Beginner finds please help what are they

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to metal detecting, first time out this weekend. Not sure what I have found, can anyone help identify items. Probably trash, but had a great time finding them. Found them all at the back of our property (think it is an old house site) found some very thick green glass also.

Pic 1 says Hamilton on it with some sort of logo

1495348644_20170521_161347.jpg

Pic 2 maybe some sort of old brooch has a clasp on back

1495349028_20170521_161421.jpg

Pic 3 Other bits and pieces found

1495349507_20170521_161500.jpg

Here's a hamilton family crest
(good call NeilM) :Y:
1495351461_2017-05-21-17-21-22-1515718189.jpg

rest looks like house site stuff
part of door latch opposing lock
part of harmonica
etc :Y: :D :Y:

Thanks Neil M & Silver,

Started off in my back yard, detector went crazy, kept finding ring pull tabs everywhere.

So thought I would check old home site down back, was heaps of fun finding things, old pieces of glass and pottery also. Ran out of battery on the pointer so had to call it a day.

Silver what one is the harmonica part?

Appreciate your reply's thanks heaps.

In 1814, William Hamilton introduced the egg shaped or torpedo bottle

Maybe a bottle seal related object :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey rockhound
I think that site is going to give a lot more
Go over it a few times very slowly and dig everything

Thanks Wally69, hopefully I might find an old bottle dump down the back somewhere with torpeedo bottles. Found a really thick piece of green broken glass. ;)

Silver I figured out the grill type piece is the harmonica part.
:)

Just seen, glad you worked it out Tally,
the buckle looks big enough to be for horse harness
and maybe that's where the chain is from too.
the two eyelets are off a tarpaulin/tent
and the bit of copper with all the little holes would be off some old lantern type device, the holes would be to ensure good and proper airflow for the flame (just my thoughts). :D

Thanks NeilM & Silver :Y:

Have wanted to get a metal detector for a while now hoped the kids would be interested and get them outside!
Was fairly shure there was an old home site at back of property as there is an old well. Reakon you are right about the harness buckle Silver as my son found a big old draught horse shoe in the area a few years ago.
Can't wait to get back out there and see what I can find. Really interesting to find and learn about the items history.
Still learning NeilM but will go right over the area. Do I dig up all mid tones also? I have a Garrett Ace 400i

Cheers Tally

Great thanks NeilM

Will dig all signals, hope to get out there again for a little bit tomorrow, will post any finds along with more questions ;)

Might need to see the other side of the coin to help there Tally. :Y:

Hi Silver, back of coin is in terrible condition can't make out anything :(

Good call Sandta, from what I can see on front of coin which is most of it, found some pics of exact same coin on internet search.
It is a Queen Victorian Penny. Three types were made first was young queen victoria, then queen victoria with bun head (thats the one I have, 1860-1874) then the third one made was old queen victoria.
Rapt to find something so old, getting addicted to my new hobby already.
Have read that you can soak bronze coins in olive oil. Has anyone tried this? Would like to be able to see back of coin if possible

Found in the members finds section you have found the same victorian penny Silver :Y:

Yours an 1868 penny, can't see the year on mine with the back of coin unreadable

My new finds for today, another old coin, not sure yet what it is as covered in dirt. Bit scared to attempt cleaning coins as new to this and don't know what I am doing :/ More old chain, nails, broken pottery/glass. Found an old Salvation Army Badge?
Does anyone know what the top two metal objects are (maybe old bottle caps?)

1495600685_20170524_141600.jpg

1495600715_20170524_141618.jpg

Latest posts