barraba / bingara

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmeroz

Aaron
Reaction score
G'day

Trying to organise a long weekend away with my father and wondering if many people know what its like up bingara and woodsreef barraba is like for panning?

Were in newcastle way and looking for somewhere to go that will have a nice chance of seeing some color weather its yellow or other stones?

Or is there somewhere else we should head for thats a similar distance to travel?

Any suggestions or ideas would be good :D

41 views any no suggestions?

Its been about 15 years since iv been out with a pan and just wondering if anyone has some suggestions. Not asking for the exact location of your secret spot

I guess those 41 viewers have never heard of barraba / bingara, I know I haven't :lol:

Have you checked out Nundle, Sofala or Hill End?

Nugget.

Never been there but it does sound like a good area up there to try. Nundle is also an option from Newcastle but again yet to get there myself but will one day.
I have been to Sofala, Hill End, Windeyer, Hargraves areas where I always get at least a few colours panning but the gemstones aren't as common. The good thing about these areas, like Nundle I believe, is the history that you can see/explore on a down day or for a break.
Theres heaps of possibilities, its more a matter of where your comfortable going to try. Good luck whatever you do.

Well I guess if not many from here knows about barraba and bingara then its a good thing for me :D

It looks good on the google earth map file thing for lots of spots.

Was keen on there areas as my partners great grandfather was from up there and of Chinese background.

Haven't been myself but apparently there isn't a single creek in the area that doesn't pay, been wanting to go for a while now... Let us know how you go and good luck!

Would be good to go along with the dubbo crew, just depends on weather I can finish building my walbanker in time :)

GOod to hear thanks garnethawkins. Ill be sure to let everyone know how it goes up that area.

ALways read on here about sofala and hill end so I thought that just means more competition. But sounds like not many get up barraba and bingara way so might be some left for me to find up there

Farmer Oz,

Barraba/ Bingara are well knownfor fossicking .Do your research &you should be rewarded & it's not that far,call in at Nundle on the way .
Beautiful trip even if you don't pick anything up

Pete.

Hi Mate

Ive been up there a few times and its a nice spot, long haul from here though. I normally head up towards upper Bingarra. Theres plenty of old workings up that way. I have noticed many of the accessible creeks up there are at bedrock so you need to head out of the way a bit. Theres a property up there called 3 creeks mine run by Paul. You have to pay to go there but its well worth it. Hes set up to show people how to pan etc or you can go into the creek on the property.

Another area well worth a look up that way is Uralla, Ive been there twice and both times found colour.

don;t forget there are diamonds around bingara aswell i hope to go over there after summer when it starts to cool down again.

Hi Farmeroz,

My Grandparents and Father are from Bingara and I have done a little bit of fossicking there. As I live in Armidale I have only mucked around on Bora Creek and always got a little bit, tend mainly to stay close to home on Rocky or Gwydir rivers. Same as alot of areas now plenty of good history but hard to access.

If you do try the serpantine/jasper area around Bingara its bloody tough on your hands, cuts them to pieces late in the day !

Cheers
Pete

Farmer Oz
I am looking at heading up that way on 6-8th Sept. if you are interested. I have never been up there but will have a few days to have a look around.

Regards

Richard

Pete , thanks ill look up those spots , not worried bout hands getting cut up, always got lots of cuts and metal splinters in my hands from work so wont be anything new :)

Richard, I might be heading up that way around then so ill keep you posted, depends on id I get walbanker made by then

check out WOODSREEF there was working gold mines in the area up until the 80,s. i was working at a mine in the area last year and purchased the narrabri regional government geological record book from miners den parramatta and there were hundreds of places gold was found in the original surveys.
Drive up the manilla road ,there is a section called "fossickers way"

Latest posts