adjusting settings

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does it matter if i turn on my new 4500 on inside with coil connected and play around with settings or does it damage it? i think the manual says not to

Honestly, if the manual says not to do something it would be for a good reason so I wouldn't do it.

However, I don't recall the manual saying not to. It will squeal like a stuck pig though, so put it in cancel.

Though there's no harm in fiddling with the settings, until you're familiar with it, I'd be inclined to leave it in factory settings.

Factory settlings will find gold!

its best to only turn the detector on when outdoors and away from sources of electromagnetic etc

We have a 3.5m steel awning outside the back colorbond wall. Mrs M dropped a nugget into the synthetic grass under the awning and I could easily detect through the grass up to about 500mm from the colorbond wall. I used the GPX4500 with the 11" DD in cancel and it ran smoothly but the grass is 20mm deep and is held down with steel nails so I never found the nugget :(

1500212965_grass.jpg

The only problem running inside is the steel reinforcing in the concrete floor.

just a tip do not change coils at any time with the machine turned on just for safety disconnect it from the battery ,there is a part that can be damaged if you do this and it means the detector has to go back to SA TO BE REPAIRED REGARDS JOHN :)

Moneybox said:
We have a 3.5m steel awning outside the back colorbond wall. Mrs M dropped a nugget into the synthetic grass under the awning and I could easily detect through the grass up to about 500mm from the colorbond wall. I used the GPX4500 with the 11" DD in cancel and it ran smoothly but the grass is 20mm deep and is held down with steel nails so I never found the nugget :(

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3960/1500212965_grass.jpg

The only problem running inside is the steel reinforcing in the concrete floor.
Here's a new trick for a young fella MB ,... Empty the vacuum cleaner, then vacuum the little nuggie up and go through the bags contents in an appropriate spot with no interference.
:D

Years ago, mate had a great signal out of Laverton WA, dug it out turned out to be a big ironstone rock about 30cm in Diameter, put his coil over the rock, a big blast in his earphones and then silent. His detector was Kaput. Phone ML and they said send it back to Adelaide, most likely the front end amp has been overloaded and is the problem ( from memory). 2 weeks later we had the detector back, went back to the rock, broke it down to small pieces and it was all ironstone.( Did not crush it to powder and pan it)

The detector was either a ML 3000 or an early 4500.

I would be wary of turning a gold machine on near big metal objects

Peter

My (6yo) 4500 has been indestructible. It's only been used by a Neanderthal (me) and it still meets the new ones in performance (have checked against two). With a replaced knee, I used to use it as an aid to get off my knees if my pick was not close. I've changed handles (now wooden - but only for something different), and swapped in many different coils and it's like an Everyready battery - it just keeps on going and going. Nothing ever broken (same battery after all this time). Sweet machine that one. :Y:

Occasional_panner said:
tuner said:
Occasional_panner said:
So did you get an sdc for the wife too?
What part of Vic are you in mate?
its on order im in the geelong area
Well you are on the right side of town, you could go to the July meet at laanecoorie this weekend. You'll pick up heaps from that.
would be nice but i have to work this weekend

BigWave said:
My (6yo) 4500 has been indestructible. It's only been used by a Neanderthal (me) and it still meets the new ones in performance (have checked against two). With a replaced knee, I used to use it as an aid to get off my knees if my pick was not close. I've changed handles (now wooden - but only for something different), and swapped in many different coils and it's like an Everyready battery - it just keeps on going and going. Nothing ever broken (same battery after all this time). Sweet machine that one. :Y:

Ahh if only they made women like that :|

tuner said:
Occasional_panner said:
tuner said:
Occasional_panner said:
So did you get an sdc for the wife too?
What part of Vic are you in mate?
its on order im in the geelong area
Well you are on the right side of town, you could go to the July meet at laanecoorie this weekend. You'll pick up heaps from that.
would be nice but i have to work this weekend
There are lots of very helpful fellas around mate, just sing out when you need it and someone will pop up, don't ask me though I don't have a clue yet.

Latest posts