Oberon or Bathurst NSW information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have recently, very recently, caught the fever (as I believe it's called). I have been reading up on the forums, and have come across some real helpful tips!

Even though I'm just beginning, I thought I'd invest in what I deemed to be be semi-decent, so I went out and bought a Gold Monster 1000, and a Mine Lab pro panning kit.

About me: I reside in Sydney, only have a motorcycle license, am a full time student and part time watchmaker , and have a variety of interests.

I'm hoping to get out this weekend or the next to do some wand waving and panning.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good places I could try the new pans and GM1000 near Oberon or Bathurst? I will be heading out tomorrow.

Thank you all ;)

Hi mech

I am heading to Hill End tomorrow. Sat/Sun.
Will probably stay at the pub.

Bob will be in the campground.

If you see a silver Forester, give us a hoy.
Neil

Hi Mech,
If you make it up here to hill end I will show you around and you might even find a bit of gold . i also have found a decent panning spot up here.

Im staying in the village camp ground in the camper trailer on the corner as you head to the toilet block.

Cheers

bob

Thank you everyone for the welcomes :)

Nucopia: thank you for the recommendation, I will keep that in mind.

Jaros: thank you!

Neil: Thanks for the info! I see Bob has posted as well. I will let you know if I can get round there.

Balmain Bob: Thank you for the offer Bob! I will let you know what my plans are. My sister is willing to drive me up with mum (she has a car) so I will let you know what she decides! If I can't make it to Hill End this weekend, I'll see if I can ride up next weekend.

Regards,
Mech

All good Mech
Lets hope things pan out for you ..
If you can get another 8 post up, you will gain access to the members section where you can see members meet up posts.
You can also send and receive PM's. :Y:

Thanks Nucopia :) I will try and chip in where possible to up my post numbers. I'll definitely post anything I find!

Also, a small update: I will most likely be hanging around Oberon as sister does not want to go to Hill End tomorrow. However, she is keen to take a day or two for Hill End in the coming weeks. I will keep you all posted.

I think I will try my luck at Porters Retreat, near the reserve, and possibly out Sewells Creek road or Dog rocks. Any tips would be great!

Mech

Hi all, reporting back from a day in Oberon.

After spending an hour in sapphire bend with no finds, we got bogged in the mud on the way out. Luckily a lovely family gave us a hand getting out.

We then made our way to porters retreat. I had a good swing of the GM1000 for a while, and found nothing but beer cans and a bullet. I got some nice specs from panning a little, so that was exciting. I took some gravel with me from the creek to practice more at home.

Overall a fun day out, and would like to return to porters retreat. I do feel like better machines have already cleaned it out though.

I hope to get out to Hill End next time :)

Cheers

mate no such thing as a better machine (just my opinion)
the old saying "a poor tradesman blames his tools" in this game there is never a poor tradesman ;) ;) ;)
you just never walked over where the gold was 1m left or right could be the difference
never give up just take smaller steps and swing slower :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

7.62marksman said:
mate no such thing as a better machine (just my opinion)
the old saying "a poor tradesman blames his tools" in this game there is never a poor tradesman ;) ;) ;)
you just never walked over where the gold was 1m left or right could be the difference
never give up just take smaller steps and swing slower :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

Plenty of z owners would disagree with that, if I had 10k floating around I'd get one too.

Welcome Mech, hope you have fun, that GM1000 looks like a great detector for it's intended purpose. Don't stress about an area being flooged out. I found a .26 in a seemingly flooged area that plenty of 2300's and gpz's have been over. I'm new to detecting myself.

7.62 Marksman: Many thanks for your encouragement! I'll keep at it. It was very slight disappointment, but just being out in the bush away from the busy life was really nice :) I will try a slower paced walk and swing next time.

Nucopia: definitely did! Always love being away from Sydney and in the bush somewhere :)

Occasional_panner: that's really cool to hear, I guess I'll just keep swinging and having fun with it. It's so addictive, and now I want to make more time for it. Looking forward to it!

Latest posts