Recent finds with X-Terra

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got my dad down on holidays so we've been out with the X-Terra's to some old sites on a friends property. Had some interesting finds so thought I'd share them.

It's funny that I'd never found an old dog rego tag before and in the space of a week I found 2 pre-1900 ones at different sites.

1495836176_1889_-_1890-optimized.jpg

1495836256_1894_dog_tag-optimized.jpg

An 1849 English penny that has seen better days unfortunately.

1495836385_1849_penny-optimized.jpg

1495836408_1849_penny_back-optimized.jpg

Found these old buttons from the 'Monster Clothing Palace' on King William St, Adelaide. As far as I can tell it went out of business around 1903. If you google the name you can find an old photo of the store from the state library of SA.

1495836601_monster_buttons-optimized.jpg

1495836619_monster_button_back-optimized.jpg

Got a ton of other stuff but I'll keep this post short.

Some very nice finds there mate..You should do well there in the Future..X2 What RH said. :Y: :lol:

Welcome aboard young fella, nice finds, how'd ya's do on the coin side of things ?

Yesterday we went to check out an old camp site that was used for school camps up until 15 years ago or so. Buildings all torn down now and it's covered in broken glass and trash but we got a nice haul of coins in a few hours. We hardly covered 20% of the place so plenty of ground to cover yet.

1495839960_coins_at_camp-optimized.jpg

Couple other old coins I picked up recently but fairly common and not great condition.
1872 Penny.
1495840263_1872_penny-optimized.jpg

1880 Threepence found with the 1849 penny from 1st post.
1495840340_1880_threepence-optimized.jpg

Go the old camp grounds!! What setting on the xterra were you using?

Are you in Adelaide? If you need help just ask mate :Y:

Thx guys. Yeh I'm south of Adelaide. I'm using the standard 7.5khz coil and was switching between AM and blanking out the iron. Had trouble with target separation on the small coins like the 1 cent pieces. My dad was using a 10" 7.5khz DD coil and running iron discrimination, he was picking up more coins then myself but then we were in different areas.
I want to buy a new coil for trashy areas with better separation and a new one for doing the beaches that covers more ground, so any suggestions would be helpful. I have been reading the net/forums and am slowly getting an idea of what I need.

Very nice Vickky coins and doggy tags, the tags especially are quite collectable Guessing you are in SA going by the dog tags - your site is offering very similar finds to what I get at Victorian sites down here in the south east. ;)

ktmman said:
Great looking britts considering their age, hope there are some old silvers out there for you as well.

Silvers have been few and far between unfortunately, picked up a very worn 1910 shilling at an old hunting ground of mine awhile ago. I'm hoping this farmhouse gives up a nice one sooner or later.

Latest posts