To introduce myself...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I and family have been fossickers since 1972ish, starting with sapphires in the Anakie, Qld, area, and then after migrating north when I was in high school, we have frequented the topaz, aquamarine, sapphire, quartz fields at Mt Gibson and Mt Surprise etc.
Hubby and I are having a week in Coffs Harbour mid-next month and plan to spend a few days at Inverell and Glen Innes. I'm looking for recommendations of places to stay and places to fossick where we can hire gear, as we cannot bring our own. Anyone help?

Hi CaylieCat,

Inverell area has a couple of saphire places, 7 Oaks and Saphire Blue I think they are called. Just do a search with the magnifying glass at the top with some words like Inverell and saphire and you should get some good info.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

Doug

Thanks, Doug. Had already found those spots on google, just not knowing what happens in winter in these cold places :). Went to Tassie 2 years back to see the sights, in low season (August), because that was when we could get away. Marvelous snow, dramatic winter scenery, but majority of the good tourist attractions were closed for the winter which was quite disappointing. Not keen to repeat that mistake...

Well, gearing up to go south and apparently it is going to be wet and cold- not the sort of weather you would choose for a badly needed holiday. The challenge will be fitting in respectable clothes required for sightseeing, and the old faithfuls required for prospecting sapphires- not to mention a little shovel, sieve and camera to record the action. Now we need wet-weather gear also!

Our son and partner are heading up to Innot Hot Springs this weekend, as she has just completed her Uni degree and starts a new job next week. What better way to unwind than to head up Mt Gibson and scratch up some topaz? Then you return to camp, grab a beer and soak in the hot springs pools until the aching muscles are soothed and the body longs for a good night's sleep!

We once camped at a place near Inverell which was an old nudist camp had great accomodation and we found some nice sapphire..lots of wildlife, even wild deer..Redfin in the river..can't remember the name of the place..but the tourists information office told us about it..Cheers..

CaylieCat said:
Our son and partner are heading up to Innot Hot Springs this weekend, as she has just completed her Uni degree and starts a new job next week. What better way to unwind than to head up Mt Gibson and scratch up some topaz? Then you return to camp, grab a beer and soak in the hot springs pools until the aching muscles are soothed and the body longs for a good night's sleep!

Hot springs - aahhhhh. I knew there was something I was missing here in Western Australia! And with a beer? Stop it, just stop it, OK. :lol:

We've just returned from our sojourn down south. Spent 6 nights at Coffs Harbour (a gift from a friend), and found it was 2 nights too many- not much to do in the area, miserable weather and lots of the attractions we wanted to visit were closed.
3 nights at Glen Innis, beautiful cold weather and lots to see and do. Spent one day at 3 Waters fossicking farm where we scratched in the creek all day without a single stone to show for it. The camping and fossicking areas were really peaceful and attractive (didn't see a soul all day), and owner, Steve, is a real character.
Second day we traveled to Inverell and fronted up to Billabong Blue fossicking farm. This is set up really well, they supply all gear required and they even dig out the wash for you. Every pan had at least 4 sapphires in it and we had the best fun of our whole holiday! We came away with dozens of sapphires and zircon- a couple of which might be cutters.
Overall a great day and we are planning to go back next year, but drive down with our camper and stay for a week or two.
Each of these came from single bucketfuls of wash- very entertaining!
1498617522_img_0664.jpg

Having had a chance to closely inspect our dozens of Inverell sapphires, we discovered that at least one of them should be cuttable- a healthy 15.4ct rough. It is royal blue when view along the crystal (top to bottom), and warm green when viewed side to side. I'm hoping to find a local gemcutter who will make the most of the stone, and can't wait to see how it turns out!
We are heading a couple of hours south/west (I think), to spend the Cairns Show long weekend hunting sapphire at Lava Plains, topaz, aquamarine and smoky quartz at O'Brien's Ck (Mt Surprise) and maybe Mt Gibson (Innot Hot Springs). There is a new camping area called Pinnarendi Station Stay located just north of the 40-mile Scrub that we will be using as base camp, so will report on it when we return.

We had planned to do a couple of days fossicking for sapphire at Lava Plains over the long weekend, and as there is no camping permitted on Lava Plains station nowadays, we thought we would give Pinnarendi Station Stay and Cafe a go. I contacted Nadine on Facebook to book our sites, and as we were a party of 7 or 8 vehicles who wanted to camp together, she was very obliging in giving us the larger sites so we could all fit comfortably. The camping areas are so new that they were running cables for power and water the day we arrived, with trenches and conduits having to be negotiated with care. There is a new amenities block that was yet not operational, but we all managed to share the one toilet/shower room with all the other campers/caravanners -a surprising number for a very new enterprise. The cafe offers a home-style hot meal every night if you book it in the morning, and Saturday night is wood-fired sourdough pizzas- amazing gourmet varieties, all you can eat for $18, and you can be sure some of the young men in our party got their money's worth! Altogether, I would highly recommend Pinnarendi and we will certainly stay there again.

So, back to sapphires. We made the 45min drive towards Greenvale on the first and third days of our trip. There is a parking area with a locked gate to stop vehicular access, although the road is wide and well maintained (albeit very rocky and uneven to walk on), and leads through the permitted fossicking area to privately-owned mining leases. The parking area has a turnstile that gives you enough room to squeeze yourself and a wheelbarrow through, and from there it is a 15-20 minute walk to the fossicking area of Whyandotte Creek. The creek is very seasonal and was dry to look at, but damp a few centimetres below the surface. The soil is clay and sticky when damp, actually quite hard going to get enough wash to fill a sieve.

I am an avid 'specker' myself, and find that I pick up as much colour as the die-hard dig and sieve brigade, which makes me a bit unpopular at times. It appears that the creek has been commercially mined in places at various times, which means that finding the original gem-bearing wash is almost impossible, and the majority of the good stones are gone. Overall, we had an enjoyable time, and each found a handful of predominantly blue chips and bigger flawed bits, but only one stone, found by my son-in-law, is a possible cutter. It is amazing how the trip walking back to the cars, although downhill, always seems much more tedious than the one going in!

The middle day of our weekend was spent looking for topaz and aquamarine at O'Brien's Ck, which is more than an hour's drive from Pinnarendi, and definitely requires a capable 4WD vehicle to reach the best gem areas. To be truly successful at O'Brien's Ck, you need to have a local hunter show you around and point out the 'secret' spots, as the whole field- which is quite a large area- has been sporadically mined for tin and aquamarine in the past and bears evidence of being well picked over by fossickers since it was opened as a permitted area. The long drive to and from O'Brien's from Pinnarendi meant we had limited fossicking time, we found nothing but some lovely smoky quartz crystals, and we all agreed we wouldn't bother to do it again. O'Brien's Ck has a lovely camping area on the banks of Elisabeth Ck at the entrance to the fossicking area, so it makes much more sense to stay there if you are wanting topaz. There have been some very impressive aquamarine crystals, both gem-quality and specimens taken from this field in the recent past, so it is worth the effort with the possibility of reward!

Latest posts