Goldtargets 2017 adventures

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1508562641_img_20171021_160938.jpg

Solid start to a new Park... $12 and the first gold ring for a while....made to fit tiny hands, can barely get it on my pinky.

1508576539_img_20171021_200059.jpg

Final tally.

After park 1 ran dry I went back to an old haunt that has treated me kindly in the past. The recent rain dump did the trick....it's a very wet place in winter and very dry so the chances to hit it are limited. I thought I got most of the high tones out but pulled out a few more that were on the iffy side, hence the keys. The kids playground gave a few silvers....surprised
as I know at least two others that go there regularly. Again it was screw top city today on both sites but you only got to dig them once I guess. All decimals today.

As always it felt more than the final photo finish, and despite the hallmark and TID I'm not entirely convinced of the rings authenticity...partly due to tarnishing and party the stragedy stone set in it..any way I'll submit it in the morning to the lost and found custodians and test it when it comes back. It feels heavy enough, maybe I'll see how it polishes up. It's a pretty little ring and shouldn't have any trouble rehousing it after its done it's time and had a tidy up.

Before I forget if the member shane_vor with the at max is reading I can tell you I dug 76 screw tops, a piece of lead, 2 keys, 2 spent brass shells and the bottom of a texta chasing the gold coins.

I dug around 40+ odd ring pulls and maybe a dozen bits of foil as well as (oddly) a smallish pice of spent lead shot looking for the ring.

Not to mention all the bottle caps I cleared and the junk from aly to steel whenever I had a 60+ TID flash through that was being masked. About 3 pockets full give or take....but that was my lot today. I won't bore you with my junk again but that's not uncommon when I'm out for a few hours digging up the treasures. Got to dig it to collect it.

Good digs to you all. Cheers GT.

9k gold will tarnish if it's been in the ground a long time, like this one.

1508620743_20160406_160220.jpg

After a quick clean with some metal polish.

Yours should clean up pretty well if it is gold. It's probably been in the ground a very long time so not much chance of someone claiming it.

1508620773_20160407_100334.jpg

The very first thought that popped into my head was - weight :D

Nice find :party:

Haven't been able to find my scales...which is highly irregular due to the fact despite the chaos I have in my world (paperwork for starters) my gold/detecting things are all in order and have their place...but after a thorough examination I can't see it being anything but gold, the custom clasp for the stone looks worked as I would expect with some alloys at the meeting point. The fine edge I gave a very light emery to looks very much as I would expect

What metal polish would you recommend Heatho...I and I'm sure others would be greatful to know.

OldGT said:
Before I forget if the member shane_vor with the at max is reading I can tell you I dug 76 screw tops, a piece of lead, 2 keys, 2 spent brass shells and the bottom of a texta chasing the gold coins.

Thanks GT, for a while there I thought I was the only one digging up rubbish!!! :D

I use a polish called "Metal Magic", it's for most types of metal, I'm sure there are others though, I wonder if the ol brasso would work too.

If you find your scales then you could do a simple SG test, that would confirm gold for sure if there are no fineness maks on the ring.

Cheers Heatho...will search some out.

Not sure where to have a swing today, North, south, east or west, but there's a lost chain from Friday about 20 mins drive offering a $200 reward. The trouble is it could be all day swinging for nothing....This hobby reminds me of fishing, it's always tough to decide where to go.

Might head into the city and dedicate the day, best chance for goldies and try a beach or two if it gets slow. Have a couple of places old and newer on the waydown/way back I've been keen to get in. Mrs GT is about to leave for work so should get a few hours in.

Opener for the week I am assuming :lol:

$17.80 x 5 = Friday = Great week :party:

Good start :)

Latest posts