what do i need

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, what else do i need once i have my detector? things like a pick spare battery and such, any ideas let me know thanks :)

yeah and a belt for the pick maybe and some non metal work boots dam it lol its adding up

Serious now, what detector have you got or are getting?

I've never had need for a spare battery though with an SDC it can be an asset.

A big though not heavy pick (let the pick do the work not you work the pick)

No need for a belt holder, hang the pick off your opposite shoulder, this helps balance it out plus keeps it away from your coil and can be jettisoned if you fall, not stuck on you then possibly into you.

HoudiniHarry said:
Oh and good maps or a mate who knows where to look.

Yeah perhaps a treasure map.

1499767621_treasure_map.jpg

If you're swinging a 4500 you won't need a second battery. The last longer than a day and charge very quickly.

Pick you're pick for the terrain you're working in. We carry very light weight picks because most gold is found right near the surface. We keep a heavy pick in the vehicle along with a 6' crowbar and post hole shovel for the deep ones. History shows that the crowbar and post hole shovel dig a lot more cans than gold and the heavy pick is rarely used. If you intend to walk far a GPS is a must to mark those spots that you need to get back to for another go. It also helps to find your campsite again as well particularly in WA where you struggle to work out which way a gully runs and the hills can be few and far between. On an overcast day it can be very difficult to tell which direction you're headed. We carry a small plastic spade $3.50 from Bunnings to sort the gold from the soil and a nice pair of gloves can be handy as well. Mrs M even carries a piece of fake grass to kneel on but she swings an SDC so she's stopping every minute or so to dig another one.

1499769333_stop_here.jpg

And keep an eye out for the signs...... :eek:

Latest posts