Sapphire Rubyvale area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Posted not long ago about the Sapphire Rubyvale area but can't remember where - just got here after a break of 5 years - the Sapphire area doesn't look much different from last time although the Blue Gem C/P seems pretty full. Today is look around day then I will start at Glen Alva and move around to Reward and probably the Willows if I am not having much luck.
BTW there appears to be a gem show/sale (small scale) by the local Lapidary Club on Sat 18th June - $5.00 admission with light lunch so might have a look there.

More to come as I start moving dirt - occurred to me the last times I was here - I cheerfully move more dirt here in a short time than I am forced to move in my garden at home in a long time.

Posted not long ago about the Sapphire Rubyvale area but can't remember where - just got here after a break of 5 years - the Sapphire area doesn't look much different from last time

It actually doesn't look all that much different to the first time I went there nearly 40 years ago - things change slowly there :) Though they do have mobile coverage in certain spots now.

Hope you do well Moth. We never found much at Glenalva (and the ground is like concrete) but other people have. Interesting stones from there, never seen a blue. All the ones we found were green and some were a very attractive, almost aqua shade.

Cheers

Thanks Lefty
Put a day in at Glenalva but didn't enjoy it - found the wash was barely below the surface but the ironstone was sparse and my wash tub became clogged with mud very quickly (took 80 litres of water with me and used it all). When I inspected my sieves there was very little clean ironstone amongst the dirt coloured and dull other stones so sifting though was difficult and I didn't trouble the scorer (think with the shallow wash specking there would be good after heavy rain).

Heading back to Reward tomorrow - I like the wash there, particularly when finding rounded stones, indicative of old creek beds, down about 50 - 75cm - even if not finding stones it keeps the enthusiasm level up. Might move onto the Willows in a couple of weeks and would be interested in the thoughts of others who have worked there.

We found a second wash at Glenalva, it was much more interesting looking stuff, jam packed full of rounded yellow and red ironstones, waterworn quartzes and numerous billies. It looked just like the wash at our old claim at Russian gully, which was pretty productive overall. But despite the similar look, we got nothing out of it but a couple of tiny zircons. Not that we moved all that much of it.

But things are like that. My mate had a machinery lease beside Reward. He told me of a time when he and his mining partners unearthed a patch of the most promising looking wash, absolutely chock-full of all the indicators, huge billies etc. They put about 20 cubic metres through the machines - nothing. Nothing except a handful of small bombs. You never know for sure.

You heading over to the Washpool/Jurassic Park for a dig?

About halfway between Jurassic and Washpool - got stuck into an area with good clean wash down to about 50 - 75 cm plenty of billies, ironstone and rounded quartz for one small parti - good digging though so I think I will concentrate there, probably won't trouble the scorer too much but it is an enjoyable area to dig.

Lefty
Does the name "Snow" ring a bell?
Real name John Crispin.
Cheers, Mike

I have mentally pegged out the area I am going to sift, once finished I plan on going a few inches through the base clay, I might be mistaken, and will bow to you who are more experienced, but my thoughts are that due to their specific gravity sapphires will continually sink to the lower levels thus may be more likely be trapped in the clay rather than on top of it. Appreciate any thoughts on how to separate the wash from the clay as it seems to stick together in spite of washing.

boobook said:
Lefty
Does the name "Snow" ring a bell?
Real name John Crispin.
Cheers, Mike

Hmm, I think so Mike. I've known a few people from there over the years - Col Frewin, Mark Thomson - but all have moved on now. All except old Inky who is being cared for by friends over at Norman Hill.

Moth said:
I have mentally pegged out the area I am going to sift, once finished I plan on going a few inches through the base clay, I might be mistaken, and will bow to you who are more experienced, but my thoughts are that due to their specific gravity sapphires will continually sink to the lower levels thus may be more likely be trapped in the clay rather than on top of it. Appreciate any thoughts on how to separate the wash from the clay as it seems to stick together in spite of washing.

The old miners up the track from us at Russian Gully when I was a kid said the same - always take the first couple of inches of the clay floor because the stones will sink into it, being of a high SG.

