Best raked camp in WA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldflower

Craig
Reaction score
We raked up around several trees and found a couple of gram plus nuggets. It looked that good we decided to camp there.

1497851066_img_3889.jpg

Some camp oven cooking. The boys doing it tuff in the bush.

1497851104_img_3883.jpg

1497851119_img_3957.jpg

Hey Goldflower, very nice indeed. A question if I may, do you always camp under hardwood trees as I thought they were dangerous for falling limbs?
Cheers
Mackka

Mackka said:
Hey Goldflower, very nice indeed. A question if I may, do you always camp under hardwood trees as I thought they were dangerous for falling limbs?
Cheers
Mackka

Just have to look up Mackka, if no dead limbs above you no worries.

Occasional_panner said:
I see you have a goldmonster in your tag line, how are you finding that mate?

Different, it sort of reminds me of why I sold my Garrett A2B Ground Hog back in the day.

I only have 4 hours under my belt with the GM in the WORST trash area in the world. In saying that it did what it says it can do.
I will get use to it and give a full review from a newbie as have little to no experience with VLF machines.

Goldflower said:
Mackka said:
Cheers
Mackka

If only it was that simple! Are you not aware that eucalypts drop perfectly healthy-looking branches from time to time? From my personal experience (local Perth parkland and ownership of 500 acre bush block in southwest WA), they usually fall without any warning in still, hot weather, rather than during storms, although a strong wind can bring them down too. Take care, mate - they're not called "widow-makers" for nothing.

grubstake said:
Goldflower said:
Mackka said:
Cheers
Mackka

If only it was that simple! Are you not aware that eucalypts drop perfectly healthy-looking branches from time to time? From my personal experience (local Perth parkland and ownership of 500 acre bush block in southwest WA), they usually fall without any warning in still, hot weather, rather than during storms, although a strong wind can bring them down too. Take care, mate - they're not called "widow-makers" for nothing.

Thanks Grubstake, I will keep that in mind.

The desert timber is a little different to the Eucalypts that grow in the higher rainfall areas down South. The Karri is the main one to look out for.
Not all Eucalypts are the same. If you saw my house you would freak out. For one the fire risk, secondly limbs and whole trees falling and thirdly just plan scary for some in a big storm.

I have a property in Walpole with 400 year old Red Tingle, Karri, Marri and have milled and worked in the forest for many years. And who knows, the bush might take me one day.

One can not get complacent though so thanks :Y:

grubstake said:
Goldflower said:
Mackka said:
Cheers
Mackka

Back when I started cutting Timber they taught us what to look for, The branches you need to watch out for are the ones that get a brown stain just below where the limb joins the trunk, The darker the stain the more risk there is of it letting go,

John.

grubstake said:
Goldflower said:
Mackka said:
Cheers
Mackka

If not the limb you have certainly hit the nail on the head Grubstake ....................... my old man was a big timber man all his life and as far as he was concerned the first and only warning you get is the crack like a rifle shot ........................... then it's over. Danger times are especially after a dry spell then a rain when dried limbs become heavy with water ................... don't worry about looking for signs as you will not see anything visual in most cases. If amongst timber in winds using headphones I will even cock off one ear so peripheral sounds can still be heard.

1497912229_dad_on_the_timber.jpg

Bogger said:
grubstake said:
Goldflower said:
Mackka said:
Cheers
Mackka

If not the limb you have certainly hit the nail on the head Grubstake ....................... my old man was a big timber man all his life and as far as he was concerned the first and only warning you get is the crack like a rifle shot ........................... then it's over. Danger times are especially after a dry spell then a rain when dried limbs become heavy with water ................... don't worry about looking for signs as you will not see anything visual in most cases. If amongst timber in winds using headphones I will even c@#k off one ear so peripheral sounds can still be heard.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1497912229_dad_on_the_timber.jpg

Wow, if the limbs don't get you that saw will. One dangerous bit of gear right there. Great pic :Y:

Yeah ............... I don't think health care and safety had been thought of back then. ;) Was what was called a swing saw with a ripping blade that had teeth about 50mm long that you could cut your finger on. As a pre school kid out the bush with Dad was well informed on not being or going anywhere near it whilst operating. Swing saw in fact killed quite a few over the years that either stepped back into them whilst left running when setting up logs or when dropping the tree were not quick enough to get away if the tree fell the wrong way. Cutting sleepers for the railways :Y:

1497926023_dad_sleeper_cutting.jpg

1497926110_dad_3.jpg

Yes mate that's him ....................... original bushie tough as nails. I've seen him sink an axe into his leg handle deep and just wrap a hankie around it and keep working ................ then drove the old Austin 8 ute home and light the chip heater and have a bath as he didn't want to go to the doctors dirty. I know where I would have been heading dirt or no dirt. He used to lug wheat before school and then unhitch the draught horse and ride it to the Moliagul school. Men of his era I think were just tough simply because they had to be as life in those days was just that ................. tough. :Y:
Those pics were taken at Woodbrook in Victoria January 1960 so I can guess it wasn't with a digital camera :D