Cold weather camping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one to put under my 7.5cm swag mattress just to see if it keeps the cold out.Have not had a chance to test it out yet.

Not much for comfort, but they will insulate you from cold ground. When I was in the the army, we used say " travel light,freeze at night" we called them " wimp Matt's" , but I always used them in winter
Always had my wimp mat folded behind my pack frame, and sleeping bad inside a vortex bivvy bag. Never got hypothermia and spent some very cold nights out bush in places like paukapunyal and marulan. Better to have one than none.

If you have room,the interlocking rubber mats do a great job of insulating you from cold ground, and they add a fair bit to comfort - primarily by evening things out somewhat. Self inflating mattresses are good too. Foil lined blankets are useful for emergencies, or to put on top of your bedding in very cold conditions.

davent said:
Not much for comfort, but they will insulate you from cold ground. When I was in the the army, we used say " travel light,freeze at night" we called them " wimp Matt's" , but I always used them in winter
Always had my wimp mat folded behind my pack frame, and sleeping bad inside a vortex bivvy bag. Never got hypothermia and spent some very cold nights out bush in places like paukapunyal and marulan. Better to have one than none.
I cant agree more keep warn keep healthy stay alive

My vans got a diesel heater in it, eggshell cover over the mattress , doona and if it's really cold some polar fleece blankets, I don't mind camping in the cold :Y: :Y:
None of this hairy chested shit sleeping on the ground caper :N:

Sydney way mate. I was thinking of using the mat under the mattress that comes with my swag. Was looking at specific insulating mats but they are quite expensive. Was looking at a cheaper alternative

Those mats you're referring to, will make a big difference under a swag, go for it.

For $10 bucks I thought it was a shot. It's more to help insulate rather than a comfort factor, the swag mattress will deliver the comfort.

Get yourself a removalist blanket,double it over and cut it down to the size of your swag matress, keeps you warm and comfy.
I've been out in mine in the new england ranges mid winter with no issues.

Been in the GT for a month now, has been down to -2. Diesel heater is great, shower and loo at the other end of the van for even more concenience.

Done the tent, swag, hutchy and even a bloody parachute and well rid of that part of life. Call it glamping as often as you like, I deserve the creature comforts from now on :) .........

Jaros,

Thanks for the above comments, "effort feeds on appreciation" lol.

As mentioned I am detecting at this time, (2 more weeks) but I will update my Bush Power thread with some updated experience from this trip after getting home. As well as the expense of a new caravan battery due to bad information given to me re the rewire I did.

-2, used to do that chasing trout many years ago, dunno how the tradie trailer would handle it now though!

I snow camp every year with my 4WD Club and have never lost a nights sleep solely because of the cold (alpine blizards and gales are for another post :D ).

My sleeping gear and accommodation are low tech .... read on:-

A canvas apex style 2 man hike tent (2 poles 6 pegs and up in a jiffy and I'll pitch it with a canvas fly if i can be bothered ie it's still daylight but it is worth the effort at any time)

A bed roll consisting of a custom made zippered canvas outer and inside a cotton / polar fleece combo all seasons sleeping bag wrapped in a queen size woolen blanket (double folded) and a yoga/exercise mat under all for a matress. If the tent is pitched on snow I'll place those interlocking HD foam squares under the bed roll for insulation. The canvas outer bag is 2 metre long and has a 1.5 metre long flap sewed to the top that i pull down over my head and torso as a shield from the chill air.

casper

condor22 said:
Been in the GT for a month now, has been down to -2. Diesel heater is great, shower and loo at the other end of the van for even more concenience.

Done the tent, swag, hutchy and even a bloody parachute and well rid of that part of life. Call it glamping as often as you like, I deserve the creature comforts from now on :) .........

x2 a man after my own heart :)

Latest posts