GPS and Radio advise wanted

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, Im hoping I can get some advise as to the GPS and Radio I should buy. There are so many out in the market place and the sales teams all tell you they have the best..Hoping to get more information from the members for the hand held radio and GPS. Not wanting to spend a years wages however understand that you get what you pay for. Looking at a trip to Nth Qld this year and wont have mains for power so I'll be using the Honda genset to recharge. Also hoping the GPS allows you to mark spots to come back to and upload maybe to a laptop. Not sure if Im asking too much.Will soon see.
regards
Mark

Try and use as much 12 volt for charging devices as you can, it allows you to have everything charging while on the road. Jaycar have a multi cigarette lighter adapter with 4 outlets. Ken.

Thanks Ken, Ill look into it. I was thinking all rechargable batteries but 12v another option.

GPS depends very much on what you are going to do with it! A simple 'cheapy' will get you back to your vehicle, usually has 2-3 waypoints so won't store 'patches' for you. I use a Garmin 62, and as number of people I was recently on tour with also use similar (62 or 64) and this does more than I'll ever learn to use! Not to say there's anything wrong with the equivalent Magellan...I just don't know anything about them!

As for a hand held radio, I use them for work (traffic control) and the best is Icom for range and battery life, and seem relatively indestructable (we have the same level of idiots as any other job!) Again though it comes down to what you may use it for, if its just keeping in touch with others reasonably close to you, the a 'Jaycar' special will probably do the trick. I think the Icom can be had 'online' for about $300, a similar price to most of the other 'name brands'

I would highly recommend getting a dual battery set up installed if at all possible and attach a small 12/240 v inverter ( about 600w is big enough) With this installed you will be able to charge 90% of your electronic devices and run a fridge as well. We charge the batteries from our cameras, laptops,vaccuum cleaner and electric chainsaw. Phones, netbooks,(both which can be used as gps's ) sat phone, etc are charged via usb adaptors while driving or from the caravan batteries.
Lots of places are taking a dim view about running generators, banned in National parks and most caravan parks, and if you're in a free camp and run it after about 8pm you might find you'll have some narky neighbours

I've got 1 of these in the car, very easy to install/use and has a very good range
https://www.ryda.com.au/index.php/g...MI1pWb_MPx1AIVmwYqCh186gwnEAQYAiABEgI_z_D_BwE

and these for walking around with, I don't believe the range they claim for them, more like a klm or so for the average user
https://www.uniden.com.au/australia/p_uh35_2_index.asp batteries last well and are easy to change
cheers Keith

Thanks Cairnspom and Keith. Ill look into what you both recommended. Id like more than 3 waypoints so the Garmin62 is worth looking into. Ill also look into the inverter as Ive been told that the gensets are sometimes frowned upon. Where I plan going that may not be a problem. Thanks again.Mark

We were in Southern Cross a couple of years back and I spotted this pair on the shelf for $50 all inclusive with rechargeable batteries. The batteries only lasted a year or so but the radios are great and the three rechargeable AA batteries that we use now last for a week or so being turned on all day. They are really light weight and seem to take a hiding.

1499260413_radios.jpg

We have two handheld GPS's. The Garmin Oregon is the best. You can take a photo of you campsite or anything else and return to the photo. The problem is it's heavy compared to the Garmin Etrex 20 that we received when we purchased the SDC. I carry the Etrex almost all the time. It has limited functionality but is light weight and the two AA batteries last for days. I'll often just mark the campsite as a waypoint and then turn it off while I head off to wherever the lure of gold takes me.

GME...Tx 675..2 watt radios have been good for me..my mate bought top of the range GME a couple of years ago and were too complicated to use..so many settings..press 1 wrong button and your screwed..in the right area we get up to 10 km range..with 2 watts..and they are nice and small and fit in your top pocket..and nice and light..

Hi Mark
I use Hema explorer on both my mobile phone and tablet. When I leave the Patrol I hit the record button and it records where I walk and you can add as many way points as you like and if you need to find your way back to the car , just look at the map. Once you have finished recording the track you can upload it to the Hema Cloud and download it to google earth. You only have to pay for the app once and can use it on multiple devices.

