Sdc strikes gold at last

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys for your comments.One good thing to come out of it I had rosy cheeks all week when I came home,and my arthritis in my knee was not so restrictive as I can now do up my shoe laces and not call the lady.My cardio vascular system is probably in better shape than if I was sitting at home.So I am getting younger ???:p Living in Sebastopol we will now do day trips to Smythesdale,Pigoreet area even Dareel.Maybe I will find some coins and belt buckles.My first foray to find a historic gully south of Buninyong met with limited success.I found some diggings on the way but the tracks were so narrow and rough that my Mitsubishi van could not go through the last stretch. Need to hone my skills and get more practice on the Impact as I like it a lot due to it being stable on the goldfields and a sensitive machine and it does not feel like a toy.Digging up coins and relics will give me more confidence.My thinking is getting the 40 cm coil would be an improvement as the unit could handle the increased instability inherent with larger coils in high mineralisation.But the default settings on the unit are optimized for coin hunting in parks and beaches.Hoping Nokta can give me some advice on the settings to use in goldfields as I feel I am not using the unit to its full potential.The other side of the coin is Nokta have no idea and are waiting for users like me to forward them information if at all interested.But it has been tested on 5 continents ;) but for what? If Nokta bring out the Impact Gold next year maybe they will get rid of a low frequency as all comments I have read so far recommend using 20 Khz for gold detecting on this unit. Trying to wrestle with this 12 mode monster has also stimulated my brain and hopefully warded off senility for a while. :party:

Did another trip 2 weeks ago. It was so cold that 25mm of water that was in the billy can froze solid. I had 2 pairs of socks on a singlet a shirt 2 jumpers and a pair of jeans and gloves on in my sleeping bag and swag in the back of the wagon. Sam found 2 bits for ths wk end. I didn't find any yellow but lots of rusted tin and wire. I tried the 4500 on high trash but found I was still picking up rusted tin and wire.
We agreed it's time to start looking for new ground so the hunt is on.
Here are some happy snaps.
1499474694_2017-07-08_10.09.35.jpg

Long drop this one, couldn't see the bottom. There was a well we found that took 8 seconds for a rock to hit the bottom. You got to wonder how the heck they dug those holes so deep, and it was lined with timbers as far diwn as we could see, unreal !
1499474986_2017-07-08_10.13.45.jpg

Had to climb up to the top of the hill for a look at the view. You gotta love this country, awesome.
1499475130_2017-07-08_10.12.08.jpg

Some of the old diggings in the area. The different colours were interesting.

Like I said the hunt is on now for a new area now.

Hey Wishful, with the high trash setting, were you using a DD coil? That preset is pretty much set up for a DD coil, it's the only preset specifically set up for DD use as the iron reject is switched on.

Best of staying in general or deep and adjusting the settings in either of those if using a mono coil.

Heatho said:
Hey Wishful, with the high trash setting, were you using a DD coil? That preset is pretty much set up for a DD coil, it's the only preset specifically set up for DD use as the iron reject is switched on.

Best of staying in general or deep and adjusting the settings in either of those if using a mono coil.
Was using the mono coil, the DD hasn't even been put on the 4500 yet. So I was wasting my time with the mono on high trash...mmm another note for the learning curve. Thank you :Y: old dogs do learn new tricks :)

Wishfull said:
Heatho said:

Was using the mono coil, the DD hasn't even been put on the 4500 yet. So I was wasting my time with the mono on high trash...mmm another note for the learning curve. Thank you :Y: old dogs do learn new tricks :)

Not wasting your time if you were still finding small targets but it's not an optimum setting for a mono coil. Finding a lot of small trash is just part of the equation when gold detecting. General and deep are good starting points for the GPX's, then just tweaking a few serttings such as gain and stabiliser once you have it running nicely.

The 4500 and 5000 take a bit of time to learn, each trip you learn a bit more. :Y:

Hi guys,
enjoy the forum and happy to report after many pieces of lead shot, finally some of the precious yellow!
the SDC has been officially "blooded" with some Tassie gold. Only a "picker" at 0.22g, but it sang sweetly :)
more to follow now...
yay!
Drystone

drystone said:
Hi guys,
enjoy the forum and happy to report after many pieces of lead shot, finally some of the precious yellow!
the SDC has been officially "blooded" with some Tassie gold. Only a "picker" at 0.22g, but it sang sweetly :)
more to follow now...
yay!
Drystone
Sorry mate, if there's no photos then it didn't happen :D

Well done!!!
Cheers

Went to a spot on the weekend. Lent my sdc to a mate to use and after a lot of digging and I knew he was getting disheartened he scored a 3.4 grammer, feeling a bit guilty he asked me how we were going to split it in half. I said, hey you found it you keep it. I didn't find much, to borrow a phrase....Just rusty gold. Just the luck of the draw.

1500898195_2017-07-24_21.38.51.jpg

Funny thing is guys, he rang me after he got home and said "I had a good look at that piece and its been cut in half or off a larger piece " So there's more there somewhere :)
It was in an area that had large green stone stones that sets the detectors off. Large as in around a meter each, weird.

1500939167_img_1523.jpg
Its great to share people's finds with the SDC..This photo shows a little spot found in the west this year..I was swinging the 2300 and found 3 pieces in this little wash I just marked them and got the 4500 out..Found another 9 targets with the 4500 which I didn't pick up with the 2300..Returned to the 2300 to dig them up..The 2300 is cranked up to 6,which is where I usually run it..But could not hear the targets found with the GPX..Had to boot scrape 1to2 inches to hear them..A lot of members run 2 machines..each has its purpose..

Baldy said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5602/1500939167_img_1523.jpgIts great to share people's finds with the SDC..This photo shows a little spot found in the west this year..I was swinging the 2300 and found 3 pieces in this little wash I just marked them and got the 4500 out..Found another 9 targets with the 4500 which I didn't pick up with the 2300..Returned to the 2300 to dig them up..The 2300 is cranked up to 6,which is where I usually run it..But could not hear the targets found with the GPX..Had to boot scrape 1to2 inches to hear them..A lot of members run 2 machines..each has its purpose..
:lol: :lol: The 2300 is cranked up to 6 :lol: :lol:
SDC only goes up tp 5 :lol: :lol:

Latest posts