We had very clayey wash at Russian Gully, I remember dad used to dig a heap out and spread it on a tarp overnight. It would become a bit more friable after exposure to air. We often still had to let a sieve full sit in the drum of water for 10 minutes or longer to really melt that clay. I remember the same old miner from up the track, an old Italian bloke named Carlo Fasci - Carlo passed away a number of years ago out there - showing me how to go through it properly. "Always break up the clay lumps" he said. He broke up the lumps in my sieve and out popped a star sapphire about 15 carats. It turned out to be no good but I would have just thrown it out had it been a good one.

Thanks Lefty - started pulling up clay and sitting it in a tub of dirty water from previous washing, agitated it a bit and washed most of the clay off, haven't got any stones yet but amazing the amount of gravel contained within the clay. Didn't bring a crowbar with me and the pick is pretty useless moving the clay - will head for the Sat/Sun Markets at Rubyvale and Sapphire this weekend in the hope of getting a cheap crowbar I can use and donate to someone else when leaving (no room and too heavy to cart around in the Van).

G'day Lefty.
Re: Snow.
We met Snow (Crispin) in 1988 when we went up to the Rubyvale/Sapphire gem fields for a look see. Had plenty of Vic./NSW fossicking bush camp experience but were real new chums on your dry fields.
Set up a rough camp at Washpool, very few people about and what there were seemed to prefer the Rubyvale van park to bush camping.

We noticed an old Toyota wagon going back and forth each day and one afternoon I was getting water out of the creek just above the crossing and met the old bloke with the wagon. Shock of white hair, craggy features, busted up walking gear needing 2 alloy crutches to get along. Fairly terse sort of G'day, didn't want to make much conversation other than that "they don't trust NSW rego's around here much"

About a week later we had not found a colour so thought I would go for a walk and see if I could maybe get a bit of info from this bloke.
I think the fact we had been camped there and persevering must have softened his attitude, I found him sitting down on the ground picking into what looked like a narrow trench. He got up and was happy to have a yarn, told me he had been very busted up hip and legs but the repair job was worse than useless and he was on crutches for the rest of his life.

I could see that we were on the wrong track with gear, he had an inclined sieve which he threw the wash onto, separating it into a concentrate which he sieved in his Willoughby. A real production line, my thought were going into gear real fast.
Early next morning his truck turned into our track and with some difficulty Snow clambered out. Next thing he was hauling gear off the roof rack.....inclined sieve, Willoughby and water drum....all the gear to turn us into Sapphire miners. Just drop it back when you are leaving, what could a bloke say.
But the best was yet to come.
Over a cuppa and fruit cake he told us how, over the years the fossicking areas had been "marauded", the whole areas scraped with bucket loaders with the wash carted away, processed through a wet plant and the tailings brought back, dumped and spread.
It was this dumped material that we were so carefully sieving for nothing!

The secret, he confided, was the fact that the scrapers took the surface wash but missed the hundreds of small drainage gutters that ran throughout the fields. This is what he worked, prospecting out a gutter no more that 2ft. wide, scraping it out to bedrock and pulling some beautiful stone.
On that first trip we spent 3 months under Snows tuition, but we were dead set lucky. He was a cranky old bugger and any one who tormented or got him offside then lookout.

We returned to Washpool and Graves Hill with great success every winter until 1996 when, on Snows advice, we partnered up in an opal mining show near Eromanga. But we kept in touch, every Christmas a long letter, mainly how things were going downhill, the big miners like Great Northern buggering it for everyone etc. etc.

On a trip back, we last saw Snow in 2003, I think he was suffering from Diabetes and 2007(?) received a letter from his sister to say he had been in Brisbane where both legs were amputated and he had subsequently passed away.

His ashes were spread on the gem fields, a place he truly loved.
Mike

On a trip back, we last saw Snow in 2003, I think he was suffering from Diabetes and 2007(?) received a letter from his sister to say he had been in Brisbane where both legs were amputated and he had subsequently passed away.

