SDC2300 performance consistency

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I've had success with noise cancel on the ground too.
Yeah agreed, follow the rules... then make up a few of your own :D

Gully I'm going to be knocked for my comment because it's happened before but it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it :)

The SDC is like a point & shoot camera compared to a camera with regular manual settings. I don't know how old you are,you might not remember those. You have a few basic settings but it's mostly automatic so at the end of the day it does what it wants to. It will adjust to the conditions at the time so yes its performance varies greatly from day to day or during the day and even if the settings aren't ideal there's little you can do about it.

As mentioned earlier the wind and EMI will drive you mad at times but at least you can hear these and recognize a problem. With the automatic adjustmennts the detector does on its own you really never know what's going on down there. Sometimes this detector can find targets quite deep but on the next occasion it can't see beyond the surface.

I rarely use the SDC because Mrs M is swinging it but with either detector i found it best to always turn it on with the coil flat on the ground keeping it still until the start up is complete.

Phil

Good to get everyone's results guess it shows how the machine reacts in different circumstances . In my favourite area there is severe EMI coming from overhead power lines so my start up is always the same , face EMI with detector at the hip .noise cancel x2 turn 180 deg in direction of detecting coil on ground and a few slow sweeps with GB button held in . Some days have to run on 3 some mornings on 5 ! Agree with the many comments it just seems to " see " better on some days than others.

Edit : one thing I have worked out is that my best results are with the coil flat and scraping the ground and a rake is your best friend.

isolation said:
I know I'm gonna get laughed at for this, but I rarely use noise cancel or ground balance on start up anymore. My start up procedure is; coil on the ground slowly swinging left to right etc, then turn the machine on as you keep swinging. Keep swinging until it's finished it's start up and then straight into detecting.

I don't know why but my machine seems to like it.

OK, commence laughing :D

Not laughing mate. Seen the results.
After you told me that i do it all the time as well now.
neil

NeilM said:
Not laughing mate. Seen the results.
After you told me that i do it all the time as well now.
neil

Crazy likes company, I don't feel so alone now :D :Y:

Thanks for all the help, agree with Phil it does seem to do what :party: it wants being auto. Will be trying all the different suggestions, especially isolations start up

G'day Gully
I was taught that when you detect with the SDC 2300, the coil should be scrapping on the ground thats why they have a replaceable skid plate, there also is a small aftermarket knuckle protector that is made for the SDC , the rest of the settings , it was suggested to run the threshold all the way up, the coil operation was described as a an electronic cone penetrating into the ground , 200 mm at ground level and narrows with depth, yes they are sensitive to all sort of interference so I suppose its matter of learning the signals learn how to pin point your target , practice and practice , left to right and font to back using the front edge , try all those suggestions the others post , my teacher could find small nuggets the size of a rice grain just by understanding the signal response I practiced and practiced never give up and have a nice collection of number 4 shot lead LOL

Hi guys,

Interesting topic.

My theory is that if once you have started up and been going for some time and the SDC starts to warble a bit and you move away and it stops, then the "patch" that you were swinging over my well be highly mineralised and or contain gold that the detector is struggling to see.
Last week i thought I had a weak signal and the machine started to warble, Paul 13 was with me so I asked him to check with the Zed and he could hear nothing.

As I have had this happen several times in the past, good red clay etc,etc I went to the car, got my bucket and scraped up a few handfulls of dirt to pan off at home, just to test the theory.

While not yet fully convinced the photo is the result. Maybe luck or maybe next time it happens, if I am near the car, I might put it to the test again.

Not a very big reward for the effort, but gold is gold after all and it still gives you a thrill to see a speck in the pan.
1497319616_img_4921-2.jpg

Cheers
Bob

This post is incredible. I was out yesterday and the SDC was playing up a treat, so i'm guessing the howling wind in the GT was the root cause, not that i'd stumbled upon the big one :Y: