Blueish rock what is it ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wishfull

Peter Johnson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of rock this is. It's a dark bluey grey an quite heavy.

Cheers
1500801597_2017-07-23_18.40.36.jpg

I don't know if it sets the 4500 off or not, I saw it and hit with my pick to see what it looked like inside. I recon Moneybox is correct. But I haven't yet put a magnet on it, I wouldn't think it's magnetic though. It didn't take much of a hit to break it.

Wishfull said:
So any ideas how I can clean off the outside of it ?
Hi Wishfull, I saw the exact same bluey looking rock around a old copper mine few weeks back maybe its some thing that goes with copper.I have no idear how to clean it.

Hi Wishfull, I would say with-out touching and feeling, Manganese or if Really Heavy, a Silver/Lead/Zinc type of Ore.....try a good soak in water with some washing powder/detergent for a few days. Then use a scrubbing brush.... DO NOT use Oxalic acid... This will send Most metallic things Black. :( .. And very hard to 'Reverse', so to speak... Not too sure about 'other' acids as I don't use them.... Sometimes a week or two of soaking in water, removes a lot of stuff of the rock.... You could try a drop of Hydrochloric on it and see what reaction you get... or if you want the metallic look, chip away the crap and you will be left with a nice Specimen of 'Something'. ;) ..

LW...

The only time you should be using acid to clean rocks is when you know what it is and what you want to clean away.
I use oxalic acid to remove iron staining from quartz crystals, but as lonewolf said not good on metallic minerals. Give them a good soak, then warm soapy water and a good stiff brush should get it looking ok.

Let it Soak for a few days and you will remove All the 'Dirt'. It takes a while to soak in :Y: Avoid Acid at all costs.... Unless you have a Gold Nugget you need to Clean :lol:
Some of that Amethyst I gave you, took weeks with a scrubbing brush and electric toothbrush to remove the in deep crud/clay... Then a few soaks in Oxalic Acid to remove the Coating on them...

LW...

Gotta turn them on to work... ]:D ]:D Copper is same colour as your electric cables.. or, Weathered or Tarnished Copper is Green/Blue.. My Best way to describe it anyhow :/ .... Going by the 'Clues' we have. 8) ...I think you have a Manganese Type ore, very simular to Moneybox's pic... Have a google of Manganese Ores... I think you may find your answer... :Y: Or

What general area did it come from? What was mined in the area, and what Other Minerals were associated with the principle Ore from the Mine? All these Help with Id..... And how heavy is Heavy. Comparing Manganese with say Lead, There is a Big difference in weight for the same size specimen .... or worst case, send me a bit... I have a Few bits of Manganese/Silver/Lead/Zinc/Tin/Bismith type Minerals here and I can compare them for you... ]:D :Y:

Beat me to it I see... :rolleyes: :lol:

Are the 'White/Cream and some Blue/Black areas look like Crystals ?
LW...

Latest posts