Keen beginner

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone i hope all is well. Just wanted to say hello. Im from victoria north west and have just started detecting. I have purchased a garrett atx pi, some will agree some will laugh some will let be. I have been out a few times mainly the tarnagulla area and I think I have worked out the settings on the garrett quite well. Havn't found a nugget yet but plenty of junk. I don't know anyone personally to teach me about gold detecting so I have been using all internet sources. If there is anyone out there that is willing to catch up for a day I'm happy to travel anywhere around the golden triangle or even local outdoors or at the pub ,couple drinks on me, just to get some knowledge and tips under my sleeve and possibly form a friendship. :)

welcome aboard Kozi ,.... sometimes self taught gets surprising results, as you won't go where everyone else does ,... you can tell this already by the junk you are finding, all you need do is walk over a nugget and keep it under your hat , and your cards close to your chest. ;) :)

Very true silver. Yesterday I was out with a mate and picked up a signal over a large patch that has already been dug out and re covered. So we thought maybe they have missed what they were looking for. It was at the base of a old large tree. We dug down to approx 800mm and getting a really strong signal. Continued to dig to realise the signal started to fade. By this time we were at 1mtr+. I noticed a hollow section in the tree stump leading to the signal area. To cut the story short, someone thought they would be funny and lodged a full can of coke down the hollow section, covered with a layer of leaves and topped it off with a rock. I only worked this out after removing the rock (took half hour) and sticking my phone camera down the hole and video taped. So after 2 hours we were covering up our grave. That's why it would be great to learn from others with real time experience to help me avoid these situations. :|

Kozi M said:
Very true silver. Yesterday I was out with a mate and picked up a signal over a large patch that has already been dug out and re covered. So we thought maybe they have missed what they were looking for. It was at the base of a old large tree. We dug down to approx 800mm and getting a really strong signal. Continued to dig to realise the signal started to fade. By this time we were at 1mtr+. I noticed a hollow section in the tree stump leading to the signal area. To cut the story short, someone thought they would be funny and lodged a full can of coke down the hollow section, covered with a layer of leaves and topped it off with a rock. I only worked this out after removing the rock (took half hour) and sticking my phone camera down the hole and video taped. So after 2 hours we were covering up our grave. That's why it would be great to learn from others with real time experience to help me avoid these situations. :|

All learning. As long as you were having fun and outdoors.
I would be interested in going for a dig. Also keen to see the Garrett in action.
I have viewed loads of videos I am impressed with your 1 mtr trench :).
All I can say is I am glad it is winter. You would only be a grease spot if it was hot.

I am out Inglewood most weekends usually Sunday so let me know.
We may get others that want to come along.

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers and welcome.

Kozi M said:
Kozi
I think most of us have fallen for this one, me inclusive. However, I'm sure you won't fall for it again. Also, watch out for nails hammered in to the base of trees.
Keep an eye on the member meet ups. It's a great way to meet up with people and learn from them. Hope to see you out there some time.
Cheers

HoudiniHarry said:
Kozi M said:

All learning. As long as you were having fun and outdoors.
I would be interested in going for a dig. Also keen to see the Garrett in action.
I have viewed loads of videos I am impressed with your 1 mtr trench :).
All I can say is I am glad it is winter. You would only be a grease spot if it was hot.

I am out Inglewood most weekends usually Sunday so let me know.
We may get others that want to come along.

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers and welcome.

HoudiniHarry. I have sent you a pm but not sure if you have recieved it.

Harry was last here at 4:15pm today, I'm sure he'll see your message when he next logs on.
The green dot to the left above your avatar shows when you are logged on. :D

Struth Kozi,

After putting that much effort digging under a tree stump I would of put a small charge in there and removed the offending problem but that wouldn't be allowed now. ]:D ]:D

Keep up the ethuiasism and you will be rewarded. I'm sure that the like of HoudiniHarry will help you out.

All the best mate and welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Doug

Kozi M welcome to the forum , already a response from some great members . If Harry Houdini posts a meet up time I will try and make it .
I run and SDC and can't afford a 7000 ( + too heavy ) and I was very interested in a Garrett ATX , my age and the ATX weight stopped me from purchasing it .
May catch up , depends on schedule .

Cheers

goldrat

silver said:
Harry was last here at 4:15pm today, I'm sure he'll see your message when he next logs on.
The green dot to the left above your avatar shows when you are logged on. :D
Cheers. All goid now. Iv wirked it out. :Y:

HoudiniHarry said:
What about a catch up in Inglewood next to Bendigo Bank at 11am Sunday?
I will be in a White holden rodeo ute.

Sorry work gets in the way of fun :)
Sounds good. I will be in a dark grey holden colorado.

goldrat said:
Kozi M welcome to the forum , already a response from some great members . If Harry Houdini posts a meet up time I will try and make it .
I run and SDC and can't afford a 7000 ( + too heavy ) and I was very interested in a Garrett ATX , my age and the ATX weight stopped me from purchasing it .
May catch up , depends on schedule .

Cheers

goldrat
Hope to see you there

Rockhunter62 said:
Struth Kozi,

After putting that much effort digging under a tree stump I would of put a small charge in there and removed the offending problem but that wouldn't be allowed now. ]:D ]:D

Keep up the ethuiasism and you will be rewarded. I'm sure that the like of HoudiniHarry will help you out.

All the best mate and welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Doug
Thanks mate. It is quite dufficult getting the trust of someone you have never met and also good advise so i do really apreciate anything that can help me out. If I succeed my family succeeds.

I managed to take out the rock covering the can but the can itself was put in a spot to annoy I'm sure.

Latest posts