High banker pump size and water feed

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty22

Rusty
Reaction score
Hey people I'm new to high banking and have just built a 10^^ X 4^ and will be running a dream mat and I'm a bit confused on pump size and outlet, and if to run single spray across the center or a direct jet? I would appreciate any information.

Hi Rusty,
How about a photo of your banker. ?
Picture tells a thousand words. :Y:

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t11y1p-Ef1k[/video]

This isn't a bad spray bar setup.

I have since changed the tray to have mostly punch plate and the last 15cm grizzly bars.

That video is running a 3700gal hr 12v pump, but it's fed with 14v, as 3700 just isn't enough to run the dream matt.
Most people run a 1.5 inch 3hp 4 stroke pump.
I got this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-5-Inch...234115?hash=item3f437d7143:g:qI4AAOSw2XFUln5z

Don't be tempted to buy a bigger one as they are too hard to carry in the field, unless you want to pump high up a hill and need the extra power.

And don't make fun of my sailboat PJ's :D

hey Rusty22,

What you need in pump size is all about litres per hour not HP, your average 2-4HP engine in Australia sadly only put out about 12,000 litres maximum per hour which really is bugger all but is enough to run a 10 inch dream mat just don't expect loads of jet pressure at your spray bars running it in a highbanker with that flow.
The honda wx15 is the best all rounder even the wx15t if you can find one it has a larger pump housing.
I dont think there is any problem with using a large pump i did for the last 5 years my pump is 36kgs and i had a 5.5hp 2 inch pump that was 22kg its really not that big of a deal and if you have trouble with a big pump you can use a barrow or a trolley.

when you get away form the small more complex engines/lighter engines you get into cheaper territory and can get a 24,000 liters per hour pump for under $300 delivered just about anywhere in Australia.

theres a heap of threads about this already you should be able to find some good examples in here but a photo of what you've built would make it real easy for us to make recommendations mate

mate it may be my eyes but i struggled to get a good look at the water over the mat, 3700 gph bilge is 14,000 litres that's bang on for what you want and you a have great pressure there so my guess you're probably getting around 11,000 litres per hour through those holes. its a bloody great boiler you have nice work/.

Thanks guys so much to think about. Im realy stinging to take it for a run and will be running of a mate's 5.5 hp and thinking of running off the 25mm outlet direct feed with no spray bar? I will try to up load a couple of photos soon. Marksman im in Wollongong.

Ok i do have a pump here 2stroke that is just laying around i am using it while the turtle is in hospital but when he gets out i will be going back to my other one so it will be up for grabs if you want it
Its the one i started out with works well but makes a lot of noise being a 2 stroke
About 120 lt min if my memory still works
when you get up to 10 posts send me a pm

1497020995_20170610_003340.jpg
I still have a little bit of work to go but hear it is. Thanks marksman what do you want for it and the noise i can handle just as I'm out ther. And this might be a dumb question but how do I know when i have ten posts...

Want nothing for it just pick it up when i get mine back
At the bottom of your avatar there is a number count you are on 4 at the moment just above the email button
It does not matter where you put a post it will increase as you post

Occasional_panner said:
[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t11y1p-Ef1k[/video]

This isn't a bad spray bar setup.

I have since changed the tray to have mostly punch plate and the last 15cm grizzly bars.

That video is running a 3700gal hr 12v pump, but it's fed with 14v, as 3700 just isn't enough to run the dream matt.
Most people run a 1.5 inch 3hp 4 stroke pump.
I got this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-5-Inch...234115?hash=item3f437d7143:g:qI4AAOSw2XFUln5z

Don't be tempted to buy a bigger one as they are too hard to carry in the field, unless you want to pump high up a hill and need the extra power.

And don't make fun of my sailboat PJ's :D
thats nice and quiet, i like it mate ey

I do like the set up works great. I'm considering on running roughly the same set up as the gold rat with cuts and not holes it has good pressure and plenty of flow if I run at seven degrees. And now you have me thinking about punch plate i have made 1/2^^ gaped grizzlies with every second bar not completely fixed allowing for any jams.

It will depend on where you run it mate.
Somewhere like Beechworth it has only flour gold, so punch plate is ideal.
However somewhere that has small nuggets would be better with grizzly bars.
What I have done is set it up mainly with punch plate and 15cm of grizzly bars at the end, BUT it can be slid up and down so I can still have it completely punch plate if I want it that way or a combination of both.
It's mounted on rails and slides under the hopper.

Another thing you could do is have a hinged gate that holds the material in the hopper, when you are happy with how it's been washed lift the gate up and let it drop out.
That would be good for clay areas.
Probably would suit your hopper really well as it's so deep.

BTW those spray bars have backward facing slots cut in them and as per gold rat does with the black poly pipe I give the slots a gentle go over with a blowtorch, that opens them up a tad and gives a rounded surface that is probably less inclined to clog up.
As you can see from the leaks in mine I just put it together with screws so it can be pulled apart for cleaning. A couple of turns of duct tape on the male ends before assembly stops most leaks with a tight fit (not done in that vid).

My back spray bar with the 3 jets now sits a bit higher too to allow for a shovel to go in and scrape out material.
I'll take another pic tonight.

Latest posts