What is this metal?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all,

I found an old gold mine and broke apart some different rocks from the mullock. This is what came out in the pan, it is magnetic. Can anyone help ID this?

20170514_112928_zpsavopveeb.jpg

It was awhile back but i remember getting excited as they started to show in the pan , then puzzled to what they could be :/ then i noticed flaring and grinder paterns on one bit :rolleyes: , cant say i ever found anymore it seems like i knocked them all loose in the first crushing , goes to show i should have ground the cuts up neat before welding it together :lol:

looks like bits off your dolly bar to me very common to find when bashing up quartz as steel is 6 and quartz or hard slate is 7 on the hardness scale from 1 to 10 diamond being the hardest thing know is 10 here's a question for you how do you cut a diamond ?

Trick question, Diamonds are not cut they are ground.

I was excited too, I thought it could be Silver. I have always chased alluvial Gold. This is my first attempt at hard mining as I am always finding old Chinese mullock up here in NT. Old 95' assay reports for that mullock heap were 7oz/t but I found no free gold. Do you believe it is worth trying to bake it?

Latest posts