Postie bike CT110

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm thinking about buying a 2nd hand Postie bike Honda CT110 to help me get further in to the Vic Golden Triangle bush. Not to keen on scratching up works Jeep, and to save on the walking.
I've never ridden a motor bike but certainly well balanced and experienced on a push bike. They look pretty basic to ride. Don't see a problem in getting my motor bike licence.
Any thoughts on the matter?
Also do you think if I welded up a rack and had it slotted in to a Haman Reece tow bar it would travel ok? The bike only weighs about 85kg.
Anyone got one and done this?
Cheers

1500029369_img_1430.jpg
Mate honestly if you haven't grown up on motor bikes I think you have missed the boat..Poking around slow in the bush is probably harder than riding on the road..You have gear to carry..very easy to loose grip and next min your on your ear..and the bikes sitting on top of you..not a good look..twist your knee tear a tendon and you will have the motor bike limp for up to a couple of years..Walking is good for your fitness..or get a quad..My bikes not for the bush..

Baldy. Thanks for your input. Was originally thinking of a quad but they can't be registered and any motor vehicle needs to be registered on Vic State Forest roads and tracks. So a quad is ruled out. I'm thinking the Postie because it's light, not super powerful and auto clutch, making it as safe and easy to ride over anything else. I won't be tearing around the bush. Just want to put around quietly. Cheers

well i was not going to say anything on this one BUT (always that BUT)
to me it is a good idea to have a small bike (postie) with a carrier on the tow bar
yes it can be done BUT (again) have it done and fitted by the pros
nothing worse then your bike sitting in someones window on their lap
ok yes i had one back in the day (Honda 250 road) for bush riding first thing that was done was the tread changed to off/trail tyre
that stopped a lot of getting bogged and falling over
my view go for it BUT (yes again) be EXTRA careful and know how to ride BEFORE you go bush you will only get one chance

The postie bikes are popular in WA but our terrain is usually much easier to get about on. They are light weight and very quiet.

I've ramp jumped and bush bashed a few posties...Not really a trail bike :rolleyes: :lol:
My YZ 125 is 85 odd kilos my 250 is 100 odd so they're not a light bike for what they are
Have a chat to dam it... you can get recreation rego for nearly anything as long as they're not road ridden ;)
I'd say choose another bike....depends on the trails though...flat, not rocky and not too steep the postie would do the job....maybe anyway
lots of rock rutted terrain hang on tight they're a floppy POS :lol: :Y:
If your were looking at a bike make sure it has a kick start....Nothing worse than pushing a dead electric start out of the bush :mad: :rolleyes: :lol: :p

With no riding experience combined with a postie bike having next to no suspension travel relative to dirt use you will take a fall or two without doubt. Apart from any physical damage to yourself you may need to consider what damage your detector may suffer as a result also ? Don't be fooled into thinking you have to be travelling fast to be injured as have seen a mate tear the AC joint of his collarbone at 5 km an hour and he even had full body armour on ................ just landed the wrong way :N:
Was only 13K (as in dollars not distance) to be air lifted out .................... luckily he had reg and was covered ....................... dollar wise at least :eek:
Ant hill in the grass .................. stick thru the spokes a few examples of what will bring you down.
Good luck whatever you choose :Y: )

The other alternative which I think is the best for many reasons is to buy a bush basher, get a cheap 4x4 for your gold trips..You can set it up for detecting and carrying your camping gear..and it doesn't matter about a few scratches or dents just adds to the character..

Thanks all for the good input. I'm digesting it all. The safety aspect is being well considered. I'm well aware of how easy a bike can slide from under you, at any speed. I'm a cautious and conservative fellow who is highly safety aware and alert, and realize an accident can happen so easily. I am inexperienced, so all is taken seriously. Your input has highlighted the pit falls so am considering them. Thanks again.
Cheers

Dig'n-it said:
Hi all
I'm thinking about buying a 2nd hand Postie bike Honda CT110 to help me get further in to the Vic Golden Triangle bush. Not to keen on scratching up works Jeep, and to save on the walking.

The rangers will take a very dim view of any vehicle, quad, bike or 4x4, however they are registered, if you venture off the main tracks.
You could very well lose you vehicle etc, as well as a hefty fine.

Dig'n-it said:
Any thoughts on the matter?

You'd have a hard time getting around on a postie bike in several of the places I go detecting.

You've got a lot of obstacles and dangerous ground, an old shaft hidden under twigs and leaves would ruin your day pretty quickly.

If you're not an experienced rider then this further increases the risk.

I'd stick to parking and walking.

Would be very handy where I'm at, might look into one myself! Any ideas on price and weight?

Davent
You can get a 2013 NBC 110, newer model with guards, for about $1300 in good nick. Two on eBay at the moment look real good and only 27,000 klm. The older model, traditional looking Postie, are about $1800 on average for good nick and less than $30,000 klm. You currently pay more for the traditional look. But who cares for getting around the bush.
For me in Vic it would cost $1300 for the bike, $550 to get my L's, about $500 or so for road reg, or about $80 for rec reg (but can't ride in builtup areas), $175 for a bike rack to go on the back of the car, and I'm guessing about $800 or so for a Hayman Reese tow bar. To me the bike is the cheap bit. It's all the add ons I'd need that makes funding it harder. Don't know about reg for other states.
Do a search on Postie bike in PA and you'll see lots of good reports of members using them.
There is an AG Agricultural model with a dual range gearbox but I can't find one for sale. By all reports these are awesome at getting up any hill.
Cheers

What about a mountain bike? No added expenses there.
I know it's not powered, but you can get petrol motors for them.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/E-start-...490824&hash=item43df52cf50:g:8FAAAOSwfVpYpkYu
Dunno how legal 80cc would be

Here is a 50cc
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50cc-Mot...613549&hash=item2110b59a78:g:xZgAAOSwvg9XUndO

Perhaps you could fit a governor to make it legal.
I think it has to not exceed 20kmh or so in Vic, but I'm not sure.

Or you could fit an electric motor that would be legal out of the box, but a lot less grunt.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/36V-350W...954059?hash=item3d3ae2e7cb:g:UNwAAOSwuspY~XzK

OP
Yes, I've been looking at electric and petrol motorised mountain bikes too. A decent e-bike can go for many thousands. Petrol ones seem a bit dodgy. So still pondering it. May be I'm best sticking to the Jeep, wide tracks and walking. However, if I ever get to go on an extended gold detecting trip, for months, I'd definitely get a Postie bike. Hopefully one day.