Honda really still Honda

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I remember as a kid, if it was jap, it was crap. But they have come a long way since then of making fake dog poo and toy soldiers....
and they have started making very reputable stuff.
But Honda pumps aren't even made in Japan anymore!!! Now made in Thailand!!!
I know there has been some issues with Honda generators lately. Especially there 1 kva units.
So why are they still priced at their Japanese range. Why did they ship it off off shore???
Shortages of labour work force?.... ummm NO...
looking to upgrade, almost bought one, then saw the "MADE IN THAILAND" ..... WTF!
thrashed my cheapy for a few years now, no hassels at all.
Are they realy worth tripple the cost?

No replies from sellers, stockist, retailers, sponsors related to welcome to comment thank you.

I have really started to respect Chinese made products, sure there are plenty of crap ones, but my 5yo China made generator just keeps churning along just fine, same for a post hole digger and various other things. I have two pumps, but they haven't had much of a workout, so I can't comment much there.
One thing I've found is they can't make a decent chainsaw, so I got a husky, that should last me till I'm dead, so no need to be interested in anything else now.

I remember as a kid Jap products were pretty good, they were making 4 wheel steering Honda's then.
Seems that never caught on, haven't seen it since.
You must be a tad older than me.

Occasional_panner said:
I remember as a kid Jap products were pretty good, they were making 4 wheel steering Honda's then.
Way ahead of their time Jap engineering......... Japan has built some of the best engineered machines on the market :eek:
4 wheel steer is used in many vehicles to date and super cars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Vehicles_with_four-wheel_steering
I fly Jap bikes and wouldn't trust my life with anything else Yamaha :rainbow: :party:
Honda small engines currently have one of the best rep's along with Yami :party:
If you were looking at a Honda with made in Thailand means it came from Honda Manufacturing Thailand...that's all
Honda has been world wide for many years :eek:
http://world.honda.com/group/office/index.html
Being a small motor generator which is their bottom line of products they build them in Thailand :lol:
It's still Honda quality control :eek:
If they built it in Japan you can triple the price tag :eek:

Dont forget the Toyota! Ha.
Just had doubts when I found out. Got at least 400 hrs out of my cheapy.
And would buy the same again if it died.
Realy chasing about 4hp. Hard hp to find

B5MECH said:
Occasional_panner said:
Way ahead of their time Jap engineering......... Japan has built some of the best engineered machines on the market :eek:
I fly Jap bikes and wouldn't trust my life with anything else Yamaha :rainbow: :party:
Honda small engines currently have one of the best rep's along with Yami :party:
If you were looking at a Honda with made in Thailand means it came from Honda Manufacturing Thailand...that's all
Being a small motor generator which is their bottom line of products they build them in Thailand :lol:
Just imagine what the Germans would be doing now if WW2 never happened?

Might go cheap again mate but the way things are going everything will be made overseas then shipped here
Or the parts will be shipped in and will only be put together in australia
So then it would have to be classed as put together in australia not made oh well what can one expect these days 8.(

Occasional_panner said:
B5MECH said:
Occasional_panner said:
Just imagine what the Germans would be doing now if WW2 never happened?
:lol: :lol: ....AMG Would be making flying saucers to open up the market to aliens :lol: :Y:
https://www.mercedes-amg.com/
That could be the 2019 model though :eek:
If WW1 never happened the bloody beetle would never been built :N: :rolleyes: :lol:

i agree it pays to check, they do still manufacture gx series pumps in Japan, and China and they also make some in thailand, when you look at pumps on display the quality ones have a green lid "generally" but of course some suppliers have worked this out and I've no doubt they would swap the lids.

I buy my honda pumps from America these days as the quality is that much better as you've found Australia gets most thai products.

I have in my personal pumps a gx200 (running for 6 years get the most work) a wx15t and wx15 the t is quite clearly made in thailand and the 15 japan, any products that come out of Japan have the green labels, lids, or epa standards awards.

I've run alot of cheap pumps of ebay for testing purposes and found there are quite a few very good cheaper brands, the lifen, thornado, loncin, rato and a few others that constantly fire third pull and last in the cold. There are 5 times as many dodgy ones and the one consistent factor has been the lack of powdercoating on the pump housing.

It seems if its made to look like aluminium but is just grey paint they are generally pretty average, the pumps with red, yellow, blue housings seem to ahve good seals, i'm sure there is exception to the rule but thats been my finding.

there's a new supplier in the market claiming 18j litres per hour for a 4hp pump, i questioned them about their flow reports and they responce was "we do not offer presale support, our product information is as supplied and can answer any questions you may have" i replied with if i find your product is advertised as misleading and i purchase your pumps and test with a flow gauge you will be refunding me in full and wasting both of our time.

i'm yet to buy one but i will as i have my doubts and hate consumers being furfied, at least if i know i can recommend the product or warn people against it.

Latest posts