FRANKENSLUICE !

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.
Looking for a bit of feeed back on the frankensluice!
Picked up the river sluices off a mate of my old man, trolly and pump from Bunnings the rest I had kicking around.
All up I wouldn't have broken the 150 dollar mark, high-banking on a budget..
Any obvious problems you guys can see arising please let me know.
The pump is 7,000lph, and I have a feeling that could be a little too much?
I know she's a bit rough but I reckon it could be a goer...any feedback would be appreciated!
Cheers and beers, NUGS.

1494046181_dsc_0111.jpg

1494046181_dsc_0118.jpg

1494046181_dsc_0123.jpg

1494046181_dsc_0126.jpg

1494046181_dsc_0129.jpg

Here is what I have found since joining, mostly from panning and a lot a lot of walking around leech, tick, and mosquito ridden filthy water. Hopefully the frankensluice can make things a little bit easer on the back and the wrists.
Do youse reckon I'm getting close to a gram? My ultimate goal is go get enough to make a couple of rings ;)

1494047596_dsc_0135.jpg

I reckon theres a bit more than a gram there but its deceiving stuff.
I think with trial and error you will tune your setup to work , anything would be quicker than panning :Y: .
If you have trouble just concentrate on tuning one sluice until you get the flow and angle right the do the same for the other, are you putting gravel into the white bucket or onto the wire mesh over the riffles ?

Cheers Mackka!
Its a good way of staying fit hey!
Despite the nugs money name I'm not in it for the money, but maybe the nugs though ;).
We are so lucky in this country and to be free and able to spend time in the bush, its something i feel every one should be taking advantage of!
Also, if anyone on here has made rings in the past and would part with some of their knowledge, please feel free to pm me.
I have a few questions that youtube just isn't answering.

Thanks for your reply aussiefarmer!
So I dump unclassified material straight into the "nugget bucket" then proceed to rake it with my hands over the first bit of mesh, then I flick the rocks off when I feel they are clean.
Using dirty water it has been hard to truly see what's going on, once again I feel like the water could be pushing some fines out.
The bottom sluice is the one I'm most concerned about keeping true, as I feel the top one is just to stratify and screen to an appropriate size to then run down the bottom sluice.
I reckon you're right in needing to fine tune, trial and error I guess.
I'm running the bottom sluice at the standard angle, should I run it at less of an angle or more of an angle with less water?
This is probably one of the things I will find out after time and fine tuning, as you said.

Thanks again boss

I personaly think the angle is set by how much water you have flowing , if you have alot of water the junk will clear with less angle and if your struggling with water you can run a steeper angle to increase water speed to shift junk, every pump and sluice is different and sometimes i shut down without touching the pump throttle and dont shift sluice and would swear its flowing different when i restart :rolleyes: .
Your probably got the right idea by letting the top run classify and put your time into getting the lower run tuned in .

Ha ha ha, aussiefarmer isn't that funny, water will move and shake the way it wants to hey.
So I guess it would be hard to find a machine that doesn't require fine tuning every time you start it up, thats good to know.
Should one avoid fiddling with the sluice after you've been shovelling for a while or is it ok to mess with it? I'm worried after its been filled the slightest movement may wash out a riffle?
Appreciate the feedback!

Put in a weekend of changing and playing around , dont worry about loses from moving or kicking it , its better to learn what works early then to do it wrong for months ,
try to pan off your sluice in 3 sections each time if the bulk of the golds at the top :Y: :Y: in the middles ok and if theres more than 5% in the bottom 3rd you can bet your ballz your losing gold . Buckets or tubs will assist in this by dipping and washing mats in sections and you can wash the floor in sections as you go .
Take the time and pan the 3 sections before digging again so you can see how early you are trapping the gold and adjust accordingly , i used to only get 1 to 3 specks in the bottom 3rd once i dialed it in so 1 or 3 percent approx :Y: alot of the time zero with most gold caught in first 6 inches.

That little level you have there , you can get one with a rotating degree bubble , mines a stanely and that way you can rotate it to 8or10 and set your sluice to it ,
or muck around until your sluice works better than ever and use it to get the exact degree its sitting at:Y: i will post a pic of mine its a valuable tool to garuantee consistancy when setting up :Y:

My point is its better to look like a fool for a weekend instead of years :Y:

Legendary reply there aussiefarmer, true champion.
I will definitely clean out this way next time! Although after seeing the latest wallbanker I'm feeling like chucking my lot of scrap :8 .
Would be good to see this level you're taking about, to be able to see the deg would be quite handy.
All I use the level for is to level the trolly, would end up eye balling the sluice for final tune.
Quite a few wise words in there, again I really appreciate the input. Cheers !

Its a stanely fatmax , notice the degrees and rotatating bubble level
1494067966_img_20170506_204643_935.jpg
1494068020_img_20170506_204706_550.jpg

Its brillant to work out the angle you have or to set the angle you want :Y:
If you are going to spend some bucks i seriously recomend the dream matt :Y:

Yeah that little level looks like the key, haven't noticed one with the deg before, thanks for the pictures mate. The dream matt looks great hey, I'm dealing with carpet, moss expanded mesh and bloody ribbed matting to fill the gaps at the side hahaha.

Dream mats simple and effective , i loved my riffles and expaned with moss but sick of all the cons it would catch and have gone from 6 cups to 1 for clean outs .
Try what you have before losing cofidence and spending a heap of $$ , i was getting moss from bunnings at a good price it was in their carpet rubber section and they just cut what you need . If you cant find it and are to broke to source some i will post you one of mine if you need it .

Gday marksman! I'm in Batemans bay, have been meaning to try hunt you down at the old ford, not stalking i swear ;) though alas its been hard to get out for more than a couple of hours lately. Have you been there much the last few months?

thats ok mate no worries i have a few stalkers at the moment NOT on here :8 cant fart without them knowing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
most weekends i am there although i do have another spot i also do which gives me good colour
just looking at the frank i have spare spaghetti mat and rib mat that you can have if you want its just sitting in the shed
also tubes of sealant if there are any gaps as gold will find any flaws and disappear
also other stuff that you may be able to use (if i havent got it i can sorce it anyway for you)
also the hose you are using if its ribbed inside that will cut your water flow down as well so i have some smooth bore hose around somewhere as well
i also run a electric pump 12000lt per hour
i also see its been down to the pub and its legless might be able to help you there as well
or i take it you use it set up on the trolley ?????
and let me make it clear when i offer help or material i do not want any payment i do it to help others

I would be horned to attend a class at the school of marksman! Although i must reciprocate, i think i read on a past post that you dont mind the odd cup of coffee down by the river? Maybe i can sort you out along those lines perhaps? may i ask do you percolate? just got into it and its great! :Y:

And thanks heaps for your post Marksman! I really appreciate the gesture and kindness!
Looking forward to catching up one day :Y:

Latest posts