Collecting meteorite in QLD ILLEGAL?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pfffttt..... and apparently we live within a democracy! I'm sure plenty people leave them in place.... gotta love Qld laws. No fun in the sun up here!..... sorry, early morning rant over. :D

One would have to be a trained geologists to recognise and authenticate that what one has picked up to collect is in actual fact a meteorite ,... one therefore is until trained oblivious to the nature of origin of said rocky looking thing in ones collection and cannot therefore be held to account with regards what said particular rock indeed is. (taking my bow) :|

I thought it was illegal throughout Australia. It is a bit like indigenous artifacts, moving it destroys information about location used in science, including location of dated meteorite showers - without that context it has limited value. Also it removes a potential place to search for better pieces. There are not all that many things have restrictions of that type. Unfortunately science cannot use "I found it at..." For example. a pice found near Woolfe Creek indicates the type of meteorite that formed the hole (there are many types) - we would not know that if it had been removed, we would not know the age...

Anyone interested in meteorites should read the book "Incoming"

Here is one we used to visit in the bush in Africa when I was but a lad....

1498788160_hoba.jpg

Luke said:
...next one will be gold nuggets :(

look at NSW regs... Limited to weight and or number of Nuggets as to what a hobbyist can take - Full miners licence to take large quantities...

As to meteorite's as I understand it is the same across the world... From outer space; so governments want to know or inspect/test.

Not saying that every one follows the rules/regs but to a large extent I can understand the intent; for research and science..

Saw an 'Old' Bloke at a suspect Meteorite location, walking around on a walking stick... When he went back to his car, he calmly pulled 'Stones' from the end of his walking stick... :/
I then realised that he had a magnet on the End of his stick.... Sneaky B@#$@D.... :eek: ]:D ]:D

LW...

LoneWolf said:
Saw an 'Old' Bloke at a suspect Meteorite location, walking around on a walking stick... When he went back to his car, he calmly pulled 'Stones' from the end of his walking stick... :/
I then realised that he had a magnet on the End of his stick.... Sneaky B@#$@D.... :eek: ]:D ]:D

LW...

I've read stories in old books of blokes doing that to gold miners during the gold rush as well, poking around the gold in the pans they were shown. Wonder how many ended up in strife for doing so.

silver said:
One would have to be a trained geologists to recognise and authenticate that what one has picked up to collect is in actual fact a meteorite ,... one therefore is until trained oblivious to the nature of origin of said rocky looking thing in ones collection and cannot therefore be held to account with regards what said particular rock indeed is. (taking my bow) :|
:rolleyes:.... ]:D ... you cheeky bugga you, we know your aware 'ignorance' is no defense in a Court of Law. :p :lol: :lol:

grubstake said:
goldierocks said:
Here is one we used to visit in the bush in Africa when I was but a lad....

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4386/1498788160_hoba.jpg

Wow - that's a fantastic 'in situ' pic! Is that the largest known intact meteorite, that I believe the local authorities have now built an amphitheatre around, to make it more of a tourist attraction?

Yes, that is the Hoba meteorite, largest known nickel-iron meteorite in the world. And yes, they have excavated it and put an ampitheatre around it. You can see a tiny slice (shiny) taken off the edge where our mineralogist, Bruno Geir, cut a slice for study more than half a century ago. We used to have to hunt for it in the rain forest.
1498907732_hoba2.jpg

Latest posts