Another Sydney Boy

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Am a middle aged dude with pseudo geek tendencies who has caught the gold bug through some gold mining stocks.

Am based in Sydney and have an interest in both gold prospecting (NSW Goldfields) as well as coin/trasure hunting. Other than researching stuff I need to buy a metal detector and have come up with a wishlist of sorts. It is hard to choose so need some objective feedback.

Not too pricey

- Garrett AT Pro (cheap & good)
- Fisher F75 (looks great all round)
- Minelab X-Terra 705 (everyone loves Minelab!)
- Nokta Fors Gold Metal Detector (looks like the great value - made in the Middle East)
- Whites MXT

Breaking the bank a bit

- White's TDI SL w/12 (pulse detector)
- XP Deus WS5 Full Sized Wireless Headphones (v light, high performance, new tech but doesnt take batteries/needs to be recharged. pretty expensive)

Anyone provide their experiences of any of the above? Is PI worse for an all round machine?

Thanks

Tubs

Hi mate welcome to the mad house :) :) :)
out of your list i can only vouch for the X terra 705 :Y: :Y:
i have the duel pack although it took me a while to work out the settings watching a lot of you tube (not the sharpest knife in the draw sometimes) once i worked them out i love it
:) :)

Awesome mate thanks, u dont need a sharp knife if you have an FN FAL :D

I need to read up on coils a bit more me thinks...

The At pro is a good solid and reliable detector. I used one for 3 years before getting an XP Deus. You only need to charge the batteries after 3 or 4 days detecting. About the same as you would change batteries in the other machines. The seamless wireless and free upgrades etc make it worth the money.

Welcome from me as well Tubsy. Don't spend too much for a start the Aldi mine detector come up for sale at various times-good relic hunter and surprisingly good for the money.
Jaros ]:D

The question is an age old one, to help others narrow down what % of time do you think you'd spend on both types of detecting? I think a more honest review of the detectors would be forthcoming.

Also do you intend to spend any time on the beach looking for coins?

Latest posts