Detecting on state reserves in Queensland.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Me and a mate were out detecting an old cricket pitch next to the local hall today and got abused by a local cane farmer who is the president of the hall committee.
We were having a great time, I found my first florin and my oldest coin yet, an 1879 three pence. Pat (my mate) found four nice silvers and some interesting artifacts.

About beer o'clock 2pm Pat heard some bloke yelling. I couldn't hear anything but threshold noise until he was a couple of meters away. What happened next was a very heated conversation with the old d""khead trying to tell us that we were ruining the hall grounds and me trying to tell him to show me where I'd dug but he wouldn't stop yelling and listen to anything we were saying. In the end, Pat's Italian passion kicked in and the old bloke thought he'd better back off. I told him to call the police but he refused to do that and instead threatened to go for backup. We made a point of swinging for the next hour while he circled us in his vehicle to try to intimidate us.

We will be back to go over the rest of the area in the not too distant future.
Has anyone else had problems with people on state land before? Even the old mayor "Ray Duffy" told me that "it's council land and no one can stop you from using it as it's a recreation reserve".

Any advice on legality's or how to deal with ranting idiots are welcome.

Daggy

ranting idiots ---- put your head phones back on and keep going just ignore them that relay gets up their nose
OR call the police yourself if you know you are in the right then you have nothing to worry about

I've heard some councils in QLD frown upon detecting in parks or sportsfields, if a council officer/ranger asked you to leave then you would want to leave quick smart but if you didn't make a mess and there were no visible holes then I can't see what the problem is.

If the bloke is who he says he was and wouldn't call the police then that seems a bit odd to me as well, if he genuinely thought you were in the wrong and causing a problem then he probably would have called the police without even approaching you in my opinion.

G'day Heatho

After talking to a few locals about this bloke, they all say he is a short tempered a***hole. I was thinking about the reason he wouldn't call the police and wondered if it was the fact that all his workers are riding around with no helmets on the farm quads. Even his grand kids are riding without them.

The funny thing is, the hall isn't hired out any more as someone trashed the place at a twentyfirst years ago. The Bucca pony club used to use the grounds but due to an argument with members they were kicked out. The tennis court is overgrown and unrepairable and the cricket pitch is broken up and covered in grass.
The only time the hall gets used now is for the dawn service every ANZAC day.

Daggy

Maybe this local has scared EVERY one away, so that he has it all to himself.

You have the right to go about your business without being abused or threatened by anyone,
maybe take some video of his antics and the riders on quads,
suggest you will be calling police to attend to his OHS issues and start dialing. :D :lol: :lol:

I would ignore him unless there is an escalation, get a letter of permission and if he gives ya the shits, call the cops asap.
Pitty about these people being around. :(

Hey Daggy, is that his house just to the north of the hall?
Makes it hard when he can see you guys through his window.

P.S Post some pics of your coins for us to ogle :)

It is Ktm. And it's also the site of the original Bucca school.

Here's the pics for you.
My total predicimal count for this site.
1493760100_predecs-optimized.jpg

My first florin.
1493760176_florin-optimized.jpg

My oldest yet.
1493760221_1879-optimized.jpg

Close up of the other silvers.
1493760288_silv-optimized.jpg

I love the way the lemon juice cleans the silvers but I can't find a way to clean the coppers to my liking.

That is a nice little haul of pre decs.Definitely need to get back to that site.
Did your mate find a similar amount?

Good onya Daggy, feels great pulling a florrie up hey ,... well done on all scores. :Y:
8) :p :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
:rainbow: O:) :party:

Beaut finds mate, now I know this may sound a little funky but a lot of blokes I know throw the Pennies into a sealed microwave container, add engine oil to cover the pennies then zap them for two minutes. Mate I have seen their coins and they look awesome and keep the patina on them. I am yet to do it myself which may be today so I will give it a go and see how they turn out, the microwave I have is old anyway so if it stuffs up all good I can get a new one. :Y: :Y:

Microwaved for 1 minute then stopped at sparks from coins...

1493774980_pennies.jpg

1493774999_penny.jpg

I Used 2 stroke oil which is green, I think I will find an old pot and boil them in motor oil to see how they come out. :Y:

Thanks fellas, yes I was so excited I nearly did a florrie dance. As soon as I realized what it was, I bolted straight over to Pat to brag, he hasn't got one yet.

Thanks for the advice gda, I'll try cooking in engine oil next time.

Daggy

Congrats on the florin and other silvers, going by your desription of the state of the hall and surrounding amenities, your troublemaker should really get a life and mind his own business. If the mayor says it's ok to detect, get a signed note from him and shove it in front of this guy - that should shut him up.

We also copped the ire of some locals from a nearby town, that was until the council ranger paid a visit and gave us his blessing to continue detecting. Too many paranoid folk in the world these days making mountains out of molehills. :rolleyes:

Well I had some good news today concerning the hall.

One of the members of the Bucca recreation club brought a boat in for repairs today and told me they are holding a public meeting at the hall on the 16th.
They are going to oust the hall committee. They want to start family days there and fix up the tennis courts but the old bloke hasn't allowed anyone to use the place since 2013.
He is the actual president and wont lift a finger to help maintain the place, the council comes in a slashes the area for ANZAC DAY.
The locals are sick of him and the ones I have told about my incident, loved the fact that we told him where to go as he's been intimidating the community for ages.

Can't wait to be there on the 16th.

Woohoo

Daggy