SDC Li-ion battery kit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just received a Li-ion upgrade for the SDC complete with a nifty USB charger. Recommended to me by a user I know. Go to SDC2300Upgrades.com for info.

RM go to the website, info is there, cost at first seems a wee high but it is a quality kit with a top charger. For the record I have no affiliation with the supplier, just a happy purchaser. I guess tis a case of you get what you pay for.

RM Outback said:
What's the cost I like the sound of the usb charger

You can get the USB charger they supply in kit for $20 so could put a conversion kit together for under $80 with good quality batteries. :Y: Batteries as low as $20 for a pair but would question their integrity to deliver specs claimed so would be better spending $40 to $50 for a good quality brand ;)

The adaptor tubes to suit the SDC are the snag going that way Bogger, unless you know where they can be obtained cheaply, myself I couldn`t find a supplier for them. You can buy them from the site I gave but that brings the price up to the total kit price. Then you have postage from a number of suppliers, but be a interesting project if you can show the source suppliers web sites for all and save 4m members a buck or two.

Before you order might be worthwhile going with the 4 rather than 2 cell charger not a lot dearer be more handy. You`ll know if it`s a genuine charger as the Xtars have a Anticounterfeit "dover" similar to MLs. Dimensions of cells can be obtained online, be interesting to follow your progress on this.

What they claim their batteries can do is a bit ambitious, "More Power To The Coil Improves Sensitivity", well that would not be quite true to start with. Also I've never needed to change my batteries in a day of detecting, maybe others have but they always seem to last me a full day.

Just sayin.....

I'd sooner go with a set of Accupower from Nenad.

Heatho said:
What they claim their batteries can do is a bit ambitious, "More Power To The Coil Improves Sensitivity", well that would not be quite true to start with. Also I've never needed to change my batteries in a day of detecting, maybe others have but they always seem to last me a full day.

Just sayin.....

I'd sooner go with a set of Accupower from Nenad.

Yes also question their claims in their blurb and have gone the same way battery wise along with a top of the range charger from Nenad and never drained a set of batteries in a days use.
Norvic run a vernier over your cells ?

The higher voltage concerned me a bit at first (Li-ion 7.4v, alkaline 6v or Ni-Mh 4.8v), but the very experienced user I mentioned has had no troubles there and perhaps that higher voltage is why he also believed it has proved more sensitive. Depending on whether the SDC has internal voltage regulation or if not the higher voltage and its stability throughout discharge can increase sensitivity as we know it did on some of the earlier ML PIs.
Regardless being Li-ion batteries stoked my interest and thus my purchase. No doubt time will prove or disprove any claims but like you Heatho and Bogger I have had no problems with Nenads Accupowers running the SDC all day.

1500164683_20170716_102015small.jpg

I also use Nenad's Accupower batteries, he has excellent customer service and high quality products.

Out of curiosity I measured my 18650 and 26650 Li-Ion battery out of my dive torches to see the difference as I had them laying around.

The clue to the dimensions of Li-Ion batteries is in the name of the battery, eg 26650 is 26.65mm and 18650 is 18.65 and both are around 65mm long. Batteries from different manufacturers vary slightly in length and width.

Nenad's Accupower C Cells measure 25.3mm x 50.3, tip to tip. 1.2V
the Efest 18650 battery is 18.37x 65.27 and has a sleeve adaptor to make it 26650. 3.7V
the Xtar 26650 is 26.65x67.85 and is TOO BIG to fit in my SDC2300. 3.6V

For my Li-Ion charger I use the Efest Luc V4 Charger, can recommend it.

I suppose if you wanted to you could buy these sleeves off ebay for $1 and then adapt them. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Pieces...171892&hash=item238253ab52:g:U5kAAOSw~CFY8HpX

Or you could put on enough heat shrink wrap to expand the battery an 18650 battery to 25.3 mm

Or if you had a 3D Printer you could print your own battery adaptors using this guys instructions: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1289023/

Or you could do what I'm going to do and just continue using Nenad's Accupower cells until Minelab release and official Li-Ion battery upgrade kit.

There you are Bogger Drons got the go, for both Li-ion measurement and the 3d Printer file for adaptor. Beats accidently letting the smoke out of the battery explosively should you use uninsulated verniers.
Many thanks for that Dron, as I have a 3D printer gotta ask myself why didn`t I check out thingiverse. Bloody Senior moments..............

Plastic flexible conduit is the right diameter for 18650 batteries to fit internally and is the same external diameter of C batteries. I made adapters up using the conduit with a small plastic insert with a copper insert to make electrical contact. I got a charger plus four 18650 batteries for about $25.

