Cold weather camping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condor22 said:
If you have a good quality sleeping bag rated to the climate you camp, the more clothes you wear in it, the colder you will be.

Why?, you ask. Well your body heat is what gets you warm and keeps you warm in a bag. The more clothes you wear, the more you insulate your body heat from the bag.....

Gee, I think that might be up for a debate....!!! So you saying naked is better?
Gee I sleep in my snow board pants and im fine.
Got the extra thick air bed, queen size doona half under, and other half over. Minus 5 and fine.
Sorry but I totally disagree with your theory of the more the worse mate.
If its what you say it is, whats trapped inside shouldn't escape

condor22 said:
If you have a good quality sleeping bag rated to the climate you camp, the more clothes you wear in it, the colder you will be.

Why?, you ask. Well your body heat is what gets you warm and keeps you warm in a bag. The more clothes you wear, the more you insulate your body heat from the bag.....

You're a clever fella mate, but I can't agree with you there.
Maybe that statement would hold true for the first 10-20 mins but given time the internals of that sleeping bag whether it comprised of extra clothing will still heat up, and it will be insulated by the outer layer, holding heat in.

DrDuck said:
I had a look at those carinthia bags, Nuggetino, and they look the go, but some are nearly $2000 AUD! They should be good at that price!!!

Yeah that's well out of my price range too. I got one of the lower end models (defence 4) which is around $200. I've had down sleeping bags in the past and they're too fragile for my liking. Can put this one through the wash. Will also hold its insulating properties when saturated. They're heavy bags at around 2kg but fine for my needs.

My bags are rated to -50*c / 5 Season, The reason for that is that no two people feel the cold in the same way, Man made bags are better in the damp/wet because the filling stays in place and does not end up in clumps and most are machine washable, I also have a fleece liner that I can add if the weather gets even colder or if the weather warms up I can use just the fleece liner by it's self, One of my bags has quick release zips so if needed you can just flip it open in under a second if needed and the lower section is lined So if you need to wear your boots at night IE the military then the bag is built to take it.

John.

Electric blanket for me in a tent or swag and diesel heater in the camper trailer (only when it is very cold afcourse).

1495948629_img_1289.jpg
1495948647_img_1290.jpg
Cold nights go with good days ..

Dunno if I like your camp idea Baldy, the odd snake might like to come and join you.
I sometimes put a hammock between trees and run a line above me with a hutchi slung over that line, works well.

Occasional_panner said:
Dunno if I like your camp idea Baldy, the odd snake might like to come and join you.
I sometimes put a hammock between trees and run a line above me with a hutchi slung over that line, works well.

Or camp where the men are men, and the warm wooly sheep are nervous....

I Picked up a couple of pairs of these socks at Target the other day. I'm diabetic, and like to keep my feet warm, even though the circulation is OK.

Simply put, these are outstanding. The inside is a very thick and fine fleecy stuff, and I soon ended up with hot feet inside the house. These are so much better than explorer socks there is no competition. Just the thing for inside the gumboots or waders in Tuena during winter!

1495972654_socks.jpg

Reject shop had some too. Heat machine, but rated a little less at 2.3 tog. Went to get some on the weekend And all gone. I can't remember the price tho. What's the price on the target stuff? It's ok I will google it.

DrDuck said:
JD, they are a medium length - about the size of Explorer Socks.

Hey Doc, If you want any serious long or warm socks give me a call, I can get welly Boots rated to -40 / -50, They make and sell some really good gear for fisherman over here, Some of the kit those guys have is about as good as it gets.

John.

Latest posts