Losing gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty22

Rusty
Reaction score
Hey there people. Im hear with another question again, i just been out for a few days down oallen and had a good dig but to my utter surprise i was losing a shitload of black sand and unfortunately gold with the dream mat i changed angles to end up with choking water speed and choking again got me bugged one thing that I need to is changed to punch plate to stop the flat rock's. Need help ???

I will be going to Oallen next weekend so I can help you out as I have the Dream Mat in my Gold Rat Highbanker.

Unfortunately i won't be down there next week im on kid duty. Im trying to up load a vid and some pics but i don't know how to make them small enough to post.

Hey mate need a little info on your setup you definitely should be losing black sand its not the heaviest mineral so it will migrate through the system as it should.
As for losing gold depending on your losses vs capture rate vs feedrates and throughput bit hard to know what the problem could be with no info.

Firstly do you have 3/4 of an inch of water over the cells at all Times? If not the cells dont clear out efficiently which means they are holding too much material and just like any recovery system if you throw more heavies down a choked system don't expect it to function.

To make sure you have enough water setup your gear get the water over your cells start at around 8.5 to 9.5 degrees.
Shovel some material in and have a look whats going on.... you should see material dancing in the holding cells and your cell walls clear out. If they are mot clearing increase angle and or water. Repeat.

Second to water flow is good classification, dream mat will self classify but not to shale and slate as the surface area is too large and when they go down flat they are down. I use perf plate for this reason.

3rd and something alot of people struggle with is feed rates again watch how long a shovel take to clear and get a good rhythm going.

And yes it dose clog up with rocks. I was looking Dustin's you tube vid and hes mat seems to be boiling over the mat, and by the look of it i don't have the water volume and restriction on the 25mm spray bar's on mine.

Have a look at post 23 here https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22277&p=1
I slide the punch plate down when in an area where only fine gold is found. Now I have a 4500 I can run it over the tailings at the end of the day to check if anything was lost off the end of the plate.
If there is a chance of bigger gold you can slide it up and use the combination of grizzly as well.
Having some expanded mesh before the dream matt probably helps catch any pesky rocks too.
Certainly not saying it's the best system but something to consider.

G0lddigg@ said:
Hey mate need a little info on your setup you definitely should be losing black sand its not the heaviest mineral so it will migrate through the system as it should.
As for losing gold depending on your losses vs capture rate vs feedrates and throughput bit hard to know what the problem could be with no info.

Firstly do you have 3/4 of an inch of water over the cells at all Times? If not the cells dont clear out efficiently which means they are holding too much material and just like any recovery system if you throw more heavies down a choked system don't expect it to function.

To make sure you have enough water setup your gear get the water over your cells start at around 8.5 to 9.5 degrees.
Shovel some material in and have a look whats going on.... you should see material dancing in the holding cells and your cell walls clear out. If they are mot clearing increase angle and or water. Repeat.

Second to water flow is good classification, dream mat will self classify but not to shale and slate as the surface area is too large and when they go down flat they are down. I use perf plate for this reason.

3rd and something alot of people struggle with is feed rates again watch how long a shovel take to clear and get a good rhythm going.

can you pls stop reminding me how much gold I have blown by pumping a cube in 3 hours :lol: :Y:

1500120136_20170713_152236.jpg

Hey oc panner. I had another look at those pictures i do like the idea of the sliding punch plate im definitely going to go with the plate for i have made my bars interchangeable. What size spray bar's do you have? Im having a clean up now and will know by tomorrow on how much I have.

The pipes are 32mm, but the overall flow is determined by pump speed and how many openings you have on your pipes.
If you run side spray bars and a back upwards jet you need to fit taps to adjust the two.
If you cut the slots and gently heat with a blowtorch they open up a bit (got that from goldigga)

Now I have a detector I'll probably use the punch plate more often and check the pile for any bigger ones that got lost, you only need a cheap detector for that as long as you spread it out, an aldi one would be fine for that task.

Thanks mate. I'm going to step up to 32mm i have reversed cuts 20mm apart and opend with a blow torch. I need new hoses as well for i have sprung quite a few leaks. I have a at A.T gold that I ran across to check for nuggets. High banking is very challenging due to so many variables but I do like it.

Ahhh you have an A.T, then just go with punch plate mate, it's hard to find, I got 8mm, but would probably like 10mm better.
If you can't get any I have some 8mm spare, I'll measure it later.

Hey oc panner. I have been looking all over the place for punch plate and the shit is hard to find, you mentioned that you have some and are you willing to let some go?????

Hey, Rusty, I measured the only offcut I have left and it's 255x385mm.
Dunno if that will be much use to you but you are welcome to it.
PM me your address I'll post it if that's any use to you.

Latest posts