Would it work ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bouncing around a few ideas. If you had a highbanker sluice box with plain bar riffles 1cm high with the box set at a dead horizontal level and introduce a shutting movement back and forward every few seconds with half normal water flow. Would it work ???

thinking the same thing, why not make a rocker box. Just a thought "dead horizontal" means NO water flow unless you are relying on the shunting movement!! still water needs to flow........

the riffles will just catch crap between them. The shaking will just 'swoosh' whatever rock and crap has caught between the riffles back an fro till they fill up and are usless.

Ok, thanks for the input. Perhaps it could only be useful for classifying material. Very interested in how gold interacts with mechanical movements vs water using high and low pressure zones.

just get a dream mat dude .... Or if moneys a prob, yell out, heaps of members would have some expanded you could have. Im in Ballarat, i have some spare your welcome to.

Make the motion side to side rather than lengthwise and u might end up with something that could work well if done right. Might work on gems and nuggets, not sure about fines. The feed rate would probably still be slow compared to a standard highbanker though.
Mind you lm no expert on this stuff. Plenty of others here that have done a lot more with this sort of thing, but never really know until you try.

what about a revolving riffle sluice, angles of riffles rise and fall at different times like the movement of a catterpiller..

20xwater said:
what about a revolving riffle sluice, angles of riffles rise and fall at different times like the movement of a catterpiller..
Cool idea. Would kind of work like a reverse helix trommel but with out the cylinder. Maybe have hopper half way down. Gold climbs up falls into holding tank as it briefly submerges itself at top end water and everything else goes down and falls of bottom end :Y: :Y: :Y:

20xwater said:
I remember on goldrush dakota fred bought a machine that worked like that, it was the primary classifier though, not a recovery tool.

ballarat_gold said:
just get a dream mat dude .... Or if moneys a prob, yell out, heaps of members would have some expanded you could have. Im in Ballarat, i have some spare your welcome to.
Thanks for the kind offer. I am interstate at the moment.

Another question. Would a riffle that is submerged 10cm underwater need to be different to a riffle that's only 5mm underwater at the same water speed to be effective ? Probably hard to answer but think there is a good chance someone on this forum will be able to.

Goldfreak said:
20xwater said:
Cool idea. Would kind of work like a reverse helix trommel but with out the cylinder. Maybe have hopper half way down. Gold climbs up falls into holding tank as it briefly submerges itself at top end water and everything else goes down and falls of bottom end :Y: :Y: :Y:
Sorry did you mean like this or a conveyor ?
1500462160_image.jpg

Goldfreak said:
Goldfreak said:
20xwater said:
Sorry did you mean like this or a conveyor ?https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10082/1500462160_image.jpg

awesome your in my head..

very close but so riffle angles increase and decrease/wave.

crank or cam system with lifters like the pic you have shown. 36 riffles, each riffle set starting at riffle number 1 top dead centre @ 0 degrees, riffle 2 @ 10 degrees down to riffle 36 @ 350 degrees.

using a crank will create continueous motion. cam system and lifters to adjust height/timing/speed/duration of each riffle motion..

Occasional_panner said:
20xwater said:
I remember on goldrush dakota fred bought a machine that worked like that, it was the primary classifier though, not a recovery tool.

yeah that's what I had in mine...how bout combining that system in to a sluice like some type of mechanical fluid bed and see what happens..

20xwater said:
Occasional_panner said:
20xwater said:

yeah that's what I had in mine...how bout combining that system in to a sluice like some type of mechanical fluid bed and see what happens..

Very complicated mate.
Dream matt works well for me ATM, pretty much setup and run.

Occasional_panner said:
20xwater said:
Occasional_panner said:
20xwater said:

Very complicated mate.
Dream matt works well for me ATM, pretty much setup and run.

my interpretation of this post is to exercise engineering, I personally find ready to run systems a bit boring, no discrespect to the dream mat coz I think its awesome..

At the end of the day really all we are concerned about is recovery percentages.
If dream matt gives us 95-99% then that's bloody good in my book, but by all means, work on the "perfect" recovery method.
And really we are not doing it for a business so the % don't really mean crap, we just want a result that is decent and gets some yella in the jar.

Occasional_panner said:
At the end of the day really all we are concerned about is recovery percentages.
If dream matt gives us 95-99% then that's bloody good in my book, but by all means, work on the "perfect" recovery method.
And really we are not doing it for a business so the % don't really mean crap, we just want a result that is decent and gets some yella in the jar.

who is 'we' mate?

Latest posts