"Returned from Active Service" badge

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
GH herer

Kato and I went away for a few days looking for new sites and think we may have found some crackers if we can gain permissions.

Two places we did visit were public and one in particular produced for Kato.
She found a "Returned from Active Service" badge which seemed to be part of a spill, we want to see it we could identify
the original owner of the badge and return it to him or his family that may even still be living in the area being country.

There is a serial number on the back, how do we go about tracking this item please?

Kato will do a write up and add pics, we had some good little adventures. :Y: :)

Hi Kato
also ask the DVA member of the RSL club they have a lot of ways to find that sort of thing out
what was the service number on it i could pass it on to my daughter and see what see can find out if you like

LOL

It's still GH here.

Kato is watching Master Chef recording over my shoulder.

A 250154 is stamped into the back, put it into the website but no takers.
Would be great if I can help Kato locate the owner or family.
It is in great condition as a bonus. :party:

ok i will pass it on and see what she can find
Some badges were issued with production numbers on the reverse. These are not recorded by the Directorate of Honours and Awards and current stocks do not have numbers.
so that could be a production number not a service number

Your best bet is to send a message to The National Archives Of Australia (NAA) who hold a register for these tri-service badges which were issued by the Department of Defence during both great wars.

It can take a while for a response but they come back with the details you'll need to track down any relatives.

Hi
I have done some checking with some guys that have the badges and they told me that the number on the back is a production number not a service number and the issuing people never kept a record as to who they were issued to they just sent them out in the mail to the last knowen address
Still waiting for my daughter to get back to me

GH here.

Thanks Marksman,

I fear that she "Kato" will never get to return that badge, I too suspect it is a production number.
But we may get an idea of when it was made and then it at least has some history for her, if the owner is not located.
She was looking forward to returning it. :Y:

:(

I think you'll get a positive response from the NAA. There is definitely a register of both ww1 and ww2 issue of these badges.

Can you put up a photo mate
Below is some light reading for you ]:D

Returned from Active Service Badge

The purpose of the Returned from Active Service Badge (RASB) is to recognise Australian Defence Force members who have returned from active or warlike service during military campaigns in operational areas.
The RASB is not issued posthumously.
Some badges were issued with production numbers on the reverse. These are not recorded by the Directorate of Honours and Awards and current stocks do not have numbers.

The Returned from Active Service Badge (RASB) is issued to Australian Defence Force personnel who have rendered warlike service.
Its purpose is to enable individuals to display their involvement in warlike service while in civilian attire, where the wearing of a medal denoting such service is not appropriate or possible. The ability for veterans to wear a badge recognising the service and sacrifice involved in rendering war service to Australia is a befitting tribute to these veterans.
As the award of the RASB is not governed by statute, it has been the practice of Australian Governments to determine conditions of eligibility for each conflict in accordance with the circumstances existing at the time.
Contemporarily, it is awarded automatically with the Australian Active Service Medal 1945-75 and current Australian Active Service Medal.

Australian Active Service Medal 1945-75
The Australian Active Service Medal 1945-75 was approved in 1997. It may be awarded for service in, or in connection with prescribed warlike operations from 3 September 1945 until 13 February 1975.
Design
The medal is nickel-silver. The obverse has a Federation Star surrounded by the legend THE AUSTRALIAN ACTIVE SERVICE MEDAL 1945 - 1975.
The reverse has a wreath of mimosa surrounding a plaque showing the recipient's details.

Australian Active Service Medal

The Australian Active Service Medal was introduced in 1988 to recognise service in prescribed warlike operations since 14 February 1975.
Design
The medal is nickel-silver. The obverse has a Federation Star within a wreath of mimosa. On the reverse a laurel wreath surrounds the inscription FOR ACTIVE SERVICE.
Ribbon
The ribbon colours are primarily variations of the Australian colours of green and gold with a central red stripe symbolising the dangers faced in warlike situations.
Clasps
A clasp with the name of the theatre or action for which the award is made is presented with the medal.
A further award of the Australian Active Service Medal in another area is recognised by the issue of an additional clasp. Additional clasps are worn above previously awarded clasps, in order of date of receipt.
The following clasps have been issued for the medal:
Balkans
Cambodia
East Timor
ICAT (International Coalition Against Terrorism)
Iraq
Iraq 2003
Kuwait
Middle East
Namibia
Rwanda
Sierra Leone
Somalia
Vietnam 1975
http://www.defence.gov.au/Medals/Australian/Badges/Returned-Active-Service-Badge.asp

Well I hope your right Chris, Kato would be weeing herself.....

Thanks Marksman, will get Kato to read this after school today.
We are now thinking WW2, when she first found it the coins surrounding it made us think WW1.
Will take pics and get them up tonight.

hi
little miss marksman got back to me today the number you put up does not show up as a service number (on her system) and she has asked the seniors on her ship and she was told by them that it would be as far as they know a production number
sorry but thats all i can find for you
let me know the response from the NAA
so if its different i can pass it on to her
thanks

Kato here.

Found these up in a bank of dirt to the side of a gravel car park at a local Community Dance Hall in the country.
The Returned from Active Service badge, brass face, 1938 Half Penny, and 1918 Threepence were all found next to each other and at the same depth. SCORE ! The 1908 Half Penny within a couple of steps of the badge and other finds, again, at the same depth. With of course plenty of trash, iron and 22 rifle casings, all in all, amazing finds and made up for the previous hunt which was a bummer. Can't wait to go back and try the Hall again, maybe even around some surrounding Peppercorn Trees.

Returned from Active Service Badge
1493977707_img_0518.jpg

1493977768_img_0520.jpg

1938 Half Penny
1493978601_img_0512.jpg

1908 Half Penny
1493978602_img_0513.jpg

Silver !! 1918 Three pence
1493978602_img_0514.jpg

Walking stick part maybe?
1493978603_img_0516.jpg

Latest posts