1st Time Out

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geeza73

dave
Reaction score
1495619899_img_2342.jpg

Went out with my SDC2300 for the first time into the triangle. Above are my finds for the day.

No gold but it was good to get out in the bush.

I was really hoping that the lead shot was gold, I knew the other items were junk.

Hopefully I will have more luck next time.

Cheers Dave

G'day Geeza73
Nice work mate!!!
Great range of targets there :Y: , just keep at it the SDC is a fantastic machine :Y: :Y:
The more time in the field the greater your chances are ;)
Best of luck mate!!

For sure you will find some gold soon..
and that's the problem of the sdc because you will find gold often you will want to upgrade for a Gpx or Zed..
Good job ]:D minelab ]:D

Hi Geeza,

All above comments so true. Keep at it - it will come.
The missus and I started with the SDC - had it paid off within the first 12 mths with the gold finds.
Awesome simple unit to use.
What settings are you using???

Just remember - low and slow is the go!!!

Hey fever

Settings - I set it at three, and used the speaker. - turned it up about half way. I have got headphones but not knowing the area I wanted to have my eyes and ears on alert in my new surroundings.

My mistake being a newbie was probably not to grid out areas, I sorta rushed here and there......I will get more patient with practice.

Hi Geeza,

Patience is definitely the key. I tend to be a bit methodical in my approach. I would rather do 400 metres in a day properly than 4 km in a rushed way. I tend to use setting 4 or 5 these days and my unit runs fairly quiet. My mate bought his at the same time and can't get his above 3. Not sure why that is. Spent many hours with him and even swapped machines to try to quiet it down. He still finds gold though.
As mentioned previously, if you're getting pellets you're going to find gold. Just need to walk over it.
Keep at it, low and slow. It will come. :Y: :Y:

1496142013_img_2343.jpg

Went out again on Monday. Similar results just more of them.
Looks like the weather will be clear but crisp over the next few days, so keen to head out again.

Cheers Dave

By the looks of it you'll definitely get the gold when you walk over it. You're doing well.

A potential positive from all this is that you're probably in an area that has not been totally flogged (although no area really ever is) ... had I been there previously there'd be no shot to find, keep at it there has to be a little nugget out there with your name on it.
Assume you're working around old diggings or old holes .... got to be where there was gold found by the old timers, away from the diggings the ground gets a bit 'deeper' and a GPX/GPZ would be more suited to potential deeper targets.
Good luck, Tom.

Hey Teemore

Pretty sure Talbot/Amherst area is pretty flogged, the ground is pretty quiet in most areas. found that big piece of junk in an old detector hole (lazy buggers) about 3 pieces of shot came out of one dig which was right next to another detector scrape mark.

Thinking of going to scarsdale area tomorrow, - will be cold but at least its only a 45min drive home. (Colac)
Im a bit wary of the roads heading into the bush in only a 2 wheel drive, plus going out alone I don't like to stray too far from where the car is until i get more familiar with areas.

cheers dave

Geeza
Just keep at it and like many here have said , if your getting small lead shot then eventually you will get gold too.
You just have to walk over it.
Look forward to seeing you post your first nugget sooner or later.
8)

Hey Geeza,
There's quite a few of us weekend warriors planning to get out into the GT over the coming Queens Birthday long weekend.
A great bunch of Bustards (bush turkeys) and fun to camp with, including a roaring bush telly and some nice red; or just do a day trip if that's your style.
Anyway, we'd love to see you, and remember that we were all beginners once and have learned heaps from this forum and from each other along the way. We have formed many good friendships over the years on the gold hunt.
Check: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=22046 if you're interested.
There's generally a few with SDCs who are happy to help, and they always find gold :Y: Many only have 2WDs, so should suit you. Can't guarantee you gold, but with these guys you're better than 50/50 I reckon.

1496305463_img_2346.jpg

Another day of junk, only probably a couple of targets in this lot that didn't sound junky- of well someone has to vacuum the bush of junk.

A big shout out to tony from Ballarat with his 7000 that was swinging near by. He came and grabbed me to share a target noise. It sounded good with both machines. We used my sdc 2300 to dig it out.... gold about 1/2 gram but not mine to keep.

Thanks again tony for sharing the experience and pointers. As many have said I just have to walk over the gold.

I have seen the long weekend meet up plans in the triangle. Have a few things on the Friday and Saturday. - might be keen for Sunday/Monday day trip.

Cheers guys dave

Your defiantly doing the right things Dave by the looks of your results.
Keep at it in a known gold area and you will find some with the SDC

Hey Geeza, you're tuned in right by the look of your finds, just gotta find some good ground to walk over. There's many PAers going out on trips such as the recent Queen's Birthday GT Camp-out. Just join up a few of these and you'll be onto good areas.
Solo is admirable, but the slow road to experience.