Norvic said:
The higher voltage concerned me a bit at first (Li-ion 7.4v, alkaline 6v or Ni-Mh 4.8v), but the very experienced user I mentioned has had no troubles there and perhaps that higher voltage is why he also believed it has proved more sensitive. Depending on whether the SDC has internal voltage regulation or if not the higher voltage and its stability throughout discharge can increase sensitivity as we know it did on some of the earlier ML PIs.
Regardless being Li-ion batteries stoked my interest and thus my purchase. No doubt time will prove or disprove any claims but like you Heatho and Bogger I have had no problems with Nenads Accupowers running the SDC all day.
The SDC, like all modern Minelabs, is internally regulated. The increase in voltage would be negligible to sensitivity. The real (& only) advantage would be increased run time IMO. Those getting better sensitivity are likely getting a placebo effect.

If anyone experimenting with the SDC wants some more batteries I have 4 x Panasonic NCR 18650 B 3400mAh Lithium Li-Ion Protected Rechargeable Button Top Batteries that are too long for my battery holder. They cost me $45 so PM me for a deal - if you cover postage you can have them :Y:
Diameter (mm): 18.6 mm (+/- 0.03), Length (mm): 68.9 mm (+/- 0.03)

mbasko said:
Norvic said:
The SDC, like all modern Minelabs, is internally regulated. The increase in voltage would be negligible to sensitivity. The real (& only) advantage would be increased run time IMO. Those getting better sensitivity are likely getting a placebo effect.

The internal voltage regulation helps to remove the concern I had re. higher voltage from the Li-ions, thank you for confirming what I`d suspected Mbasko. I also note your reference such may be due to placebo effect, which may well be so, although I doubt very much.
Taking into consideration the lower internal resistance of Li-ion and the excellant voltage stability throughout the discharge cycle of Li-ions, might have a bit to do with why the Li-ion kit to the SDC gives it added sensitivity, for me I`ll tackle this positively, what may in time prove to be a very worthwhile upgrade to the SDC.

I started this post to positively inform of this option, not by any means to knock Nenads battery replacement which I`ve used basically since day ono of having the SDC. Whether Lithium batteries of whatever flavour are the go for the SDC is something time will answer, they certainly are for the great majority of battery powered appliances we use these days including our modern detectors.

May be worth a mention that this may also void SDC warranty as you are infact changing the power supply of the machine ? Maybe not the case but just saying is all :rolleyes:

Norvic said:
Whether Lithium batteries of whatever flavour are the go for the SDC is something time will answer, they certainly are for the great majority of battery powered appliances we use these days including our modern detectors.

The other important thing to bear in mind with lithium batteries, is that if you are planning to take them along when flying, you need to check first with the airline's website for their quite stringent regulations regarding lithium battery output and stowage requirements. If lithium batteries overheat and catch fire (eg. from a short circuit or faulty charger), apparently the resultant blaze cannot be doused by conventional extinguishers. Hence, all airlines are very wary of the danger they could pose in-flight. With regard to detectors specifically, I believe I've read that Whites won't ship their own TDI batteries outside the USA because of postal (airline) restrictions.

Hello All ,
batteries and performance is a fascinating subject, the SDC takes 4 X C cell batteries, the batteries supplied are 1.2 volt with a 5000 milli amp hour rating Am I right to assume that the standard battery installation with 4 batteries in series is 4.8 volts at 5000 milli amp hours, the 18650 battery is approx 3.7 volts x the rated milli amp hours , the red ones are 3000 mah , so 2 batteries will fit the SDC compartment with the adapter , now does the bit on the end of the adapter reduce current flow in other words act like a resistor???
The cost factor, 4 x genuine , 5000 mah approx $60 , jay car 4 X 4500 mah about $48 and the Kogan brand 4 X 4000mah about $40 but recently they had a clearing sale, $15 a set of 4 , from my experience, its the amp hours that drive the electronics , the pressure to push the electrons thru the wires etc, the greater the amp hours, the longer they last. Would that be a correct assumption ???
The issue I have had using the genuine battery is the fit , push a green twig in the compartment to stop them from slopping around, had the problem occur recently when the SDC would start over again when I placed it on the ground to scratch out another nail / lead shot the fir has been covered in other posts and relate to the size of the battery caps and contact with the internal connections in the SDC compartment,
ok having said the above , what is the advantage of using the 18650 battery , and what milli amp hour rating is being used.

You really just need to be carefull how you put the battery cap on, push it on squarely and you won't get the shutdown problem. I was having the shutdown problem too when I first got mine, I then realised that if I put the cap on properly straight down and squarely then the issue would disappear. I haven't had even one shutdown since.

Latest posts