Digging hand trowel

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well my cyclone hand trowel wasn't up to the task
What is the best hand digger to replace this bent tool
I like the Garret tool but is there a better one on the market in oz
Thanks for your replies in advance
Cheers Mud Guts

What are you digging in Mudguts, I use a few different tools depending on the terrain I am in. I have a plastic fiskar that had the tip snap off due to wear and tear so I just cut it down and it seems better, great for small holes, I also have a few small metal garden type trowels. I have a cut down listerine bottle for tight crevices.

If you are looking for a plug cutter, then the Lesche does well from what I have read.

Well I made my own
Cut a profile out of a plough disk and fitted a tube handle dressed up with a bike handle for comfort
Strong is not the word very happy with it

Here it is
1376209743_image.jpg

I'll add a comment on the Garrett digging tool.
After only very limited use the rubber grip slipped off!
I had used it in wet, muddy ground and it seems the glue let go.
Disappointed considering the price. It came as part of a package deal my lady bought for me with an AT PRO.
The disc in the pic is the end plug. Not welded in but just held in place by the rubber grip.

1376211628_digger.jpg

That was not good
Mine is fully welded and the end cap is also welded
It's good to have a shed like mine nothing is impossible

Mud Guts that is a top looking bit of gear and I doubt that you will break that one in a hurry :D
Looking to make up a pick out of a plow disc myself sometime in the future.
Good work!

That's half made will post picks lol pic when done but here is a sneak peak
As I am going with a timber handle to keep the weight down
1376212420_image.jpg

Ramjet said:
I'll add a comment on the Garrett digging tool.
After only very limited use the rubber grip slipped off!
I had used it in wet, muddy ground and it seems the glue let go.
Disappointed considering the price. It came as part of a package deal my lady bought for me with an AT PRO.
The disc in the pic is the end plug. Not welded in but just held in place by the rubber grip.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/214/1376211628_digger.jpg

ramjet where did you buy it from, as they should replace it for you. they come with warranty so it is not like you are stuck with it to be like that.

Hey mudguts,

I use the Cyclone Trowels from bunnings, I buy about 3 at a time all varying sizes and they tend to last a few trips before getting to scuffed up that they become no good.

Mind you I use them to scrap out narrower gaps and rock/soil after I have dug/smashed it up with my ET :)

I do not have a metal detector but because they are a plastic trowel would they not be good for scooping soil and waving over the end of a Minelab to find the little bits of gold, (or ring pull tabs) once you have had a hit with said Minelab?

A stiffer non-metallic type trowel would be good though :D

Stokesy

Still looking for a good crevicing tool, trusty old screwdriver works for me though.

Does anyone have and suggestions for a proper tool??

ET Digger said:
Still looking for a good crevicing tool, trusty old screwdriver works for me though.

Does anyone have and suggestions for a proper tool??
Hi ET Digger
Here's a couple of pics of a crevice tool I made. It's a hook and spoon type.
I have a screw driver in my kit. They're great for scratching out a crevice. The challenge is to get bits if gold in the bottom crevice into your pan.
A good crevice tool is the difference between finding some gold to a lot of gold.
Hope this will give you a little inspiration.
Cheers Ryan
1376394685_image.jpg
1376394706_image.jpg
1376394725_image.jpg

Great looking crevice tool there Ryan. What is it made from? I made a similar one, you can check it out in under the Crevice Tool Mk II thread, my first effort did not make it past the first crevice, and you are correct, makes a difference from find some gold to a lot of gold.

Cheers Tone

Hi Tone
The tool is made from 12mm steel rod. I put a bend in it with my press, however you can do the same in any bench vise. Sharpen the end with a grinder.
The spoon is a small offcut of 1.6mm steel sheet.
Fold over once again in vise. Hammer down to desired width.
Cut the folded piece on angle, so you have a sharp tapered point.
Weld to steel rod.
Happy days.
I will check out your mark II thread.
Cheers Ryan

Latest posts