Hello All

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All!

i am from Austria and will be working and travelling a bit in NSW for the next three months.
I have started to prospect for gold as a hobby in New Zealand last winter and continued back home in Europe Austria, mainly with handsluice in the rivers around Salzburg and Krnten.

For 3 weeks in Aug/Sept a mate joins me and we wanted to go and try our luck around NSW and detect and sluice for gold a bit while travelling around Australia for the first time.

I am looking to buy a used sdc2300,gpx 4500 or 5000 if anyone is maybe selling? I will be based in Thredbo for work from late June and spent some time in Sydney before. Any help with this would be highly appreciated as we can t afford a new machine really but still wanted to have a solid machine for back home aswell.

I have read through the fossicking rules NSW and other info i found on the net. We just wanted to have a good time rather than causing any trouble, if lucky find a bit a gold with it.

Cheers for any help! :)

Greets Stefan

Cheers Doug and Jaros!
:)
if there are any members selling please contact me, i can do pick up(nsw) or post to Thredbo, pay cash or paypal or bank transfer, i think our budget is limited to 3000 and maybe best for some beginners would be a sdc?

saw an offer for a gp3000 being moded, around 2000, would that be a thing to buy?

Thanks for any advise!

Greets Stefan

.......Welcome skibbo :p when's the powder coming :lol: :lol:
You'll be working hey :p ... :lol: :lol: .......My season pass is for Perisher but may get there this year if the powder gods point there :p :lol: :Y:

hi there! haha good question i guess you should know better?! interested in how good it can get! :D i hope it will not rain too much my only concern!yeh i be working a bit then have 3 weeks to travel in the end, get an offroad and cruise around a bit.
Hopefully be able to find some time for a bit of prospecting and hiking in the area if not too much snow. :)

A big welcome Stefan , great to hear your coming to Australia for work and pleasure . I'm sure NSW members will keep you busy . Enjoy your stay and hopefully find some yellow . SDC is a great choice .

Cheers

goldrat

It's usually a slow start each season but looking at the world wide weather I'm hoping this year is the big one ....The white out of all white outs :lol: :lol: :Y:
Dumped the first load a little earlier than usual, It's just gota keep following through :rolleyes: fingers crossed :Y:
The Snowys are a difficult area because of the National Park thing but there has been a few members that have got onto private property on the Thredbo river ;)
I'm always trying to learn something new when I go but the dam snow gets in the way :lol: Yellow or White...it's all gold :rainbow: :party:
I should apologise on behalf of N.S.W the snow is poor to what you'd be used to so make the most of it while it's here :lol:
Threadbo you'll love it...was the first place I learn't to hurt myself with ice...

Cheers goldrat! the sdc would be our favorite from what we gathered, guess the gpx over budget.

I have been researching minview a bit, thredbo river looked interesting for sure, was hoping there would be some public spots too but maybe if i find someone to ask I will give it a try:)

thought the ingebirah state forest could be interesting maybe get a license.

I am happy with any snow really, just shred any stuff always happy to experience new but if it s similar to nz then it s usually a bit heavier;-)Looking forward to the whole journey for sure!!! :p

B5MECH said:
It's usually a slow start each season but looking at the world wide weather I'm hoping this year is the big one ....The white out of all white outs :lol: :lol: :Y:
Dumped the first load a little earlier than usual, It's just gota keep following through :rolleyes: fingers crossed :Y:
The Snowys are a difficult area because of the National Park thing but there has been a few members that have got onto private property on the Thredbo river ;)
I'm always trying to learn something new when I go but the dam snow gets in the way :lol: Yellow or White...it's all gold :rainbow: :party:
I should apologise on behalf of N.S.W the snow is poor to what you'd be used to so make the most of it while it's here :lol:
Threadbo you'll love it...was the first place I learn't to hurt myself with ice...

Just a quick question, does the whole river belong to a private land owner in case his land borders the river or is the riverbed and water public like it is here in Aut?Sometimes you can access a river via public land and the hike downstream for instance?!

Cheers for any advise!

Hi Skibbo,

Nearly all waterways in Australia are crown land except seasonal creeks on private land.
Most private land owners abutting waterways will own the land to the "high water" level. There are some cases (rare) where land ownership is to the middle of the river or creek.
You are always best to seek permission from land owners, even if you wonder up the creek or river from a public road and be sure the waterway your in is not on the exempted rivers and tribituary list.

Welcome to the forum champ.

Cheers

Modern Miner.

skibbo said:
B5MECH said:

Just a quick question, does the whole river belong to a private land owner in case his land borders the river or is the riverbed and water public like it is here in Aut?Sometimes you can access a river via public land and the hike downstream for instance?!

Cheers for any advise!
The ski tube and up is NP then all the Property is private not sure on any leases ..........Also Cooma Monaro shire and a few surrounding areas
....down Barry way was a mine somewhere, there is a way to do map overlays...maybe have a search up top it's on PA somewhere ;)
Maybe go and have a chat to Steve Williamson the Trout guy... he may know where to point you
A lot of it's farming but my GF's cousins boss owns one of the mansions...think it's out of my league but I'll ask and see if I can have a scratch around
It's looking shitty down there what's going on :eek: You were meant to bring me snow when you come here from Austria :lol: :lol: :Y:

Cheers guys

Thanks modern miner for the info, have to check the exempted ones!

Bringing my little sluice, would be fun to find a spot to put it up, if not too cold :lol:
I will definitely try find the trout guy, cheers! do you know of anyone going sluicing/panning there regularly or is it more rarely? Found a nice little map with all the gold fields of the alps, most of them are in the np, see if I can find some of the old mines and get a good hike. :) looks like not too much snow guess it s cold enough to make some, maybe next weekend some will arrive!

Greets, starting the journey soon!

skibbo said:
Cheers guys

Thanks modern miner for the info, have to check the exempted ones!

Bringing my little sluice, would be fun to find a spot to put it up, if not too cold :lol:
I will definitely try find the trout guy, cheers! do you know of anyone going sluicing/panning there regularly or is it more rarely? Found a nice little map with all the gold fields of the alps, most of them are in the np, see if I can find some of the old mines and get a good hike. :) looks like not too much snow guess it s cold enough to make some, maybe next weekend some will arrive!

Greets, starting the journey soon!

No worries Skibbo, you're welcome.
Happy travels buddy.
Be safe.

Cheers
Ben.

Hi Stefan welcome to the forum and Australia. Hope you find plenty of colour and have a great time during your stay in australia. Scratch

Cheers guys, thanks for the helpful info, I been busy with work so far but managed to get access to the little thredbo and will give it a shot the next days before the snow comes! Really enjoying how relaxed pretty much everyone is here, good vibes and the way forward, Europe is pretty tight these days!

Greets Stefan

1498738732_dsc_1754.jpg

The first gold in Australia for me :D
Had an awesome hike and saw a brumby stallion which was an unreal experience, not enough time to dig but found some bedrock, next time :Y:

:rainbow: :party: :cool: :Y: Did it shrink in the cold cold water 8) :lol: . :lol: .....Well done skibbo Cold Gold:cool: :Y:
Are they still trying to cull the Brumby's this year? :mad: ..At least one got away :/ :rolleyes:

Latest posts