Google Maps advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Let's say you did a lot of research and finally pin pointed a location you want to try out, how would you do this? GPS on the phone? maps? what would you best use to get to that location?

Also, a lot of you guys are in deep forests, streams, creeks where nature has taken control, if you go alone what do you do to not get lost? I mean gold can make a persons mind go mental which can lead you in to deeper and deeper areas. What do you arm yourself with if you go alone and end up in deep areas away from your car or anyone? Also, dont you people get scared of wild animals or like I dont know dodgy people? :eek:

The GPS coordinates are on the bottom of the screen when viewing with google earth... So are the heights of the area being looked at.. :D

I transfer the google information to a paper 1:25K Topo map and the map goes with me into the bush. Also have the topos on my phone but I was navigating off topo maps long before handheld GPS and phones so I find it not overly necessary to refer to the phone.

Ben78 said:
I transfer the google information to a paper 1:25K Topo map and the map goes with me into the bush. Also have the topos on my phone but I was navigating off topo maps long before handheld GPS and phones so I find it not overly necessary to refer to the phone.

Ben78 - a fellow map reader!! Give me a map and a Silva compass and I'm away.

Always take the necessary precautions when you venture
Inland.
My immediate kit:
Food
Water
Map
Compass or phone
Whistle
First aid kit ( electrical tape & super glue included )
Dry kit of clothes
Tarp & ropes.
Poo tickets

Then we move on too prospecting gear.

I take a bag with my prospecting gear, no map (but study it intently before departure), no GPS, no phone, a knife of good quality and enough food and water for one day and generally wish for something to go wrong... and 1 pair of socks and a garbage bag/drybag. my way isn't for everyone but I grew up having 'Little adventures'. as for transferring data from a map to what you actually see on the ground, it isn't that difficult, look for identifiable landmarks (river bends, rocky outcrops etc) also look at the elevation, as Kawman said this is normally shown, you can then use it and your entry point as a reference, also a map is (generally) showed as north at the top of the page, then just familiarise yourself with which way you are travelling/returning and start out small.
I DO NOT ENDORSE THIS PRACTICE OR GOING ANYWHERE ALONE OFF THE BEATEN TRACK AND ALWAYS LET SOMEONE ELSE KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING!!

CapnWheato said:
I take a bag with my prospecting gear, no map (but study it intently before departure), no GPS, no phone, a knife of good quality and enough food and water for one day and generally wish for something to go wrong... and 1 pair of socks and a garbage bag/drybag. my way isn't for everyone but I grew up having 'Little adventures'. as for transferring data from a map to what you actually see on the ground, it isn't that difficult, look for identifiable landmarks (river bends, rocky outcrops etc) also look at the elevation, as Kawman said this is normally shown, you can then use it and your entry point as a reference, also a map is (generally) showed as north at the top of the page, then just familiarise yourself with which way you are travelling/returning and start out small.
I DO NOT ENDORSE THIS PRACTICE OR GOING ANYWHERE ALONE OFF THE BEATEN TRACK AND ALWAYS LET SOMEONE ELSE KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING!!

That's interesting. You say you generally hope for something to go wrong. I had a chuckle at this. What sort of things do you have in mind?

cant read a map for the life of me -_- so I am relying on other stuff maybe 21st century equipment more then the old fashion way haha

lshallperish said:
cant read a map for the life of me -_- so I am relying on other stuff maybe 21st century equipment more then the old fashion way haha

while we are on the subject of not being able to read maps , what made you choose that for your user name ?

cheers

Hey AuSearch, you know, the regular stuff... picking a direction at high noon, flash flooding/being cut off, getting lost or even just having your ute pinched. it all makes for a bit of excitement.

HeadsUp said:
lshallperish said:

while we are on the subject of not being able to read maps , what made you choose that for your user name ?

cheers

You know exactly why, or else you wouldnt ask. LOL

If you cant read a map; learn to! It will be 30 minutes of your life you will use forever! map to ground is THE only wayto find the old places prospectors went and only way to be sure your navigational aids are accurate! alu

Do people actually find maps hard to read?

NOt trying to put anyone down at all but I thought its pretty much common sense and logical thinking. Maps arnt like rocket science or anything... a map should be easier to read than trying to learn an ipad and loading stuff and all that. A piece of paper should be easier that technology wouldnt you think?

farmeroz said:
Do people actually find maps hard to read?

NOt trying to put anyone down at all but I thought its pretty much common sense and logical thinking. Maps arnt like rocket science or anything... a map should be easier to read than trying to learn an ipad and loading stuff and all that. A piece of paper should be easier that technology wouldnt you think?

Not in this age haha

Its funny I guess... like watching my 4 yeah old girl use the ipad and my phone, watching what she can do on these things but she cant read or write her name yet :)

farmeroz said:
Its funny I guess... like watching my 4 yeah old girl use the ipad and my phone, watching what she can do on these things but she cant read or write her name yet :)

She gets auto correct to type her name haha

farmeroz said:

thanks for the post guys.

Hello, i was wondering if anyone knows what it means when you see dotted lines around sections of a state forest or national park, usually is filled with red also. Cheers.

Latest posts