Recovery gear

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Havnt tried a sand anchor, but I reckon if you buried it, and the shackle and chain was strong enough, it would work great!

As for chemi weld, I cooked (cracked head)my old Diahatsu Rocky (3Y motor) a few years ago (20ish) and was broke, couldn't afford a recon head. Tipped a bottle of chemiweld in and drove the old girl for another 2 years on it, a mechanic mate told me to do it, best $20 I ever spent.

B5MECH said:
davent said:
I mean there should be a national minimum standard. I'm one of those that does extended trips as well.
I guess my is a bit bog centric. But bars leak,chemiweld, won't help in a bog!

I think you have totally missed the point of this post.
Barsleak and Chemiweld will only help when all hope is lost :rolleyes:
It won't take long for a new car's cooling system to fail 20 minutes at 38 degree day and you can do a ....... :p
..............Today I Cooked :mad: My engine...blocked the Rad... :rolleyes: ...Cracked both heads...burnt 14 valves and...Toasted two pistons :(
..............................................And still got stuck in the bush needing a 1000 buck tow job...so tomorrow I'll cook my Bank Account :lol:
Chuck em out Dave...your not in an EH anymore :rolleyes:
You've got more chance with a cake of soap and a raw egg :lol:
Radiator putty's magic stuff too
100 mile an hour Race tape can fix more things than a can of WD40 :lol:

No good in modern engines?
Worked fantastic on the old 3Y engine!

:rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:
1498808121_img_1688.jpg

New engines aren't made of the same metal, there is some that may work but the word of the day is..... May :/
It blocks the cooling system specifically those two were the worst :eek: ...My Rad Repairer won't even waste his time pulling tanks off a rad if it's had them used :mad:
Straight for recycling...which is most newer style Rads now unless it's copper brass or custom
And same for the head, usually warped beyond or cracked and porous
Coolant's don't mix either I've seen some mixes burn through Rad cores in a week 8) better off with straight water if unsure on brand
It's easier to fix a water leak than trying to add something that will cause more damage than good
Race tape will fix a blown hose..... Used to get NRMA breakdowns that's their fix and worked well
I've still got Radiator putty gluing a hole in my B5 Rad years old from the Harmonic balance exploding doing a burnout and going through the core :lol: :Y:
Some older engines were as good as bullet proof but those days are gone now :/

American army issue... folds flat for travel and has composting catch bags if you cant dig a hole. Just carry your nuggets to the nearest bin. :cool:

B5MECH said:
New engines aren't made of the same metal, there is some that may work but the word of the day is..... May :/
It blocks the cooling system specifically those two were the worst :eek: ...My Rad Repairer won't even waste his time pulling tanks off a rad if it's had them used :mad:
Straight for recycling...which is most newer style Rads now unless it's copper brass or custom
And same for the head, usually warped beyond or cracked and porous
Coolant's don't mix either I've seen some mixes burn through Rad cores in a week 8) better off with straight water if unsure on brand
It's easier to fix a water leak than trying to add something that will cause more damage than good
Race tape will fix a blown hose..... Used to get NRMA breakdowns that's their fix and worked well
I've still got Radiator putty gluing a hole in my B5 Rad years old from the Harmonic balance exploding doing a burnout and going through the core :lol: :Y:
Some older engines were as good as bullet proof but those days are gone now :/

Best I chuck em out then!

A plb has permanent residence in my car, its worth the 200 odd dollars in an life treathening situation.

My wife did a cleanup of all my gear--no way can i find my Thuraya Satphone----and it doesnt help if i can't do the bending and lifting to help in the search!!!!
Jaros :mad:

It's funny how everyone's priorities are different.

I have a PLB, that is a must if going ANYWHERE a cell phone won't work.
If I were going really remote for an extended time I'd include a sat phone.

My rig has the full arb recovery kit all straps winch block etc.

Having a winch on the vehicle I'd call a must, it got me out of the poop where on a steep incline another car snatching me just wouldn't have been an option.

All these things are great, epirbs etc, but really, I just want to get an idea of a basic recovery kit that all off roader should have in their car.
Stuff they can self rescue before it gets To serious.
A bow saw,axe ,shovel, snatch, max trax type things.

The other stuff, epirbs, whinches, spare everythings , torque wrenches,head gasket kits, wheel bearings, and computer diagnostic kits can wait lol!

One thing I did forget to mention is the skills and the vehicle to go where you want to go. It may be through a course or by tagging along with others, or even doing stupid things and realising that you shouldn't have tried that. Ken.

If your talking purely vehicle recovery I think many factors come into consideration but personally if your heading truly remote solo a winch is the first must. Given you can buy one now for under $400 and yes you can also spend several thousand on a Warn but no need. I have a Warn on one vehicle and also a cheap 12000Lb that I paid $295 for with Dyneema rope on another vehicle and have used it almost weekly over a period of years even after being 2ft under salt water and still goes strong. :Y: This with a $100 little chainsaw in your kit will get you out of most situations.
I'd put a sat phone over a PLB as can come in handy for many situations that may not be life threatening plus even in such a situation being able to tell some one the details of the emergency they are responding to enables them to be better equipped knowing what they are responding to? Many Sat phones also have a feature that will send out messages along with co ordinates to pre selected numbers also notifying others of your situation simply by pressing an emergency button so in effect it is also a PLB in any case. You can't call the station homestead on a PLB which by having them send out a vehicle your problem situation is sorted simply and easily. ( After original Sat purchase you can have it online for $15 a month with no other cost unless used so it's only costing 50 cents a day to have in your glove box :Y: Others can also call you at no cost ) Makes much more sense than actioning a SAR which ties up valuable rescue crews and high costs. Have been a few people lately that have not liked the bill they have received for using a PLB in a situation it was not meant to be used. :N:
Be smart ...................... be safe :Y:

All very good Points there Bogger..... Much prefer Sat Phone over PLB any day...And they are Fairly cheap to Hire too if you don't want to fork out the $$ for one... As people on here say.... Kit yourself to the Conditions that you will encounter... What you may need in the NT, may not suit Me at Glen Innes or Somebody doing the Simpson Desert run... Or the High Country in VIC.... :|

I Always have a snatch strap, rated shackles, Water, Shovel, Couple of cans of Baked Beans, and a tarp and Blanket, so if I do get stuck at least I can eat, sleep and wait for help if I need it.... :Y: And Steel Wool for a fire starter...Works a treat. :Y: .. Who would think Steel Wool Burns.. :eek:

Every-one has posted some good ideas, so im sure you can make your-self a kit to suit Your Needs out of peoples suggestions from here...

And most importantly, Don't Get Stuck in the first instance.... ]:D

Latest posts