For my personal radio I bought a GME TX6155dual pack of ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GME-TX61...699509&hash=item5d6bf2c0cb:g:jnIAAOSwtGlZNta~

cheers

Bob

For around $5 you could also just buy the HandyGPS App for your phone. It doesn't show earth coverage if outside mobile range, but does let you plot tracks and waypoints and will show distance and direction to any waypoint (like your car) even if outside of coverage. Just put your phone in AirPlane mode to conserve power, or turn it off till you need it. The Motorola phones shown by Moneybox are also great value, and come with belt clips and dual charger. Generally last 2 days between at 8 hours per day.

Balmain Bob said:
Hi Mark
I use Hema explorer on both my mobile phone and tablet. When I leave the Patrol I hit the record button and it records where I walk and you can add as many way points as you like and if you need to find your way back to the car , just look at the map. Once you have finished recording the track you can upload it to the Hema Cloud and download it to google earth. You only have to pay for the app once and can use it on multiple devices.

For my personal radio I bought a GME TX6155dual pack of ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GME-TX61...699509&hash=item5d6bf2c0cb:g:jnIAAOSwtGlZNta~

cheers

Bob

Hi Bob, Looking into this as it means I dont need to buy a GPS. I have an old S2 that needs updating(still going strong bought 2011), so this is worth looking at.
Thanks Bob
regards
Mark

BigWave said:
For around $5 you could also just buy the HandyGPS App for your phone. It doesn't show earth coverage if outside mobile range, but does let you plot tracks and waypoints and will show distance and direction to any waypoint (like your car) even if outside of coverage. Just put your phone in AirPlane mode to conserve power, or turn it off till you need it. The Motorola phones shown by Moneybox are also great value, and come with belt clips and dual charger. Generally last 2 days between at 8 hours per day.

Hi Bigwave. Thanks for this. Sounds about the same as what Bob was saying. Looking into it now
regards
Mark

Baldy said:
GME...Tx 675..2 watt radios have been good for me..my mate bought top of the range GME a couple of years ago and were too complicated to use..so many settings..press 1 wrong button and your screwed..in the right area we get up to 10 km range..with 2 watts..and they are nice and small and fit in your top pocket..and nice and light..

Hi Baldy, I think I have the GPS sorted out, but the radios still yet to decide. Im looking for some type of radio that can recharge over the shortest period as Ill be relying on my genset for only 6 hours a day. Having two may enable me to charge one whilst Im out on the field and have the genset run a little longer.
thanks for your help.
regards
Mark

Moneybox said:
We were in Southern Cross a couple of years back and I spotted this pair on the shelf for $50 all inclusive with rechargeable batteries. The batteries only lasted a year or so but the radios are great and the three rechargeable AA batteries that we use now last for a week or so being turned on all day. They are really light weight and seem to take a hiding.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3960/1499260413_radios.jpg

We have two handheld GPS's. The Garmin Oregon is the best. You can take a photo of you campsite or anything else and return to the photo. The problem is it's heavy compared to the Garmin Etrex 20 that we received when we purchased the SDC. I carry the Etrex almost all the time. It has limited functionality but is light weight and the two AA batteries last for days. I'll often just mark the campsite as a waypoint and then turn it off while I head off to wherever the lure of gold takes me.

Hi Money box
Looks like Ive got the answer about the GPS. Looking at upgrading the mobile phone and down loading a app Bob told me about. As for the radio,I have a few now recommended Im looking into. Im also looking at the ones you use. Not sure they're $50.00 these days.
regards
Mark

Hi mark.Those little GME hold their Charge for days..They use bugger all battery just sitting in your pocket on standby..I have a twin pack which came with a charger they stand in no battery to take out..and the charger is USB powered..so any USB cable plugged in to 240 or 12v adapter works..I've had GME radios for 40 yrs in boats..they know their stuff..very reliable..The only problem I have with Most gear nowadays is they are too complicated..do 1000s of things you don't want..you have to be careful not to push the wrong button and change the settings..then radio 1 won't talk to radio 2..they must be set up the same..Cheers..by the way I also use hema on my phone in my other pocket and on a IPad in the car..Works brilliant..$39 app..

Thankyou everyone that helped me buy my new radios and Gps. Its such a mine field out there when it comes to getting an honest opinion from a salesman. Nothing like getting info from those that have bought and used the items. Off to far Nth Qld in a couple of months to chase some gold. I now have to go through the process of the detector to buy! 2300/4500/5000/7000..

Latest posts