Rocks from Lefty

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My uncle has a beautifully clean little amethyst crystal from Binbee, half royal purple and half completely colourless with a neat division between the two. I would like to facet it but he wants to keep it as is because he found it while on a trip there with his father - since passed away - many years ago.

Stones can definately have sentimental value! There are a few I have that I would never part with for similar reasons.

Good Practice Stones Lefty.... I have some here that would cut Very well... I just need to find a Cutter that will push the boundaries beyond the Norm ;) ]:D
Some of the Colour Zones are quite interesting in the Smokey and the Amethyst...

As for 'What will you do with them'? My Missus and Daughter quite often asks me that... ]:D :lol:
But they Do make nice Pendants and not much shaping required.... :Y:

LW...

They are out now.
1500987046_2017-07-25_17.07.05.jpg

Looking good there mate :Y:

Got to be careful, some just disappeared too soft.

I remember my grandfather putting some tiny little Mount Hay thunderegg halves in the vibra-lap with the really coarse grit and then going away for the weekend - upon his return all that remained were little agate slivers :)

G'day all. A while ago I got some stones from Lefty. Actually it was well over 6 weeks ago. When I received them I put them through the various stages of tumbling. Came to the second last stage and they looked terrible. No where near smooth. Didn't look much better than sand papered stones. My fault. I was using old plasic balls for filling. Bad idea. The previous grits had embedded into the plastic balls. So being rather $ poor atm I ended up racking up the nectarine seed shells from under my tree and crushing them up with a dolly and using them for filler. I changed the on each stage. Finally they came out really nice. Very happy. Amethyst were Lefties last lot. The others were some O had previously done but wasn't happy with so I retumbled them.

1535880778_2018-09-02_18.49.03.jpg

Now that's ingenuity mate - home made tumbling medium :Y: :)

They look great mate :Y:

This is why you should never throw away anything you find on your fossicking forays - someone might be able to use them some day. You can see the variation on colour of the Lowmead amethyst from the light tint formerly called Rose-de-France through to a deep purple. These particular pieces were not suitable for faceting but I kept them all the same - now someone has turned them into some beautiful tumbled stones. Well done Wishfull :Y: