Recharging the Deus from USB

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A question for the mathematicians/electricians
On the Deus 240v charging plug the output is 5volts......1000mA, what output 12v usb socket do I need to charge the Deus up safely ?
They sockets seem to go from 1.5 amp up to 3 or 4
cheers Keith

Fiirstly, 1000mA = 1 Amp, so a 1.5 Amp socket is fine. Higher amperage output sockets are OK too - the device being charged determines how much current it requires, not the charger, so as long as sufficient current is available there isn't a problem.

Secondly, there's no such thing as a 12 Volt USB output - they're all 5 Volts, as that's the USB standard. An auto plug/cigar lighter 12 Volt USB adapter, provides 5 Volts at its output socket/s.

grubstake said:
Fiirstly, 1000mA = 1 Amp, so a 1.5 Amp socket is fine. Higher amperage output sockets are OK too - the device being charged determines how much current it requires, not the charger, so as long as sufficient current is available there isn't a problem.

Secondly, there's no such thing as a 12 Volt USB output - they're all 5 Volts, as that's the USB standard. An auto plug/cigar lighter 12 Volt USB adapter, provides 5 Volts at its output socket/s.

Thanks for clarifying grubstake. I use all types of USB to charge many devices.... from 240v, to 12 v in the car to power packs. I figure the tech of the devices should be able to determine if it will work or not.

Note: I use an Inline Voltage / Amp usb meter to check the Voltage and the Current...

Just remember that some 12V USB Plugs may not supply what you want AND use as short a lead as possible ...

The internal USB charging cct, looks at the voltage of your device and then supply/draw the required current to charge at a known rate...

The system then looks at current draw and the Voltage and determines when it thinks it is full and to go into trickle mode etc...

If the USB cable is OLD or LONG and or bad contacts - That will cause issues and the lead can get hot and or your battery will be slow to charge etc to list just 2.

I change all my USB to Micro's etc every 12 months... Makes it simple and our phones and other devices never have charging issues...

Did a test on a mates lead the other day... With his phone almost flat, it was only drawing 0.24to 0.32A I plugged in a new lead and straight to 0.68A and his phone was charged while we had a coffee...

He has since replaced all his leads and some were 5 years plus...

I just use the item below... Have a couple of them... Not a super accurate/calibrated test device BUT it would be one of the best little Test Indicators I have ever used... I also have test loads and other bits that allow me to test chargers, as some of them are not always great. Seen plenty of 12V Usb car charger Specials that are rated at 1.5A to 2.0A for Apple products etc but not able to supply 1A......Not all items are labeled correctly :)

Charger Doctor -

3.5V to 7.0V (USB is generally 5V)
0A to 3A (USB is generally 0A to 2.4A max)
Great for finding your best cables and chargers
Can help diagnose charging issues
Works with all your existing USB and Lightning charging cables

All good to charge mate just use the factory supplied lead, clip etc. No weird extension leads or adaptors.
I charge from my deep cycle battery, car charger, battery pack and 240V and been doing it for a long time like that no worries at all.

Just NEVER leave it on charge overnight, or leave the battery flat for any length of time and you'll be sweet mate.

Happy Charging

Clegy

clegy said:
All good to charge mate just use the factory supplied lead, clip etc. No weird extension leads or adaptors.
I charge from my deep cycle battery, car charger, battery pack and 240V and been doing it for a long time like that no worries at all.

Just NEVER leave it on charge overnight, or leave the battery flat for any length of time and you'll be sweet mate.

Happy Charging

Clegy

about the overnight thing,Clegy :)...most things, with lion batteries, like phones etc,have no worries about being left on, as the charge drops to a trickle or maintenance charge,and overcharging safeguards..doesnt the deus do this?it would be good to know,as i charge most things while im sleeping (not the deus yet!), dont want to frag one of the batteries on the deus...

I never have to leave the Deus nor any of the accessories on charge overnight, as it really doesn't take long at all to do what should be just a top up - a couple of hours at the most. Sometimes I will do it first thing the morning before heading out, or even in the car if I forget - having rechargeable Li-po's is so flexible and convenient.

The other thing is that I have a recharging cable with four outlets, so that I can top up the ws4, remote & a couple of coils at the same time.

My Li-po vehicle jump starter has USB outlets, I also carry a power bank in the Deus case, plus the car also has USB outlets - quite frankly I have yet to use any of them in the field to date.

I also tend not to use the lower frequencies on the Deus, so that also helps to conserve battery life.

Latest posts