published by the Victorian Environmental Assessment Council and NOT Parks Victoria. However the VEAC is still a government body and I assume these maps are an indication of what was proposed but, as S&D points out, never happened so they should probably be removed from their website as they will, inevitably, cause confusion for the public - as they have done here.

Latest posts