Australian state by state known Gold bearing areas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Victorian list is not terribly representative. For example, Alexandra, Glen Wills, Bonang and Rushworth are very minor and Benalla insignificant (if you include these you would need to include a couple of dozen more). There is no gold at Mansfield (you have to move a long way northwest, west or south to get to minor fields). And some of the reasonably large fields are missed (e.g. Beaufort, Avoca, Maryborough, Maldon, Daylesford, Creswick, Harrietville, Woods Point, Walhalla).

This map from a paper this year is accurate and might help:

1565223750_vic_gold_map.jpg

It is not absolutely complete, but includes all significant fields and is more accurate in many ways (eg you won't see Castlemaine because most of its gold was slightly east at Chewton).

This list is a bit out of date - Beaufort and Avoca now over 30 tonne each, Beechworth figure probably 100 tonne larger,,,,
1565227767_vic_production.jpg

That should give you a good idea where to prospect in Victoria....

goldierocks said:
The Victorian list is not terribly representative. For example, Alexandra, Glen Wills, Bonang and Rushworth are very minor and Benalla insignificant (if you include these you would need to include a couple of dozen more). There is no gold at Mansfield (you have to move a long way northwest, west or south to get to minor fields). And some of the reasonably large fields are missed (e.g. Beaufort, Avoca, Maryborough, Maldon, Daylesford, Creswick, Harrietville, Woods Point, Walhalla).

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4386/1565223750_vic_gold_map.jpg

It is not absolutely complete, but includes all significant fields and is more accurate in many ways (eg you won't see Castlemaine because most of its gold was slightly east at Chewton).

Interesting Buckland Valley/Bright are missing off that map being quite significant fields.

Aussiedigs said:
goldierocks said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4386/1565223750_vic_gold_map.jpg

Interesting Buckland Valley/Bright are missing off that map being quite significant fields.
There has been a lot said about that area on blogs here, but the yield was not gigantic and is difficult to separate from Beechworth and Harrietville (they used to all be in the "Beechworth Mining District"). Probably larger than places like Alexandra though, but Buckland Valley had negligible hard-rock production and was soon worked out (the volume of alluvial in those deep, narrow valleys was limited). As the map says, it includes fields with more than 500,000 oz production - it is uncertain that either of those fields would have exceeded that. There are scores of fields not shown with lesser production, as I mentioned.

Hey Folks, New to this . I am heading from the hunter valley to dubbo in NSW, have a small gofind metal dector, was hoping someone might sugguest where to have a little look around. cheers Gary

Cheers Nuget those map references will give me something to research for my upcoming trip to WA :Y:

Gday all you good people, theres meant to be gold still in the hills of Gippsland. Just thought I might mention it. :Y:

Bit of a vast area lol
:pickshovel: :goldnugget:
1595624249_screenshot_2020-07-25-06-56-07.jpg

probly pickup C19 even just thinking about it :skull:

I didnt trawl through all the posts but a couple more that may not be on the list
Mt Britton Near Nebo Queensland ( a lot of fossils in the area as well)
Buckland valley Victoria
Wandilogong / Bright Victoria

Hey Nugget, could you possibly tell me where l could get some maps for around bakers hill, Ballarat and Buninyong, Ballarat

Managed to place All Australia`s States Gold Deposits into one picture with Google Earth.
Now i wonder is there Gold in the Deserts or is it because nobody ever goes there. :/

1610263435_screenshot_25.jpg

FreeGold said:
Hey Nugget, could you possibly tell me where l could get some maps for around bakers hill, Ballarat and Buninyong, Ballarat
I assume you mean around Bakery Hill (in the middle of the city now). Go to Geological Survey of Victoria sales (maps) and look for 100,000 and 1:50,000 maps and the Report that goes with them.

Thanks Nugget and other contributors, being new to this experience I need all the help I can get.
Going NT and WA later in year if the gods look kindly upon us. Hoping to do a bit of swinging as we travel.
Cheers Fyshy

undertaker said:
What about Gloucester and Barrington Tops areas? Has gold ever been found there?
yes mate i actualy have some old maps on Barrinton tops but from my knowledge theres never been a high yeild from that area but i only dug on the surface of the info i found

Bush said:
Managed to place All Australia`s States Gold Deposits into one picture with Google Earth.
Now i wonder is there Gold in the Deserts or is it because nobody ever goes there. :/

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/6815/1610263435_screenshot_25.jpg

Plenty of people go there. The main reason is that the deserts include rocks unlikely to contain gold, such as sedimentary basins younger than the youngest gold deposits. But of course some of the biggest gold deposits do occur in the deserts - Telfer for example.

I can't speak for the East Coast, but WA State Records Office has some cool old (circa-1900) maps and docs for where shafts were sunk/areas prospected. Love that some of these historical docs have been uploaded for easier access, and in some cases show spots that are not reflected on newer maps.

1629245767_cons_3869_williams_055.jpg

Latest posts