Poor old bugger, what a rough trot :( I'm still not 100% sure I knew him but the name seems to ring a bell so it's possible that dad knew him. Dad is a bit like that nowdays, still gets around but his health is shot and he just can't dig anymore. Still usually accompanies me though, I do the digging and he'll potter around going through a few small sieves full of wash, then goes and sits back in his camp chair for a while, gets up after a while and has another go etc. He'll be a fossicker until they put him in a box, as will I.

Old Snow wasn't wrong about the stones having collected in drainage gutters. I remember one time at Russian gully when we came across a little narrow gutter in the floor. It probably wasn't more than a foot wide and about 10 inches deep at most. It must have been in the perfect spot at some ancient time to have collected al the heavies in the stream bed washing over it - as the stones began to pop out, dad put aside the jackhammer and went to a miners pick and then to a little hand pick, scraping away at this little gutter. Stone after stone just kept popping out, we got some absolutely beautiful stones out of that little pocket. I think at turned out to only have been about 5 or 6 feet long from memory but it was just chokkas with beautiful sapphires and some nice zircons as well!

Those old prospectors are a great treasure, worth their weight in gold and gems!

Bugger!! only found a slim sgts strip and clear zircon, both worth nothing. On the plus side though a bloke came to set up my Sat TV, turns out he is from my home town and we got invited to his place for dinner the next night, then he turned up with a crowbar for me to use. I know there is the risk, if I do find any colour, I might split them with the crowbar (have to be a 1 in 1 mill chance at the moment) but it certainly is making the digging easier. Great story Boobook - must be a lot out there like him.

Moth said:
Bugger!! only found a slim sgts strip and clear zircon, both worth nothing. On the plus side though a bloke came to set up my Sat TV, turns out he is from my home town and we got invited to his place for dinner the next night, then he turned up with a crowbar for me to use. I know there is the risk, if I do find any colour, I might split them with the crowbar (have to be a 1 in 1 mill chance at the moment) but it certainly is making the digging easier. Great story Boobook - must be a lot out there like him.

As we say - the stones are there but there can be a bloody lot of dirt in between them!

I remember dad splitting a really nice one with the pick - ended up getting about 3 decent cutters out of the pieces but the original rough would have cut a single fantastic stone before the pick hit it :/

Whilst on the subject of Rubyvale, I wonder does anyone remember the stone named "Autumn Glory"?

This was allegedly found at Washpool by one of 3 blokes digging a gutter out.
We saw the stone both in the rough, then a couple or three years later after it was cut in Sydney? to a round 32crt. brilliant.
And "brilliant" being barely the word to describe it, colour of the setting sun and full of fire.

A lot of story attached to that one. It was featured in the metro papers, I may still have some cuttings somewhere.
Mike

autumn_glory.jpg

The Autumn Glory

Found at the Washpool in 1993 was originally 103.5cts. This superb oval brilliant yellow to orange sapphire has a cut weight of 30.25 carats. It has been conservatively valued at $300,000. "The Autumn Glory" disappeared when recently sent to the USA. It has still not been recovered, but investigations are continuing.

Isn't she absolutely stunning!?

I dug my bum off at the Washpool but never found anything remotely like that. Though Col Frewin's brother found a 90 carat green not far up the track from where I was digging. And Col himself showed me the "Dam Lucky Stone". He said to me "if you've got a spare $150 000 you can have this". What a superb stone!! 107 carats, full alexandrite - light green in one direction, orange in the other and pink in artificial light.

I did not have a spare $150 000 :)

The CQ gemfields have certainly produced some world-class sapphires. The huge Centenary stone, The Black Star of Queensland, The Tomahawk Tiger......I remember the Tomahawk Tiger being on display in the Rubyvale gem gallery when I was a kid.

This photo of the Tomahawk Tiger doesn't do it justice, I remember the colours being much more vibrant.

Ttiger.jpg

I remember a pair of European miners up the track from us - one was Italian, the other Romanian - found a superb green on Easter Sunday which the dubbed "The Easter Egg". I can remember seeing it but I don't remember how big exactly. No idea what happened to it, both men have since passed away.

Latest posts