Redneck coin tumbler

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whipped up a coin tumbler for those crusty modern coins..They jogged on the tredmill for 1hr...next time i will leave them for 2hrs..but they turned out good for what they were..Just used some dish washing liquid ..sand...and a couple of handfulls of small rocks.... Do you have a redneck or bogan coin tumbler :lol: :Y:
1494225791_20170508_141843-600x800.jpg
1494225807_20170508_162958-600x800.jpg

B5MECH said:
I use a 44 gallon drum and roll it down a hill Smoky :lol: :Y:
Getting sick of chasing it though :rolleyes: maybe I'll do it at the skate park on the vert ramp next time :eek:
No more running after it :eek:
Top idea Smoky, beats walking on it :lol: :lol:
Im sure you do B5.....All those coins you find mate.....you would need a 44 gal drum :Y: :lol:

Just bloody beautiful Smoky ;) :Y: :lol: :lol: :party:

Smoky bandit said:
Whipped up a coin tumbler for those crusty modern coins..They jogged on the tredmill for 1hr...next time i will leave them for 2hrs..but they turned out good for what they were..Just used some dish washing liquid ..sand...and a couple of handfulls of small rocks.... Do you have a redneck or bogan coin tumbler :lol: :Y:

tailormarc said:
very cool. What do you use inside? Just water?
I used sand ...small rocks and some dishwashing liquid mate...Most of those coins were unreadable and crusty...So i was extremely happy with how they came out :Y:

A mate in WA did the treadmill thing, but not so redneck-ish. ;)
I will try to find the details and pics then put them up.

As shooters we are heading the route of Stainless Steel rotary tumblers, these have been used for jewellery and stone polishing for years,
but are now showing their worth for polishing brass.

So we are always on the lookout for the footpath freebie "dreadmills" to convert to a higher purpose. :lol: :lol:
Find a treadmill and strip it down for length reduction, and polishing production, bit of wire juggling and away ya go. :Y:

But as you guys would likely know there is a hundred ways to skin this cat, just search YouTube.
A lot of guys just use their wood or metal lathe. (and concrete mixers :D )

1494318117_treadmill_2.jpg

1494318117_treadmill_3.jpg

1494318117_treadmill1.jpg

The older dreddmills come with a basic speed controller, easily removed from the handles and reconnected.
Take off the conveyor belt, cut and shut.
And you can find containers at Bunnings or even Supacheap, blue with screw on black lids drum shape.
Use fine gravel like fish tank gravel 3-5mm, some dish liquid detergent and you are up and running.
Ideally put some paddles inside your drum like a concrete mixer for best internal movement.

Shall I do a DIY on this one for the forum ?
I have all the parts x 4, so it would just be a matter of an hour or two to build,
then a little more to assemble the DIY.
;) :D

I'll get Kato to do it, she can cut, weld, and work with tools - not bad for a 12yr old girl she was doing this at 6yrs. LOL
I am a bad influence. :( She is my only son. LOL

With a bit of ingenuity this could be the basis for a trommel screen setup ........ :eek:

Holy crap Danny..well done mate..I can only imagine how many more coins you would have had if only you had a X TERRA 705.....but still a good effot for the CTX :eek: :D :D :D :D :p :p :p ]:D ]:D ]:D Ohhhh yer i think you may need to use B5s 44 gallon tumbler for that haul of coins :Y: :Y: :lol:

Latest posts